The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Technical Camera Images

Ben Rubinstein

Any chance you can go during a quieter season, when it's a lot earlier or too hot for tourists, etc? Shooting in Jerusalem as you can imagine I've often had to deal with exactly the same things, often it helps to get the timing right even if it means waiting 6 months until you can get a clear scene and some peace and quiet.

Shashin

So very true! this kind of aesthetic has been around for a very very long time and far from finding new ways of artistic expressions, but it really appeals to me. Timelessness I believe is a good thing. Thanks!
But isn't this what the artist does. It isn't finding something new, it is just building on the old and putting it together in new and interesting ways. And I prefer your interpretation of this craft to the Victorians. Although, they were darn dedicated--36 images and six weeks of work:

http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Oscar-gustave-rejlander_two_ways_of_life.jpg

danlindberg

Any chance you can go during a quieter season, when it's a lot earlier or too hot for tourists, etc? Shooting in Jerusalem as you can imagine I've often had to deal with exactly the same things, often it helps to get the timing right even if it means waiting 6 months until you can get a clear scene and some peace and quiet.
Unfortunately no such thing. It is incredibly popular and if it is open for the general public, there are numerous busloads every opening hour. Nowadays you must have booked a guide to enter most of the buildings to be able to see them inside. If you have no guide, then you are pretty restricted and on top the guides have timeschedules to follow.

There is only one way - to get assigned by Alhambra themselves! I am actually looking into this possibility and I have an 'inside-guy' that I am going to contact to see what could be done. There are reference images to be had in there.....

torger

Ice and snowmobile track.

The image was shot a couple of days ago. I shot it perpendicularly straight on without any shifting or tilting, so it's not so much a demonstration of tech cam features. I'm very pleased with the image though.

Linhof Techno, Leaf Aptus 75, Scheider Digitar 47XL at f/16.

Normally I shoot these type of subjects with longer lens than the 47XL (the SK72 is my favourite) as I don't want any perspective effects in them, but I needed to get the structures at the right scale and still reach over the camera to focus and shoot, so I needed to use a wider lens.

vjbelle

First post in this thread..... A once very stately entrance in Venice.

Victor

Alpa STC Schneider 100mm Digitar Phase IQ180

rayyen

International Finance Center, Hong Kong
Alpa Max - HR90 - IQ260

Waiting for more than 6 months, finally it arrived : )
My Alpagon HR90 ;D

torger

When I saw this rock the other day sticking out of the snow I immediately knew what image I wanted, an isolated rock on a white backgorund, that would look artificial but when you look carefully you see that the surrounding white is actually real snow. The lower contrast of the bright snow enhances the effect. The "artificial" look is also enhanced by the special structure of the marble rock.

Unfortunately nature was not as kind as I needed to fulfill my "inner image". I could not fully isolate my rock, but got some additional rock in the upper right corner. What to do? Drop the idea, or fake it?

I've attached the original, and an edited version which shows my idea. I generally don't edit my images (remove things), but in this case I might do an exception. If you tell the audience what you've done I think it's okay.

Shot with Linhof Techno, SK90 and Aptus 75.

miska

Torger,
I think it's ok to manipulate the image and clone out things, if you're honest with the viewer. Another way to make this kind of manipulation more "acceptable" is to make even more modifications - like turn it into B/W, bump the contrast. That way, the picture becomes more "artsy" and one expects it to be less a representation of "reality".

gerald.d

Location, location, location.

Oh, and of course timing, timing timing ;)

Schneider APO-Digitar 6.8/210, ALPA Max, IQ180