The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Technical Camera Images

jagsiva

The images I post now seems badly compressed. Maybe I should pick up a few hints from someone in the know as how to maintain (atleast some of) the technical excellence from the originals.
When I save for web at 1000px wide (ps cc) it shows fine on my monitor.

Then I upload that image to photobucket.com and then link it in the post here on getdpi. Somewhere in that process the image looses a lot of its glory.....where am I going wrong?
I noticed that a couple days ago as well. Not something I have seen before, so perhaps there is a change in the posting chain somewhere.

MGrayson

Subscriber and Workshop Member
Dan,

I have started linking to photos on Flickr and have been getting much better display on GetDPI. That may be due to proper Retina display integration, as it links to images with twice the end resolution. This may be undesirable if you want to limit the resolution viewers can screen-grab, but it makes for much better (sharper) displayed images. Look at posts by Michiel Schierbeek or Barry Haines in the "Fun with Sony A7..." thread for good examples.

Best,

Matt

darr

The images I post now seems badly compressed. Maybe I should pick up a few hints from someone in the know as how to maintain (atleast some of) the technical excellence from the originals.
When I save for web at 1000px wide (ps cc) it shows fine on my monitor.

Then I upload that image to photobucket.com and then link it in the post here on getdpi. Somewhere in that process the image looses a lot of its glory.....where am I going wrong?
I think it is photobucket's server compressing the image files. I host my own website for file storage and image linking, and my images never look compressed after linking here, so I do not think it is this forum.

Darr

mmbma

i have the same issue. i use flickr but still find my images to be un sharp. Member Kimyeesan seems to be able to post razor crisp images. i wonder what service are you using to host your pictures?

danlindberg

Thank you all! I read some info on photobucket and it actually says that it does not compress any uploaded images.

I'm testing the image below in that instead of saving it in photoshop as 'save for web' I kept it at 300dpi and saved as normal jpg but downsized to 1000px. Does it look crisper to you?

Shashin

Thank you all! I read some info on photobucket and it actually says that it does not compress any uploaded images.

I'm testing the image below in that instead of saving it in photoshop as 'save for web' I kept it at 300dpi and saved as normal jpg but downsized to 1000px. Does it look crisper to you?
Crisper than what? (OK. Saw the link, but it tells me to go to a sign in page.)

The 300dpi number is a placeholder and nothing intrinsic to the image--the pixel dimensions are the only number that counts. After downsizing, I always sharpen. Then I save using Save-for-web to control file size. I do not resize in save-for-web.

If the place the image is displayed is resized for the site, then I am not sure what you can do--in my blog, the blog image is scaled, but shown at actual size if you click on it. The scaled version is always a little soft.

danlindberg

Shashin, good question lol, crisper than what!! Just me thinking maybe a little quick....:p It was more a general feel if it felt sharper than my previous images...

WildRover

Dan,

I don't feed my flickr or 500px accounts, and am only half way at getting a photo shelter site going. So what I have done with the few photos that I've posted is to go through the GetDPI site itself. I upload a photo to the gallery, and then link to that.

In photoshop, I'm using Tony Kuypers actions, and he has a real simple and effective way to save images for the web. You choose a size to save at and the action resizes your original and pops up several layers that you can then fine tune to your liking. One layer sharpens more aggressively and produces more haloing and has a luminous mask attached to it. On this mask I usually paint 100% black with a small brush over the high contrast edges that will show the haloing. The other sharpening layer is less aggressive. I usually opt to sharped less than his default and lower the opacity of each of these two layers. It's fast and easy and does a good job presenting the image. I then use the save for web to get my jpg.

Don't know if this helps. By the way…your stuff is great!!!!!

Rick

Last edited:

PeterL

I use the PS scripts what Jack (site owner) has created to resize image, works perfectly when you save images on the GetDPI Gallery itself, meaning the image in the post looks exactly as it does on my Retina display shown with Preview (Mac). PM Jack to get the scripts, there is a small charge, but well worth it - it supports the site after all :).

Cheers, -Peter

Mitch

I'm a long time member and lurker just gathering up the nerve to ante into this game with so many impressive photographers, this my initial photo post.

Bandon Oregon, A/S Factum, SK60, IQ180, 2mm tilt, 5 frame stitch, warmed up a bit

Mitch Rouse

Dogs857

Jump in Mitch, the water is fine.

I always have the same feeling posting in here, there are some great photographers in this forum. Never quite sure if I will be up to par.

However, from your first photo I think you will fit right in :)

Mitch

Here's one from Mesquite Dunes, Death Valley
A/S Factum|HR40|IQ180|a bit of tilt| 4 frame stitch

Mitch Rouse