The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Technical Camera Images

Pemihan

El Pinacate lava field along El Camino Del Diablo, Arizona, 2015.
Cambo WRS-1250, IQ160, 40HR-W

- - - Updated - - -

Wildflowers at El Pinacate lava field along El Camino Del Diablo, Arizona, 2015.
Cambo WRS-1250, IQ160, 40HR-W

Smoothjazz

I love this- it looks like you captured just the right moment in time with the waves crashing.
The foam and spray have just the right texture- just the right precise timed exposure.
What shutter speed did you use?

Storm Surge
Alpa MAX, SK 150, Credo 50, 25'+ waves....

Frederic

Some recent industrial heritage jobs. Available light with A/S factum + HR 40 + IQ260 (custom profiled using Torger's dcamprof).

danlindberg

My local signature mountain. La Concha in Sierra Blanca, Marbella (Spain). We have had pretty extreme winds for the last few days (and heavy rain). Today it is still very windy but with blue skies and fast moving clouds. I set up the Alpa FPS at a standard viewing point and just waited for different cloud formations and shadowpatterns on the mountain itself. I stood there for about an hour and shot about 20 exposures in that time. I could ofcourse have blended one shadow formation with another cloud formation, but this image appeared at the end of my 'hunt'. Single capture with Credo 60 cropped to 2:1. F8, 1/375, 100iso.

danlindberg

Even if technology has leaped since the 22mp fat pixel back was introduced, it still has its place. Colours are vibrant and natural yet not oversaturated. It produces lovely texture and it holds up very well to print 70x100cm prints.
Coupled with the minimalistic Alpa TC & Rodie 32 it really is beautiful little package....
Photograph below is pretty much straight from the back!

rga

I love this- it looks like you captured just the right moment in time with the waves crashing.
The foam and spray have just the right texture- just the right precise timed exposure.
What shutter speed did you use?
I'm sorry but I don't remember. Probably around 1/125... Thanks for your kind comments!

MrSmith

A home coffee roaster. a plastic consumer product made to look slightly more exciting than a home coffee roaster plastic consumer product.
sony A7r/Actus?80mm apo digitar

Attachments

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
Even if technology has leaped since the 22mp fat pixel back was introduced, it still has its place. Colours are vibrant and natural yet not oversaturated. It produces lovely texture and it holds up very well to print 70x100cm prints.
Coupled with the minimalistic Alpa TC & Rodie 32 it really is beautiful little package....
Photograph below is pretty much straight from the back!

Dan,

You realize that the Phase One dealers are now actively banning Dan Lindberg tech cam images from the Aptus 5-II. They are bad for business :)

:thumbs:

MGrayson

Subscriber and Workshop Member
Worry not, Graham!

Nine out of ten will put Resolution, Live View, and DR ahead of beautiful rendition and color.

--Matt

GrahamWelland

Worry not, Graham!

Nine out of ten will put Resolution, Live View, and DR ahead of beautiful rendition and color.

--Matt
Resolution. ... smesholution ... who really cares if you actually print. I miss my P25+ because it was almost perfect out of camera and printed such beautiful images. My higher resolution backs have been beautiful, in fact, even more beautiful, but I do feel often that I have to work to make them work as straight images.

Dan, I'd buy another Aptus II 5 in an instant. If it had a square full frame sensor it would be even faster than an instant. Heck, square cropped is OK if the colour and tonality remains oh so beautiful.

GrahamWelland

Worry not, Graham!

--Matt
sadly I believe you are quite right. More is more to most, more is less to the rest of us languishing with our boots in the mud and actually printing images versus consigning them to the big bit bucket in the sky.

torger

But I want to pixel peep! ;)

Anyway I think few would have went for MFD if resolution wasn't a part of it. Once in it though you can choose to stay at your older gear if resolution is adequate.

The consumer part of me is a bit bored with my gear (Linhof Techno, many Schneider Digitars and a H4D-50 back) because I see no reason whatsoever to upgrade. It's not the perfect system, but all alternatives are from my perspective less perfect in terms of handling, movement flexibility, weight, and shooting experience. I have nothing to buy. Arggghh. What a tough problem to have!

I guess I just have to get out shooting instead.

danlindberg

The two main downsides of the Aptus for me is actually not so much the 22mp but rather native iso25 and noise in longish exposures. The combination gives me a hard time in many of my favorite conditions and shooting style but when the light is there....yes, I actually prefer the output files compared to the Credo 60!! I tend 'not' to fiddle with the files at all, they look so natural and appealing right out of the gate.

Having said that, since I print large, one of my standard sizes is 146x97 cm, then the Credo is ofcourse better at closer scrutiny. But I do have several from the Aptus printed that specific size and at normal and comfortable viewing distance they totally look the business. Bottom line is that IF the Aptus had workable iso 50 & 100 + 30sec noisefree exposures, then I would be happy with that as my only back. Although, on the same page I must admit that the Credo 60 is my daily workhorse and my bread & butter back. Very happy to have both :)

(On a sidenote, I do have a 7R with high res lenses, but images for the gallery I reach for the Aptus 10 times out of 10, compared to the 7R. I do not have a single image printed from the Sony... - Alpa, techlenses & Leaf all the way)

danlindberg

Dan, I'd buy another Aptus II 5 in an instant. If it had a square full frame sensor it would be even faster than an instant. Heck, square cropped is OK if the colour and tonality remains oh so beautiful.
Graham, funny you should say that, I do not know why but I have far more square images shot with the Aptus compared to the Credo. Maybe those files remind me more of my Hasselblad V days with Velvia....
And if the scene admits you can make a vertical flatstitch and resolution is fine for just about any application :thumbup:

daf

The two main downsides of the Aptus for me is actually not so much the 22mp but rather native iso25 and noise in longish exposures. The combination gives me a hard time in many of my favorite conditions and shooting style but when the light is there...
Doing a lot of interior shot, and dealing with low iso+center filter and too much noise past 10s was a real pain, I gave up!
Beautiful rendition for sure! but also a moiré machine, paired it with digitars, i had to correct moiré and strong alaising on 3/5 of my images even with f11 ...
But still, there is not a single week since i moved to Sony, where i don't regret my Aptus/cambo/digitar combo!
I went through all the sony shift option ( tseII // HCAM // Actus), but none of those give me the pleasure i got from using my techcams.