The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Technical Camera Images

torger

The drawback of not having photography as work is that sometimes there is a long time between images. I've not been shooting since March. A couple of days ago I just had to get out, and I went out late in the evening. Having about 2 hours of daylight left there's not much time to find something to shoot, but I just had to shoot something.

A technical camera is both simple and complex. I love the all-mechanic low-tech simplicity, but there's still much to think about when making an image, and when you've been away for more than a month the beginner's mistakes start coming back, at least for me. The attached image worked out fine, but a second image didn't as I made a sloppy back fastening when changing from landscape to portrait orientation, causing accidental swing (which indeed was better than accidental drop-to-the-ground, which I was lucky did not happen).

To make it harder it started to rain too. I always bring an umbrella, I use it as a lens shade too in some situations. The problem is that with the umbrella in one hand there's only one hand left. How do you shoot an LCC with one hand? I've learnt an elegant technique where I hold the umbrella with my teeth to free up both my hands for the LCC shot :eek:

Anyway, this image was shot with the SK47XL with 15mm fall (or actually back rise), I just love having a huge image circle at this field of view. The camera as always a Linhof Techno, and the back a H4D-50, converted in RawTherapee, with some slight grading.

Attachments

MrSmith

a recent feature shoot of a Vacheron Constantin watch that was launched last week, combo actus/A7r/schneider 120 apo-digitar
map was from my girlfriends Baedeker guide to Paris that her great uncle took to the great exposition in 1889

Attachments

sc_john

The drawback of not having photography as work is that sometimes there is a long time between images. I've not been shooting since March. A couple of days ago I just had to get out, and I went out late in the evening. Having about 2 hours of daylight left there's not much time to find something to shoot, but I just had to shoot something.
Torger,

Your image is a stunning example of seeing. Thank you.

John

jlm

Workshop Member
Lee filter makes some white translucent plastic lens caps that will serve as lcc discs. I put 100mm compendium adapter rings on each of my lenses so they now use the white plastic caps instead of the stock caps

M

mjr

Afternoon

I've been working on a series of black and whites for a client, quite heavily processed but that's the style they wanted.

cly

Say hi, to my new mistress....adventures awaits us. Love the idea of doing photography workshops on trailbikes, deep into the national parks. Now, that would be slightly different, wouldn't it?
Dan, I'm sure that I am not the only one who is curious what you come up with bagwise - we all want to know how your Alpa with all her belongings and your new mistress get along.

Come on, it's time for a new posting in the bag section :) And, please, don't forget an image of the attached tripod.

Chris

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Afternoon

I've been working on a series of black and whites for a client, quite heavily processed but that's the style they wanted.
Nothing wrong with "heavily processed" when it doesn't look HEAVILY PROCESSED! :thumbs:

danlindberg

Dan, I'm sure that I am not the only one who is curious what you come up with bagwise - we all want to know how your Alpa with all her belongings and your new mistress get along.

Come on, it's time for a new posting in the bag section :) And, please, don't forget an image of the attached tripod.

Chris
I'm experimenting right now with this. What I find very important is to have the bag dustproof. Dry Spanish mountainroads are not kind to teh equipment. At the same time I do not want any of the more delicate stuff in any luggage that is attached to the bike itself. It needs to be some kind of backpack because of the bodydamping on rough roads.

I have one Peli 1520 that I am looking to either attach backstraps to (tips?) or a big enough backpack to put the entire case inside. I also have a DryZone Lowepro backpack that is very comfy but holds less stuff.

I have not figured out yet how to fasten a tripod in a smart way, but I have ideas! Actually, I have a new tripod on its way......:p

You can count on I will post what I come up with. I am totally happy with going imagehunting with my trailbike. Just love it!!

M

mjr

Morning

Still on black and white here, delivering 4 prints this morning, nice.

Have a nice weekend all.

Mat

Smoothjazz

Dan,

For learning purposes in my workflow; did you need to focus stack this image, or could you have stopped down as well? I do not as yet have a lot of experience with stacking. Which program do you use, and are the large files difficult to merge?
Thanks,

John

Fresh from PP. A focus stack of 6 images. 1.5 second exposure, f8, iso 50 with Heliopan 6 stop ND.

Pelorus

The New Zealand light is pretty unique, isn't it, even on an overcast and dismal day like this the light it'll burn your retinas out. I like the colour version.
Yep, it was a crappy old day, and cold once it turned southerly - the evidence being in the snow that a lot of the South Island got yesterday. My wife likes the B&W, but I'm with you, the colour one has something. I need to do something about the horizon though :p - I was using a monopod and battered by the wind (at least that's my excuse).

Pelorus

The camera bag on the beach, Greville Harbour, D'Urville Island, Marlborough Sounds, New Zealand.

The approach was interesting, over a saddle in the ridge at the right rear. Managed it OK as the photo attests!!

Omaka-Flying-L_000854.jpg

Pelorus

Awatere Valley, Marlborough, New Zealand. A winter, late afternoon...cold and still.

Omaka-Flying-L_000883.jpg

Alpa 12 STC, SK 48 Apo Helvetar, Leaf Aptus-II 7