The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Technical Camera Images

Pelorus

Gerald, that's a stunning picture of a stunning timepiece. I really like it.

What I think is a great pity is that Patek have the time zones wrong for several cities. How could they do that on such a stunning watch?

Another Patek. This time the 5131R...

Usual gear :)

Kind regards,

Gerald.

gerald.d

Gerald, that's a stunning picture of a stunning timepiece. I really like it.

What I think is a great pity is that Patek have the time zones wrong for several cities. How could they do that on such a stunning watch?
This is actually the most recent version of this watch, and I believe reflects the timezones (ignoring daylight saving/summer time of course) correctly.

Which ones do you believe are incorrect?

Pelorus

This is actually the most recent version of this watch, and I believe reflects the timezones (ignoring daylight saving/summer time of course) correctly.

Which ones do you believe are incorrect?
Hi Gerald,

Ignoring summer time we make the assumption therefore that London = UTC. Again ignoring summer time Brisbane and Sydney are the same time zone - UTC+10 so Brisbane is correct in the picture and Sydney is wrong. Auckland (NZ) is UTC+12 so it is also incorrect. I haven't checked others.

Interestingly because Brisbane does not observe summer time and both Sydney and Auckland do, this would be correct for the southern summer.

gerald.d

Hi Gerald,

Ignoring summer time we make the assumption therefore that London = UTC. Again ignoring summer time Brisbane and Sydney are the same time zone - UTC+10 so Brisbane is correct in the picture and Sydney is wrong. Auckland (NZ) is UTC+12 so it is also incorrect. I haven't checked others.

Interestingly because Brisbane does not observe summer time and both Sydney and Auckland do, this would be correct for the southern summer.
Wow. That's crazy re Brisbane and Sydney - I'll see what I can find out on that.

Re Auckland, it's actually referring to the Auckland Islands which are GMT +13, and have been used historically for many years on world timer watches to represent this timezone.

Kind regards,

Gerald.

Pelorus

G'day Gerald,

Auckland Islands are exactly the same timezone as New Zealand - UTC+12, however right now NZ - and the Auckland Islands - are in summer time and so they all show as UTC+13 - which is what the watch shows.

Side issue UTC+13 is a bit of a weirdism in and of itself as it shouldn't in any practical sense be more than +12 (12 hours * 15 degrees/hour = 180 degrees which is the theoretical maximum. Sun rotates at 15 degrees per hour and we only go to 180 degrees E or W of Greenwich meridian), but we'll leave that for another day!!

The watch seems to be a combination of standard (northern hemisphere) and summer time (for Australia and NZ at least) - makes you wonder if it wasn't designed between October and April and some poor bloke looked at the current time around the world!! :cool:

Wow. That's crazy re Brisbane and Sydney - I'll see what I can find out on that.

Re Auckland, it's actually referring to the Auckland Islands which are GMT +13, and have been used historically for many years on world timer watches to represent this timezone.

Kind regards,

Gerald.

gerald.d

G'day Gerald,

Auckland Islands are exactly the same timezone as New Zealand - UTC+12, however right now NZ - and the Auckland Islands - are in summer time and so they all show as UTC+13 - which is what the watch shows.

Side issue UTC+13 is a bit of a weirdism in and of itself as it shouldn't in any practical sense be more than +12 (12 hours * 15 degrees/hour = 180 degrees which is the theoretical maximum. Sun rotates at 15 degrees per hour and we only go to 180 degrees E or W of Greenwich meridian), but we'll leave that for another day!!

The watch seems to be a combination of standard (northern hemisphere) and summer time (for Australia and NZ at least) - makes you wonder if it wasn't designed between October and April and some poor bloke looked at the current time around the world!! :cool:
Hi -

Very interesting - and thanks for correcting my mis-understanding.

It does seem that perhaps these things were designed to tell the correct time around the world for when the northern hemisphere was not on summer time.

Clearly I need to do more research on this!

Kind regards,

Gerald.

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
I pass through Mt Shasta's area quite often and have yet to get a memorable shot there. Not an easy place to get a keeper I find.

(I always end up at Burney Falls or Mossbrae Falls)

danlindberg

Hi guys, I have started to ask permission from my clients to get a few snapshoots when delivered artworks to them. Thought I'd show you once in a while how some of my images end up :)

danlindberg

More proof that I am still alive ;)

Late evening outside Gaucín in Andalucia. 'Casa de Campo' - local rural house with one helluva view. The peak that touches the clouds is actually Gibraltar....

bomzi

This is one of the first images I made with my "new" P45+ bought from Digital Transitions in NYC. I've got it mounted to an RM3Di bought from a member on this board. The image was made during a day of testing the back to see if I could work without live view which I have grown accustomed to on my Canon gear. I basically eye-balled the focus and took a couple of shots to figure out rise, shift and exposure. My initial impression was "holy crap, this is awesome"! I cant wait to work with this gear!

While on the topic, I really must thank Jeff Lin at Digital Transitions for amazing customer service and for putting up with a year of questions before I actually bought the P45+. Doug Peterson was also very generous with his knowledge. I would highly recommend DT for anything medium format related.

Attachments

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
:thumbs: good to see these surperb backs being used. If you believed some of the posts on this site CCD would be horrible and unless you have 50+ mp why bother!

btw, for full disclosure I just added an Aptus II 5 to my collection and look forward to using it alongside the other behemoth. Big fan of 'fat' pixels and CCD rendering. :thumbup:

Once you go to medium format back it's tough to ever go back IMHO.

TimG

One from London a couple of years ago, when the shard first opened - it had a big laser show, shot on Fuji T64 film, Linhof technikardan with a rollfilm back;

danlindberg

Was looking for a pier today but after driving 150 km one way and not seeing a single one I turned around and when the light was getting pretty low I thought I better stop and find 'something'....
I have hundreds of this kind, but I guess it is better to make another instead of coming home emptyhanded :p