Site Sponsors
Page 1 of 79 1 2 3 11 51 ... LastLast

Thread: Technical Camera Images

Post Thanks / Like

Technical Camera Images

I am in love with my Alpa. It is inspiring me to hunt light and compositions. In fact, it is what I have been missing for more than 10 years shooting 35mm. Photography has been my bread and butter for 20 years, but for a few years I must admit that I have been lacking inspiration and have only produced all incoming assignments because it's a job, but no dedication to go the extra mile for the client.
    That has changed overnight with the purchase of the Alpa SWA. It's fun again. It's back to basics. It's back to "think" before you shoot. I simply love it.

Now, I would love to see a dedicated thread with Alpa images, I believe we are still a minority so I do not think there will be any change with the great thread "Fun with....." this would just be a complement for Alpa users.

Yes, yes, I know that it is the lens and the back that actually makes the image. The "thingy inbetween" is just holding the other two pieces together. But I don't care! I call it Alpa images anyway

I start off with two images, where you could say - "what a difference a day make".... This first one I shot yesterday evening in a lovely light:

Around 20 hours later I am back in this area, less than 100 metres away and today the air was damp with a heavy fog and considerably colder than yesterday. So I felt very black & white and made this today, almost at the same spot as yesterday.

Would be very nice to see your Alpa images too
    Alpa FPS • MAX • TC | Alpagon 32Hr | Helvetar 75 | Schneider 120N | Leaf Aptus II 5 • Leaf Credo 60 | www.danlindberg.com Follow me on ›› Facebook
    Likes 8 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Re: ALPA images

Quote Originally Posted by danlindberg View Post
    Yes, yes, I know that it is the lens and the back that actually makes the image. The "thingy inbetween" is just holding the other two pieces together. But I don't care! I call it Alpa images anyway
    The first of your images is particularly beautiful. What actually made it so wasn't the "thingy inbetween" or "the other two pieces", it was you.
    Last edited by KeithL; 25th August 2011 at 12:25.
    http://www.keithlaban.co.uk
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Absolutely stunning!

May I ask why you choose a Leaf versus a Phase back?

Peter

Post Thanks / Like

Beautiful images!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

the first one is especially lovely - enjoy your Alpa.

Senior Member Bill Caulfeild-Browne's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

That first one is just....moving, Dan.
    Bil

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you so much everyone. Most kind words

Ptomsu, why I chose a Leaf back?
    Well, after reading just about everything I could on the net about all possibilities I reasoned that the entrylevel Aptus II 5 was probably the best buy for me.
    1. I gives very clean files even with extreme shifts (I have yet to try a LCC).
    2. I was worried about focusing blindly and thought the 9 micron chip would give me some relief in tolerence.
    3. Moneywise it is outright cheap compared to anything else on the market, which ofcourse means that I am "more" free to go in any direction from here. Meaning I can upgrade without loosing so much or if I concluded that this isn't for me, then again, I would not loose a lot.
    4. Resolutionwise it is ofcourse tiny compared to the big guns, but enough for paying clients. Hell, most of my fellow professionals are working with 5D2's...
    In summery, a perfect, forgiving start

Feel free to post Alpa images
    Alpa FPS • MAX • TC | Alpagon 32Hr | Helvetar 75 | Schneider 120N | Leaf Aptus II 5 • Leaf Credo 60 | www.danlindberg.com Follow me on ›› Facebook
    Likes 7 Member(s) liked this post

Subscriber & Workshop Member GrahamWelland's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

For an Alpa or indeed any technical camera the Leaf also has the advantage of only needing a synch cable and no wakeup contraptions. You need either a wakeup release or battery burning zero latency mode on a Phase One back for example.

Dan - nice shots!
    Ylem ...

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Dan, the elegant simplicity of your images is georgous.
    I am not a painter, nor an artist. Therefore I can see straight, and that may be my undoing. - Alfred Stieglitz

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by GrahamWelland View Post
    You need either a wakeup release or battery burning zero latency mode on a Phase One back for example.

Dan - nice shots!
    Actually Graham, you do NOT need a wake-up cable on the later Phase backs -- that is what the "zero latency" setting is for -- just in case you weren't aware of that

Dan, agree with all the above, EXCELLENT images! Welcome to MF!
    Jack
    home: www.getdpi.com

"Perfection is not attainable. But if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence."

Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Folks post what lenses you are using. It would be nice to know that for folks that are trying to decide.
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

www.guymancusophotography.com

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you very much

Todays keeper is this one...

Lens is SK 35XL, no shift.

Remember, the thread is open for anyone with Alpa images to share....
    Likes 4 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Dan,
    Awesome tree! Nobody is posting because your images are too intimidating.

Here's one I found while "re-mining" my PODAS images from Death Valley. I've got to do some more work on this because the colors in the dunes are whacky in places.

STC, SK43xl, P65+

Dave
    Likes 15 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Don't touch it Dave. It works and I wish I ran out with you that morning to shoot. You nailed it
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Actually been thinking of next workshop in January back in Death Valley but head more North. Good storms in the winter.

Post Thanks / Like

Totally agree with Guy, don't touch it, it is fab!! The variations of colourtones in the dunes enhances the sky. Great capture!

Excellent, now the ice is broken Let them Alpa images be seen....

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

The only thing I would do with the image is the highlight on the dune itself is about 1/3 of stop more exposure. Let your eye go right into that. That image is a wall trophy

Could not resist

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Guy; Nice version. I'm going to spend some more time playing with this. One of those images I glossed over initially then came back to months later...

Dave

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Agree with the above, it is pretty nice as is! I'll agree with Guy and say I like the lighting on the dune pumped a little -- etherial but still believable.

To get picky, I see the magenta and green shifts in the dune too Dave. It looks like a lens cast issue to me, but it tends to work with this image instead of against it, looking like reflection off the sky in the dune -- very cool and perhaps just a tad strong for my tastes, but I would rather see it there than not have any color in the dune at all.

If you have the LCC, you might try applying it to clean up the dune a little, then depending on how much it takes from the sky and reflection, blend it back with this version. Or maybe even easier, just select the dune area and desaturate a little, but not so much you remove all of the effect.

Either way, definitely print worthy!

Jack

"Perfection is not attainable. But if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence."

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

My adjustments where quick and dirty but I do like that type of version to it. Agree with Jack yea you have some color issues but they actually do work for the image, so maybe just some slight adjustments to that.

As always if it looks good to your eye than its perfect, but things don't always need to be technically correct either. Like they say learn the rules than forget them. LOL

Post Thanks / Like

Dan,

Wonderful work, especially the rocks and water and Death Valley shot.

After spending some time with Steve Hendricks last week, I fully appreciate the power the the LCC function in Capture 1. Really an amazing feature and one that I have overlooked way too long.

What is more amazing is what it will do for 35mm shots, shifted or not shifted, not to mention Phase 1 shots taken without a tech camera. Never realized just how much falloff you get with the 35mm or 28mm.

Also, if I can ask, I love your presentation of the images with the 8 ply mat look. What action/tool are you using to create that look.

Sincerely
    Paul Caldwell
    http://wwwphotosofarkansas.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: Fun with MF images

Rm3Di Sk72 IQ180
    Mushrooms before Irene

It has been very moist the last couple of weeks so they are popping up everywhere.
    -bob
    Last edited by Bob; 27th August 2011 at 10:35.

Post Thanks / Like

Dave,

That's also a wonderful image. I think we all agree here.

Nobody should be intimidated. Intimidation is not necessary, nor to be scared to post "less" interesting or wonderful images than others. Jump in the cold water, show what your are proud of, even if it is only one image.

It is about "feeling the temperature", what others are doing, to give ideas and inspiration to explore new horizons.

Speaking about inspiration, I would like to invite you to the Alpa gallery, there are some beautiful images there, from some well-known BUT ALSO from some not-known photographers. Some of the images showed here do have their places in this gallery, IMO.

Alpa Gallery

Thierry

Quote Originally Posted by dchew View Post
    Dan,
    Nobody is posting because your images are too intimidating.
    Dave

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I think it may be nicer if we could combine all tech camera image threads into one.
    Would that be agreeable to folks?
    thanks
    -bob

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Jack View Post
    You need either a wakeup release or battery burning zero latency mode on a Phase One back for example.
    Actually Graham, you do NOT need a wake-up cable on the later Phase backs -- that is what the "zero latency" setting is for -- just in case you weren't aware of that
    Err, Jack that's what I actually said!

Quote Originally Posted by Bob View Post
    I think it may be nicer if we could combine all tech camera image threads into one.
    thanks
    -bob
    I agree.
    Ylem ...

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Rm3Di Sk72 IQ180
    Mushrooms before Irene
    Bob,

I love the fact that you got a model to pose in your tech cam shot!
    Ylem ...

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Bob,

I love the fact that you got a model to pose in your tech cam shot!
    That ant was tough to pose.
    Irene ought to be stopping by tomorrow.
    And what the hell is the story about this schooner measure?
    It may be the end of civilization as we know it.
    -bob

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Err, Jack that's what I actually said!
    Of course you did. I am an idiot

Admin Note: I think we should change the title on this thread to be Tech cam images generic, so we don't end up with a handful of separate image threads based on tech cam brand -- I think it would be nice to have them all under one roof. In reality, I feel we really don't even need to separate tech from regular MF, but I'm willing to do it if that's what members want.
    Jack

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Technical Camera Images

I'm all for it! Tech cam images it is

Here is a tech cam image, 35XL, no shift, no CF, no LCC.

Post Thanks / Like

@ Paul, the mat presentation is done in photoshop. No specific tool, I made it myself with a couple of layers. I have made templates for landscape, portrait and square images. I have them in a nice small manageble size of 10x15cm @ 300 dpi and then convert them into 900px size webimages.
    If you want the templates I can email them to you?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Dan, I agree with Ben's comment about the elegant simplicity of these images; to me such simplicity must by necessity come from "seeing" that simplicity long before pushing the shutter release. As much as I like each of them, I find the hay bales image the best. I know "hay bale" images are quite common, but this one spoke to me. On the other hand your first image seems to have drawn highest notice and for me I would have rated it the least of the four. I wonder what others are seeing in that image that I have missed or why the haybale image has spoken to me more strongly? I also wonder whether we photographers would see these images much differently than a group of non-photographers. There is a peacefullness in your images that comes through to the viewer. Incidently, I too like your framing and would like to get in on those templates if you do send them. Charles
    Last edited by cs750; 27th August 2011 at 17:11. Reason: typo

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

thanks
    -bob
    Yes Bob

I think as well that this would be the best .
    I am not so much interested , what camera was used , but what lens , which back , LCC , distance setting etc.
    Regards . Jόrgen .
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you cs750 I did jump a little when I read Ben's "elegant simplicity" because that is the exact wording I often use in my workshops. I try to leave out tech talk and concentrate on teaching "seeing" images and finetuning compositions. And I am pro minimalistic scenes that still comunicate depth and feel. However, that also depends on the day, sometimes images with a myriad of details can be captivating.

I am also very interested in the psychology of what makes people "like" certain images over others, or how fascinating it is to be in the same spot with 2-3 photographers and all approach it differently. I am the kind of person who do not mind at all to see clichι images, to me the important thing is that you can tell that any particular image is well thought out, finetuned and executed exactly as the photographer intended. That it wasn't a lucky shot, it was produced through experience and skill.

The mat template I have done in PS with a couple of layers myself. It is in 10x15cm @300dpi and then I simply make it 900px and save for web. If anyone wants to use it, then I share it, no probs. Just PM your email and I send you the template in .psd.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by danlindberg View Post
    ... However, that also depends on the day, sometimes images with a myriad of details can be captivating...
    I have to say I find Woody's work magnificent in this respect. My favourites of his are huge scenes, full of details. Living in a VERY crowded city I have to confess I hope I can learn to see compositions in all the clutter in our world.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I forgot that reading about Tech camera making me to want one, but then i forgot to ask, which tech camera to go with? There are many, each has pros and cons maybe, not sure which one will be better for landscapes and architecture photography, the lenses i will decide later, and DB also later.
    Tareq

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Perhaps we should call Tech cameras "slow down, think, feel, and see" cameras; I am enjoying my brief experience with mine. Charles

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Love actually owning one now. I shot yesterday but was limited do to time and weather but I got a couple off. I'll talk about it in another thread.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Using a technical camera definitely makes you slow down; the capture process is much more deliberate. There's times when standing on a cliff face with mine where I feel I'm channeling the greats from the past. My pulse rises then settles into a nice rhythm as I set up and begin the process.

I've been thinking of writing a blog post "Zen and the art of a technical camera". Who knows many one day I will.

Heading out the door for a week and not certain of future internet access.
    Don Libby
    Iron Creek Photography
    Blog
    Tucson AZ

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Professional View Post
    I forgot that reading about Tech camera making me to want one, but then i forgot to ask, which tech camera to go with? There are many, each has pros and cons maybe, not sure which one will be better for landscapes and architecture photography, the lenses i will decide later, and DB also later.
    I think this warrants a separate thread, as there are several aspects when one starts looking into tech. There is no single camera "that does it all perfectly" and so each person is going to have a set of priorities, and their priority list will drive their final decision. So I would advise you to start a new thread and ask the questions -- actually, scratch that, I will start it for you and demand in advance that folks play nice and that we don't want any brand-wars, just individual *opinions* on why folks choose what they did
    Jack

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thumbs up Re: Technical Camera Images

Quote Originally Posted by Jack View Post
    I think this warrants a separate thread, as there are several aspects when one starts looking into tech. There is no single camera "that does it all perfectly" and so each person is going to have a set of priorities, and their priority list will drive their final decision. So I would advise you to start a new thread and ask the questions -- actually, scratch that, I will start it for you and demand in advance that folks play nice and that we don't want any brand-wars, just individual *opinions* on why folks choose what they did
    Thank you very much for your valuable help, hope it will be a big help or even a reference to proper choice.
    Tareq

Post Thanks / Like

The graphical approach

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Well I went down to Tubac AZ. and with a limited amount of time and also bad weather i was only able to get a couple shots with the Cambo and the 35XL and my IQ 160. I actually wound up in a museum there and shot this school house image with a 3 shot vertical stitch. Shot at F11 at 1 second exposures ISO 50. I focused squarely on the table with using focus mask as my main tool for focusing. Nothing great but I got to play and that is fine with me.

This one is just a straight 35mm Vertical shot with overcast skies ISO 50 at F11.

These are without center filters which comes today and this lens I feel could benefit from a CF.

Post Thanks / Like

Today I had 20 minutes free time in the great cathedral of Lund. Ofcourse with the Alpa SWA and the 35XL on my shoulder. I also have my featherlight Gitzo 2531 with the smallest Novoflex Magic Ball. This weighs close to nothing and holds the camera surprisingly steady dispite its size/weight. I have a much sturdier Gitzo as well for windy conditions, but that one weighs like a baby elephant, so that stays mainly in the car.

Anyway, given the short amount of time in the church, I was completely focused on finding one image. And one image only. It is a big chathedral and my shot here only shows one part of it, but I really liked the light and also liked the idea of the table with the two candles in the forground. So, it had to be this one.

From here on, I really take my time to set it up. I am extremely picky with the exact amount of rise and picky placement for all lines to square up. This image is not altered at all and that gives me added satisfaction. Precise composition takes a bit of patience, but I love that.

It was shot with the 35XL with 15mm rise, 10 seconds @f8,5

Likes 4 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Beautiful subject elegantly done; I like the candles off to the left foreground in an otherwise centered foreground, middle ground, and background. Charles

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Belvedere Castle in Central Park. Did I mention that I'm struggling to keep my on tripod stuff from looking stagey? Alpa Max + SK 120mm + IQ 180. 20mm or so of rise and a couple of degrees of tilt. A light tripod did not produce optimum results with this lens.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Ganesh (the Hindu god of good fortune) meets Irene. Alpa TC + 47mm SK + IQ 180. Handheld. Distance measured with Leica disto.

Post Thanks / Like

"Abandon Hope All Ye Who Enter Here."

No photography today, cause I've been busy buying stuff

I have had my basic setup for almost 3 weeks and now I could not resist to buy a new lens.....

I am the proud owner of a beautiful Schneider 5.6/120 N

Ps. Thanks again for your very kind words CS750, that's what makes me want to post more...

Woody, I see that you were kind enough to show me how excellent of a lens I have just bought

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Attachment 48293

Here an example shot with a SK SUPER ANGULON XL 72 mm + CFV-39 .
    The lens is from my LF stock and I got it adapted for ALPA . It is not the digitally optimized SK 72mm version .
    The image is a crop from within the centered square part of the sensor .
    ISO100 f/11 . Hood was a short collapsable rubber hood .
    Regards . Jόrgen .
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Dan, I know the "feeling" too; I have had the RM3di for about 10 days and have ordered the 150 mm Rodenstock and the 23 mm. I don't know how long it will be, I knew I had to get the order in if I want to use them this year (which may be optimistic). My equipment will most likely exceed my skills, but if I don't have the tools, I can't play with them. "Abandon Hope All Ye Who Enter Here." definitely applies! I have most of my woodworking equipment up for sale! Charles