The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

H4D: lens error

evgeny

I get some "Lens error" messages sometimes. I think the camera stops after approx 150-200 captures. I turn the camera off, remove battery, attach the battery back to the camera, power the camera, and continue to shoot.

1. I purchased the new camera and lens about a month ago from a dealer.
2. I have the latest firmwares installed in the camera and the 40mpx back.
3. I shoot in studio. I use True Focus button to capture a still model, then release the shutter. The lens is - a very sharp 100mm f2.2, I like it.

Is this a firmware bag or something else?

PS: I will call the dealer, but I will be glad to know what others say, too.

Regards
Evgeny

Jeffg53

I don't know what it is, but I had it last week many times. The normal suggestion is to clean the contacts. It didn't stop it for me but it us worth a try.

jerome

I shoot with a H4D50 for landscape, I change very often the lenses (mainly 28, 50 and 120).

I had a few times this problem, but maybe not more than 4 or 5 times. Is your lens well locked ? I know it sounds stupid but I noticed a few time that as the button to lock - unlock the lens is on the side of the camera, it happens that when you put it in a bag or on a table, the button is touched and the lens a bit unlock (so you have a "lens error").

Once, the lens even felt from the camera :(

Just my two cents :)

Jeffg53

Certainly not what I was doing, at one point I was getting it every one or two shots. I would take it off, and replace it all on the tripod.

evgeny

Is your lens well locked ? I know it sounds stupid but I noticed a few time that as the button to lock - unlock the lens is on the side of the camera, it happens that when you put it in a bag or on a table, the button is touched and the lens a bit unlock (so you have a "lens error").
Jerome, that's important. I need to check, if the lens is well locked, before I start to shoot.
Jeff, the contacts are clean in this new camera/lens.
Thanks.

UlfKrentz

Hi,

we had the same issue with one lens/camera combination. The lens worked flawlessly with three other bodies we tried so we initially suspected a body failure. In the end it turned out to be the shutter unit of the lens that was changed through Hasselblad without any charge. That was on a lens that was bought "new old stock", been in use for about a year and we did not expect it to be under warranty. I don´t know where you are located, we found those Hasselblad guys here very helpful, so I´d suggest to send your body/lens combination for check up. Your camera should work without any trouble, especially with that low number of actuations.
I don´t know why so many people advise cleaning contacts, that NEVER helped a single issue for us (keep your equipment clean with cap etc and avoid touching the contacts, my 2ct)
Hope you´re still under warranty, good luck!

Cheers, Ulf

johnnygoesdigital

Our H4d/31 also had that message. I found that the way I was holding the camera actually pressed ever so lightly on the release button, not so much to release the lens itself, but perhaps enough to to warrant the message. I adjusted the way I held the camera and no more message. I don't think the contacts should be cleaned unless absolutely necessary, and being a new camera it should be clean already. Oddly enough, I kinda miss that camera, its files were beautiful and manageable- the 31MP's loved the resolving power of those fantastic shutter lenses.

evgeny

The camera is truly superb.
It provides everything I previously had in Contax 645, including all useful controls, good ergonomics, and more. The True Focus is fantastic, almost 100% of images are sharp.

The only things that worry me at this time is the "lens error" and lost connections when tethered to my Mac.