The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Leaf Large Format vs Phase Zero Latency

JonMo

A quick question;
I currently use a Leaf 65s with a single cable to work with my tech cam.
It works great and the battery life is decent.

I have on order an IQ back and I thought the Zero Latency setting was similar to Leafs requiring no wake up cable.

Then I read on one of the threads people using a wake up cable on the new backs. I assume this is to save on battery power to only wake the back when needed.

Is Zero Latency that bad a battery eater? Doesn't it have at least a power saver that allows for the sensor to be active but shuts down the power hungry screen?
I was assuming that if I was happy with the Leaf's system that the new phase would be equivalent or better.

Any feed back would be appreciated.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Two things really ---- zero latency does eat batteries faster, but since the sensor is "active" it also generates a little extra heat, and extra heat ultimately = more noise. Not that you see it at ISO 35 or 50 or even 100, but IMHO it does start to show at 200. Speaking for myself, I still use the Kapture Group one-shot cable that wakes up the back automatically.

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
I have both Leaf & Phase backs and it is nice being able to not have to worry about the battery drain with the Aptus 65.

With the Phase backs I find it best to have pretty aggressive power saving turned on and I tend to power up/down whenever I move and compose new shots. I haven't tried this with the IQ yet but this works well with the P40+ because it only takes a couple of seconds to power up and shoot. I always carry a pile of batteries though as the drain is a lot higher than the equivalent Leaf or Phase One with a wake up cable.

I kind of flip flop between using the KG One Shot cable and the zero latency mode. The nice thing about using zero latency is that you have a lot less cable wrapping around everywhere with the lens/back. Also the wake up solutions are somewhat modal in that you must wake & shoot within 5 seconds or so with the wake up cables, or in the case of the One Shot you must always positively push the release through in a single movement otherwise you can wake and then double release which will either register a partial image and/or pop up an error dialog on the back. You get used to it though very quickly and it's only really an issue when you first use them.