The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Body cap for Arca Swiss RM3di

What do RM3di owners do to protect the camera interior and the sensor when the body is stored/transported without a lens in place? I don't believe that an AS body cap exists but would be happy to be corrected on this.

Any suggestions welcome!

Rob

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
I use whatever lens that happens to be on it when I put it in the bag. Of course this requires that you have a bag that fits your camera with a lens mounted :)

I'm trying to fit everything into a slim bag, hence the need to detach the lens. Just now ordered a 110mm Schneider lens cap which might just do the trick.

JonMo

With my Cambo Leaf combination I leave the lens attached with the front and back caps on and protect the back with it's steel plate while using the slim bag.
Is it easier on the RM to leave the back attached and not the lens?

RodK

The problem with a cap is that one needs to be careful it doesn't scrub the number scale on the outside of the helical focus ring. A 90mm cap drops in. A 100mm doesn't fit. A 105mm may work, but I still worry about the numbers being scrubbed...
I am thinking about the issue, though.
Bag wise the Crumpler Celibrity C-list medium is great. Deep enough to leave the back and lens on the camera through about 72mm. Never a 32mm or 28mm Rodenstock.
Just a bit of pressure can mess up alignment. Also the 43mm and 28mm Schneiders. The large fronts on these lenses create leverage on the edge of lens which may impact the shutter and decenter the lens. This is the primary reason for loss in sharpness on one side or top or bottom of images.

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
It might be possible to order a lens board with no hole and them fit a small cabinet handle to it.
-bob

stephengilbert

If you can accurately measure what you need, SKGrimes can likely make it.

I've bought custom lens caps from them, and the second in a given size is much cheaper than the first, so if a few people want the same item, it would probably be inexpensive.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
FWIW, a threaded 95mm flush-fitting lens cap -- meaning the kind you squeeze from the center as opposed to tabs on the edges to operate -- fits inside the A/S lens mount like a glove :D

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
I have a generic, and not sure the Hassy cap is all internal, but if it is it should work fine too!

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
On my generic, the cap's threads extend enough to grip the lensmount threads in the body. To be clear this is not a zero-clearance fit, so while it certainly protects the innards it is not going to be 100% dust-proof.

I can happily report that the $29 Schneider 110mm Push-On Lens Cap fits beautifully as a body cap for the RM3di. Snug, and I'll keep a watch that the numbers on the helical focus ring aren't being scrubbed, but perfect. Would be an effective barrier to dust.

Rob