The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Tech Cams: the choices, which one and why ?

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
In the thread on tech cam images, Tareq asked this question:

I forgot that reading about Tech camera making me to want one, but then i forgot to ask, which tech camera to go with? There are many, each has pros and cons maybe, not sure which one will be better for landscapes and architecture photography, the lenses i will decide later, and DB also later.
I told him I would initiate a thread dedicated to the features and benefits of systems and why we each chose the system we did. A lot of this info has already been posted by individuals, but is scattered throughout multiple threads. So the idea is to pull it together in one place. If you have posted it elsewhere, and know where to find it, please feel free to copy and paste it into this thread, even if the context isn't a perfect fit -- it's the general info we're after. Finally, PLEASE do not let this thread devolve into a brand-war argumentative thread even if you think somebody said something inaccurate about "your" system! Instead, assume there is a communication gap or language barrier (there often is), and then share your thoughts without going negative or defensive. Bottom line is we want this thread to be positive and helpful to all going forward.

I will add my thoughts later, as it is going to be a longish post and I don't have the time to do it right now ;)

Professional

Thank you very much, Jack!
I hope this thread will help us to have a clear or good decision on which system/body will go with, i appreciate your help :)

stephengilbert

The only tech camera worth using is an ALPA; ALPAs rock! Anyone using a Cambo or an Arca is an effing moron.

And, of the three, the ALPA is the only one that takes decent photographs. Plus, you can shim them.

(Of course, it's impossible to shim them properly unless you have a 72mm or longer lens, and you have to wait until it rains in SoCal, which won't be until February, but it's worth it, because ALPAs rock!)

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
The only tech camera worth using is an ALPA; ALPAs rock! Anyone using a Cambo or an Arca is an effing moron.

And, of the three, the ALPA is the only one that takes decent photographs. Plus, you can shim them.

(Of course, it's impossible to shim them properly unless you have a 72mm or longer lens, and you have to wait until it rains in SoCal, which won't be until February, but it's worth it, because ALPAs rock!)
:ROTFL:
Well I can shim my Arca Rm3di by twisting the scale.
-bob

Arca is way cool!

stephengilbert

Or, to put it another way, it depends on what uses you have planned. If you want something you can carry around and shoot hand held, but will also provide the ability to take "serious" photos from a tripod, the ALPA TC is really nice. Unless you want movements, of course.

There's a whole spectrum, from the TC (no movements, light weight) through the ALPA STC (heavier, larger, rear shift only) to the Arca RMs (heavier, but offers both shift and tilt). Assuming you can avoid being a total gear slut, you need to decide what the camera has to do, and you can narrow the choices considerably.

Thierry

Just in case that is a provocation on purpose, I won't answer. And in case it was not, I won't answer either.

I was thinking that was exactly the type of comments, remarks and arguments we wanted to ban to avoid a "brand war".

Edited for PS: that was humor, just in case some didn't get it.

Best regards
Thierry

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Charles, you are correct, and it's easy to misunderstand some forms of humor, especially dry wit, so let's keep it to a minimum please!

That said, I think it's pretty obvious Stephen's response was clearly humor -- and best of all, directed primarily at my sophomoric attempt to encourage civility :ROTFL:

Thierry, I got that your response was likewise intended as "humorous understanding" :thumbs:

I know we all want this thread to be beneficial to all parties.

Thierry

I knew that Stephen's comments were pure humor (especially knowing that he himself owns 2 Alpa cameras :) ). But I didn't want it to be misunderstood by anybody, thus my answer not addressed to him directly.

But yes, it is very easy and fast to be misunderstood, when only words are implied.

Thierry

Charles, you are correct, and it's easy to misunderstand some forms of humor, especially dry wit, so let's keep it to a minimum please!

That said, I think it's pretty obvious Stephen's response was clearly humor -- and best of all, directed primarily at my sophomoric attempt to encourage civility :ROTFL:

Thierry, I got that your response was likewise intended as "humorous understanding" :thumbs:

I know we all want this thread to be beneficial to all parties.

Steve Fines

A tech camera has been on my back burner for quite a while, so I'm excited to see this thread.

Hopefully the advice will be better than the humor.

Maybe I could bump it along with some specifics - who has a camera they like that has:

A good tilt range (shift not as important), takes IQ backs, relatively lightweight, very good wide angle lenses - things that I think I would like in a landscape camera.

jlm

Workshop Member
here is a bit:

The Alpa HPF rings for the Schneider 43 and Rodie 70 will fit those same lenses in cambo mount, offering the same advantages.

However, if your cambo lenses have the T/S mount, the HPF rings will not fit without considerable modification (which I am about to undertake)

vjbelle

My two cents: Most important is WHO you buy from. There are some dealers that have a no return policy... others are generous. A dealer should be willing and ready to exchange any piece of equipment that the user is unhappy with. This is a major investment and if it requires even the slightest second thought, regarding funds, you should probably take a pass.

Alpa, which I own, has the least tilting capabilities. They will probably have to address this with a new/different body. The current solution is limited to 80mm and up. If tilting is paramount then Alpa may not be the body for you. However, Alpa does have a strong support mechanism..... I cannot speak for Arca or Cambo. Its rare that a body would be defective. Its likely that a lens will have issues and that's where a good dealer and manufacturer are extremely important.

Victor

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
John thanks for that info going to order the HPF ring for my 35 XL on my Cambo but did not know on the T/S mounts.

We could really simply do by each system with some of there highlights.

I'll start with Cambo since I just bought one. Most if not all of systems can do movements of 15 degrees in any direction except the Alpa TC and Cambo compact which both have no movements. So let's start here with movements . The Arca Rm3di,Rm2d, Cambo WRS , Alpa Max and Alpa Y I believe movements can be made from the back standard without limitations at least to 15 degrees in any direction rise/fall and stitch. The Alpa SWA , STC can do only one at a time either you have rise and fall on SWA or stitch with the STC . Either one switch to a different position can do the other movement
but it's either or not a combination like the full movement ones ID above. However Thierry can confirm this and talk Alpa better than me on this there is a attachment you can use and he can explain that. Those are the movements in general and some will go past 15 degrees and some may have more movement limitations. Check specs on models you are after.

Okay someone explain focusing and tilt shift options. I pass the torch on for that.

Let me add that was a general explanation and each model can be described in more detail.

stephengilbert

I can't believe I'm about to disagree with Guy, but,

The ALPA Max has rise and fall on the front and shift on the back. Rise and fall on the back can be had with an adapter. Paul Slotboom has very good videos on his (OpTechs Digital) website that show the movements on the Max, as well as the SWA. http://www.optechsdigital.com/Videos.html These videos give a good overview of the functions of the ALPA cameras except for the STC.

Thierry

Thanks Stephen, to correct.

The videos can be found as well on the Alpa site:

I shall tomorrow (it's a bit late over here) post a summary of the different Alpa cameras, since the different models are often compared with the wrong cameras of the competition. Those are the different field cameras available from Alpa, each for (a) different purpose(s):

ALPA 12 TC

ALPA 12 WA

ALPA 12 SWA

ALPA 12 MAX

Good night and day,
Thierry

The ALPA Max has rise and fall on the front and shift on the back. Rise and fall on the back can be had with an adapter. Paul Slotboom has very good videos on his (OpTechs Digital) website that show the movements on the Max, as well as the SWA. http://www.optechsdigital.com/Videos.html These videos give a good overview of the functions of the ALPA cameras except for the STC.

Don Libby

I'll stay out of this other than to say I've been with the Cambo WRS since a couple months after it was first introduced and have been very happy. It works for me - may not work for everyone.

Don

Guy Mancuso

Thanks bud I stand corrected. I knew it was something like that.

Mike M

Just like to add that a lot of people like the Alpa ground glass because of it's lack of grain

Also, I'd like to defend Alpa a bit when it comes to a lack of tilt ability in some instances. The original customers for Tech cameras were architectural photographers that didn't need all of the tilts/swings associated with view cameras and only wanted a highly precise rise/fall/shift. Most architectural shots done with extreme wide angle don't need tilts and most done with moderate wide angle don't need to be focused at infinity. Of course, I'm referring to what has been traditionally regarded as professional architectural photography. Hobbyists do things differently and sometimes they want gear to go beyond what it was originally designed for. None of this was really considered a problem until Arca came out with the built-in-tilt and folks starting buying tech cameras for landscapes and vacation photos. Full disclaimer: I hope to get an XY as my next camera so I'm definitely an alpa fanboy

Guy Mancuso

Actually Cambo is the only system you can swing and tilt at the same time. Arca it's one or the other, you have to flip the lens board. Alpa is 80 and above BUT with Cambo you have to have the T/S mount which costs a extra 1200 for each lens you want. There is no free lunch on any of them. You need to make choices on your needs but more important your compromises because each system has them.

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
I used the wrs-1000 and 35xl, actually the very same items that Guy is using now except he ripped off the bull bars first thing.
I had tried a cambo with the t/s lens panel but found the controls not to be pleasing to my fat fingers.
Now I am using an Arca Rm3di which allows either swing or tilt. Frankly I usually end up wanting one or the other in Landscape although both with product shooting. When shooting girls I find that movements are usually not useful except occasionally tilt in a wide angle toe to head sort of way.

One feature of the wrs-1000 that I find lacking in the Rm3di is the detent on center shifts One MUST get into the habit of zeroing out the camera upon the conclusion of each shot.

I enjoy the Arca helical and probably would find the area hpf as useful. Anybody who finds difficulty focusing at infinity (pixel peeping that is) will find that there are three tiny set-screws that need to be loosened a bit to allow focusing "beyond zero" These may be accessed once the focusing assembly has been removed from the body. Work the helical and their location will be obvious.
-bob