The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Tech Cams: the choices, which one and why ?

etrump

Thanks Tim . Like to know the procedure for calibrating the WRS. Maybe you can post a separate thread for us. Thanks Guy

Also I would like to be able to take left grip off bore a hole slight bigger to feed a sync cable through and replace. Is there any manual around for such details.

You can PM me this data if you like and have time .

Sorry little OT there folks
On my Cambo, I have found it helpful to calibrate each lens infinity stop by loosening the three small screws on the focus ring, adjust to infinity and tighten. Each new back I redo the calibration.

Thomas posted a simple explanation that I used.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Your like me I do many different types of shooting. I focused my area more on tech cams and wide though. My DSLR lenses are very good and can't get away from that system so I focused on a area on their weakest link or let's say the tech cam lenses are better at under 55mm in my case. This was kind of one reason I said start at the MF than work they tech . For me I know what I need to improve on and that is the wide end. So in my case I have the 35xl which looks to be a excellent lens and effectively a 22mm in 35 world. Which will handle the wide well, next maybe 60mm t/s lens since I don't have a T/s on the DSLR side. So for me I am intermingling my systems (plural). Some folks may just use tech cam only so there setup would vary.

So having the Hassy and if that is the back you want to use than figure out where your needs are outside the Hassy system. Now everyone figures these things out differently. I tend to think more mixing them together and cherry picking the best in each.

etrump

I use the Cambo WRS and love it for the most part. I bought it 3+ years ago and leaned heavily on my dealers (CI) recommendation and have to say they nailed it.

The reason I went tech was for the german glass and shifts. The available glass is comparable for all brands and the shift capabilities on the WRS is as flexible as any.

As much as I am impressed with the engineering of the Alpa and especially Arca systems, I have stuck with the WRS because it simply does everything I need and the results are as good as I would get with any of the techs. The bonus is it is compact and relatively light weight which helps with the hiking I do.

Some of the higher precision camera and focus systems look interesting but I can't see a real world benefit for the type of shooting I do. I decided to spend the money upgrading the glass to the HR23 and HR32 and am very glad I did. I'll probably put tilt shift mounts on the HR32 and 72L and call it done.

goesbang

Lots of helpful posts here.
As has been pointed out by several people here, the place to start really is to be very clear about what role your camera will be asked to fill.
As a pro architectural/idustrial shooter, my tech camera is my primary tool. However, the nature of my work and style is such that I primarily use it as a wide and ultrawide platform. My dream lens kit would be 23, 35 and 47mm lenses. It has to be light, portable, easily handholdable and part of an extensive system that I can grow with.
For the life of me, I cannot see how or why I would EVER need tilt with a 23mm and I have to date, never needed it with my 35mm. I have yet to have my images unsharp in any of the places both my clients and I have expected them to be sharp. If I was going to be regularly using lenses that are longer than 43mm, then perhaps the "I need tilt" argument would hold water. If you are in this camp, then the 80mm minimum focal length for the Alpa tilt adapter is a limitation.
However, if you are like me and view your tech cam as an extension of your lens range at the wide-angle to ultrawide end of the focal length range, then the need for tilt is moot.
I do like to use the Alpa tilt-adapter with my 150 for portraits (I used to do this a lot with my Fuji GX680) and for tabletop still life. This is just one example of how the sheer extent of options that is available from Alpa makes the system so versatile. (There are some examples of portraits on my website where I have run a narrow plane of focus tilted through the subjects head so only the eyes are in focus. Not so obvious at screen res, but awesome in print)
A couple of posts have mentioned manufacturer/dealer support. For me, as a working pro, this has always been a major factor. I expect my dealer or manufacturer to be extremely knowledgeable, accessible and responsive. One of my reasons for moving from Horseman to Alpa was the unbelievable support I get from the factory, even though I am in the Middle East and they are in Switzerland. I have never dealt with a manufacturer so focussed on their users needs as Alpa. A couple of the other brands that are supposedly represented here in the Middle East have dealers that know nothing (and I mean nothing) about the product they sell and in many cases do not have demo gear. To some extent I can accept the lack of demo gear as the volume of sales is small, but lack of product knowledge is just inexcusable. I'm sure there are lots of shooters in the smaller markets who share this frustration.
Shift is essential for what I do. In practice, due to limitations in image circle and the fact that with short lenses, small shifts in the image circle make quite big differences in view, I very rarely use more than 8mm of shift. Hence, for me, a camera that can shift lots more is unnecessary.
Once again, my advice is to work out what your real-world needs are, then buy appropriately.
On the subject of price, I'd say buy the right camera, pay the price once, then get on with enjoying USING it. There is nothing more frustrating than buying the slightly cheaper camera then wishing later you had ponied up the extra cash in the first place. All these cameras are expensive. Don't make it more expensive by having to sell your camera to upgrade later.
Cheers,

I was tempted by Alpa and RM3Di. I love the Linhof Techno too, but practically one has to choose. I eventually chose an Alpa Max and a TC. Here's why, I hope it helps.

- TC is tiny and really works handheld (replaces my Mamiya 7II)
- Max has nice movements and tilt adapter for longer lenses (replaces my 5x4)
- Of course lenses/accessories can move between the TC and Max
- The Alpa can be mounted any way around so the tilt can be on the back or front
- Rm3di tilt is at the base and will wave longer lenses around worse than the max
- I felt the speed of using the Rm3di to be too slow and couldn't get access to an Rm3di where I am to try, but could at least handle an Alpa

After struggling with a 4x5 and digital back
- I felt it absolutely necessary to have the infinity focus of the Alpa
- I did not want a sliding back
- Live view was not a possibility at that time (I'm not sure if that would change anything)

Basically I think my decision was to sacrifice tilt in favour of the infinity stops

Things I love about tech cams
- Size and weight (compared to a 4x5 setup)
- Stability, Image Quality, especially outdoors
- Ease and speed from seeing to capturing (compared to 4x5 - of course traded for post processing)
- Chimping

Things I hate about tech cameras
- Lack of flexibility (on a 4x5 you can wrap a lens in a sock, stuff it in the front standard)
- Focus stacking/stitching on windy days with anything that moves
- All the post processing of focus stacking/stitching/LCC/exposure stacking/perspective correction
- cost
- noise, long exposure

Finally
- The rosewood grips have improved my self esteem, my car runs better on cheaper fuel because of them and I swear I am luckier whenever I rub them. It must be due to their natural energy.

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
Cheer up Guy! The Cambo wood grips are just as nice and you don't need to knit a mask to get them.
RS handle conversion is $949 from us:
http://www.captureintegration.com/store/color/

Doug Peterson (e-mail Me)

Head of Technical Services, Capture Integration
Phase One Partner of the Year
Leaf, Leica, Cambo, Arca Swiss, Canon, Apple, Profoto, Broncolor, Eizo & More

National: 877.217.9870 *| *Cell: 740.707.2183
Newsletter | RSS Feed
Buy Capture One 6 at 10% off

Masters Series Workshop:
New England Landscape - Fall Color (Oct 5-8)

Guy Mancuso

You know Doug what we called really pretty girls in high school that teased us boys. Hmmm

Same applies here bud.

I think I need these for the workshop don't you. LOL
The nice warm rosewood handles in the winter would be pretty nice

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
Is that Brazilian :bugeyes: Rosewood?
you know, the one on the protected list?
-bob

Guy Mancuso

No that is nothing Dave is sending me his whole anniversary kit for a trip , talk about throwing me completely under the bus. My wife is not going to like Dave very soon here. LOL