The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Tech Cams: the choices, which one and why ?

aeaemd

It seems that we have a fair representation on the three big ones (i.e. Cambo, Arca and Alpa). How about linhof Techno?!!
I will get mine in few weeks.

Don Libby

Just finished rereading this thread and wanted to throw another body/system out for discussion. The Cambo Ultima.

I had the chance to try this camera out a short time after getting my WRS and the memory haunts me. I'd truly love to use this camera if only I were 20-years younger or had an 20-year old assistant to lug it around for me. The specs say this weighs 11 pounds if it does then it's the heaviest 11 pounds I ever felt.

The weight was the sole reason I never bought it. The system I tried had a sliding back with 2-lenses and groundglass. I used it for a trip I did in Monument Valley and Valley of the Gods and loved everything about it - except the weight. I quickly figured there was no way I'd feel like packing this beast along with the tripod and Cube for a mile hike so the WRS won out in the end.

Every once in a while I still think about....

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
Don - how well did you get on with focusing? I'm intrigued by the Techno myself the more I've looked at it and discussed with Amr. My concerns with these true tech cameras has always been with achieving decent focus - my experience with the small GG is so different to what I've been used to with 4x5.

Don Libby

Graham, This is all from several years ago and too many brain cells have past over the river since then so it's a little hazy...

My first problem (besides the overall weight factor) was using the groundglass. Remembering this was in my very early stages of using the WRS so my technique was still in its infancy. What I remember was using the sliding back was much easier than I thought and little to no learning curve. Open the lens wide look through the GG to set the image and focus, slide the back over and capture. While I didn't do any extreme imaging such as very close in I remember being pleased overall with the end results. I might be wrong here however I feel the GG was slightly larger than the WRS GG thus easier to use. I do remember feeling it was easier to use than on the WRS.

Just writing about it makes me think about it all over again. Then there's the Techno and so little has been written about that. Looks like a small version which could be very manageable in hiking several miles to say a cliff dwelling. Then again I can do that with the WRS....

Don

jlm

Workshop Member
i had a nice gg swing in adapter for the Rollei Xact, hated using it (had a slightly cropped hasselblad db at the time. also had a horseman with a clip-in gg (shifts only). had dreams of the old 4x5 gg experience, but nothing doing, it isn't at all the same

too tiny an image, grain was a problem using a loupe, as well as light falloff

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Just my .02, but for those looking for a full-featured view cam with bellows and extended movements, the Arca M-line 2 is pretty compelling. In addition to being rigid enough for high res imaging, it is relatively lightweight and compact. It is NOT hand-holdable though, but then nor were most filed view cameras when we shot 4x5. Recessed lensboards available for very short lenses, and special adapter boards so you can use your RM mounted lenses directly on the M-line. As a plus, you can replace either standard on the M-2 with the RM3Di camera body. This gives you added flexibility and movement capability. One of Arca's key strengths for years has been its modular approach.

*The Technar may be as versatile and adjustable as the Arca M-2, I just have never used one so cannot comment directly.

FTR, I have owned or used:

1) Cambo Ultima. IMHO it is not rigid or precise enough -- when you lock the standards down they move, rendering it almost useless for medium to short lenses. It is heavy.

2) Rollei Xact. Great camera, very solid. Could not use lenses shorter than around 60mm on it and it was heavy, like 9 pounds or almost 4 kilos. Excellent studio/product option.

3) Plaubel. Also impressive design, extremely rigid, very nice geared movements everywhere, but even more restricted in short lenses than the Xact and weighed even more than the Xact! Could use Rollei electro-shutter lenses. Another excellent studio/product option.

4) Silvestri Bi-Cam. Lighter in weight than any of the above. Adjustments were relatively crude and imprecise, was not very rigid -- even worse than the Cambo.