The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Calculating Max Shift

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
Thanks Doug. Nice charts! The first (bottom one) raises a few questions. The yello square that represents "2 Vertical Frame Stitch - Left/Right 15mm overlap 6.8mm)": Is that for the sensor in portrait mode? It looks like it must be.
And the "15mm [Overlap: 6.8mm]", for the P45+ in portrait mode the horizontal is 37mm. Moving it over 15mm leaves 22mm overlap from the center position.
So I must be missing something.

That said, wonderful graphics.
Thanks,
Bob
You're very welcome. This is a utility we created in house when we found none of the charts/graphics from the manufacturers were sufficient/flexible enough. It took us a good amount of time to create but I think it works well to give a easily understandable but very powerful visual.

The legend "two vertical frames" is meant to denote "two portrait-orientation frames" - so yes. That is the final image made from two vertical frames stitched together.

The left frame is moved 15mm left. The right frame is moved 15mm right. That means a total of 30mm of movement. So the approximately 37mm worth of width becomes approximately 7mm of overlap. 37mm - 15mm - 15mm = 7mm. Easy to overlook without such a graphical representation eh? :)

I've attached another illustration showing both of the vertical frames and how much they overlap after opposing 15mm movements (left/right).

Doug Peterson (e-mail Me)

Head of Technical Services, Capture Integration
Phase One Partner of the Year
Leaf, Leica, Cambo, Arca Swiss, Canon, Apple, Profoto, Broncolor, Eizo & More

National: 877.217.9870 *| *Cell: 740.707.2183
Newsletter | RSS Feed
Buy Capture One 6 at 10% off

Masters Series Workshop:
New England Landscape - Fall Color (Oct 5-8)

rga

Very VERY cool.
Based on this it seems that to cover the full range with the lens/sensor combo illustrated, only 2 exposures are really needed.

I think prevailing thought on this is that for CS5 to stitch, one should overlap sections by about 1/3. I'm going to run out tonight and see what happens with just two exposures; one far right and one far left. If it works that's 1/3 less work (initial exposure, LCC exposure, card/disk storage, post processing time, etc.) which would be awesome! :bugeyes:

Thanks for the further clarification Doug. Truly appreciated,
Bob

You're very welcome. This is a utility we created in house when we found none of the charts/graphics from the manufacturers were sufficient/flexible enough. It took us a good amount of time to create but I think it works well to give a easily understandable but very powerful visual.

The legend "two vertical frames" is meant to denote "two portrait-orientation frames" - so yes. That is the final image made from two vertical frames stitched together.

The left frame is moved 15mm left. The right frame is moved 15mm right. That means a total of 30mm of movement. So the approximately 37mm worth of width becomes approximately 7mm of overlap. 37mm - 15mm - 15mm = 7mm. Easy to overlook without such a graphical representation eh? :)

I've attached another illustration showing both of the vertical frames and how much they overlap after opposing 15mm movements (left/right).

Doug Peterson (e-mail Me)

Head of Technical Services, Capture Integration
Phase One Partner of the Year
Leaf, Leica, Cambo, Arca Swiss, Canon, Apple, Profoto, Broncolor, Eizo & More

National: 877.217.9870 *| *Cell: 740.707.2183
Newsletter | RSS Feed
Buy Capture One 6 at 10% off

Masters Series Workshop:
New England Landscape - Fall Color (Oct 5-8)

LonnaTucker

Generally the wider the lens, the more overlap you'll need or you'll have a nightmare trying to stitch without errors. I prefer the Photomerge Reposition method in PS CS5 (or CS4). With my 35XL I would shoot at least 3 frames - 12L, Center, 12R. It's not really a big deal to shoot another frame in the middle.

The 47mm XL is a dream for stitching as you can see from Doug's chart. It's my first choice usually, since it can reach all most every corner for multi-row stitching purposes.