The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Moving up from 5DM2 to P1-65+

SHAY KEDEM

BTW-for 'on budget' guys (like me) there is a wonderful solution : EBAY.
on Ebay you'll able to find almost anything for your P1-645D system, lenses, caps, accessories, backup batteries and all in great condition and nice price - works for me!.
I think that in the near future i'll buy more lenses to expand my new kit (85+55)

Ben Rubinstein

Guy, it's not my gear, it's going to belong to the organisation, it wouldn't be honest (or intelligent as if it breaks then I'm dead dead dead!) to take it and use it at a wedding.

Studio use, on a copy stand 100% of the time, I don't think that the clutch thing is that big a deal to be honest.

Why the latest 120 Macro? I'm trying to work this out, people talk about the C1 corrections but a highly corrected macro lens, one of the most highly thought of macro's period, does it really need that much software correction? The AF confirm thing is important though.

I'm buying the gear new, I want full coverage from the dealer, if anything goes wrong, if a lens so much as gives me a dirty look, I want the dealer there on their knees handing me sacks of gold as an apology and giving me replacements and stuff! :D, seriously though, yesterday the organisation told me they want things to move fast, very fast. I don't want problems that will cost money and time to solve, especially as they don't want me coming back to them during the course of the year asking for more and more money. A typical corporate situation where the accountants are trying to tell photographers how fast they can work and with what kind of budget but it is the reality here and I'm writing a paper to go with this quote which will spell out the realities of this kind of project to them. I want to be covered for the future so I can say 'I told you that you were'nt being realistic!'.

Something that only just occurred to me in bed last night, we're going to be shooting approx a million pages in two years. I've got to factor in new shutters! Is an LS rated for longer than the camera body, should that be a consideration? How much is a shutter replacement? Hmmmm.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Sorry thought you where making the purchase for yourself and working as a freelancer for this gig. Yes than need to buy new product . Never mentioned corrections for the 120 just the 55 you made need distortion corrections shooting artwork. 80 and 120 no not at all having that need. You just don't need to spend on LS glass. I would budget for a second body though. Better to have that going in than begging for it later plus you have immediate backup.

Guy Mancuso

Any camera trying to do a million shutter counts is not going to hold up. Period

So think ahead at least have two bodies with a note you may need another in the future.

Guy Mancuso

In general Ben I would think 300k per shutter count might just be max for any shutter. Now replacing shutter may not be very expensive either. So that is a good question to ask. Guess you really need to think about failures along the way with repair and replacement plans. This is with any system , your asking quite of bit of load on these.

Ben Rubinstein

P1 warranty up to 100k on a shutter but apparently the leaf shutters are usually good for 300k but cost double to replace. Cost of body shutter replacement is around the $1000 mark.

BTW a little birdie at the dealer told me about a 120mm Macro AF that's about to be announced....

Guy Mancuso

Yes heard the same. I'm waiting for the 240LS and you never know a new body that may not even have a shutter. Hmmm

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
P1 warranty up to 100k on a shutter but apparently the leaf shutters are usually good for 300k but cost double to replace. Cost of body shutter replacement is around the $1000 mark.

BTW a little birdie at the dealer told me about a 120mm Macro AF that's about to be announced....
Two quick notes.
- 100k shutter warranty or the life of your warranty - whichever comes first.
- In the US replacement of either a body shutter or lens shutter is fixed at $740+shipping/tax. I can't speak for international rates as they vary by country.

The 120mm Macro AF was one of the lenses publicly announced at Photokina last year.
http://www.captureintegration.com/2010/09/19/three-other-new-schneider-lenses/

Looking at that announcement I think the 1:1 maximum magnification spec is not correct (I don't know where the error was). I believe it is 1:2, but then again, until the lens is in my hands I never believe any of the specs :).

Doug Peterson (e-mail Me)

Head of Technical Services, Capture Integration
Phase One Partner of the Year
Leaf, Leica, Cambo, Arca Swiss, Canon, Apple, Profoto, Broncolor, Eizo & More

National: 877.217.9870 *| *Cell: 740.707.2183
Newsletter | RSS Feed
Buy Capture One 6 at 10% off

Masters Series Workshop:
New England Landscape - Fall Color (Oct 5-8)

yaya

This webinar was done yesterday in the US and I think that it is quite useful for those coming from 35mm into MF (or that are thinking about it): Link

Ben Rubinstein

I started watching it last night after you pasted it up on your FB Yair but never quite got past the first 5 minutes as I was busy with stuff, I'll watch it now. I've used MF and LF film of course, are there any good online tutorials though for using C1 and tethering with P1 cameras?

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
I started watching it last night after you pasted it up on your FB Yair but never quite got past the first 5 minutes as I was busy with stuff, I'll watch it now. I've used MF and LF film of course, are there any good online tutorials though for using C1 and tethering with P1 cameras?
Capture One Online Class

Doug Peterson (e-mail Me)

Head of Technical Services, Capture Integration
Phase One Partner of the Year
Leaf, Leica, Cambo, Arca Swiss, Canon, Apple, Profoto, Broncolor, Eizo & More

National: 877.217.9870 *| *Cell: 740.707.2183
Newsletter | RSS Feed
Buy Capture One 6 at 10% off

Masters Series Workshop:
New England Landscape - Fall Color (Oct 5-8)

lance_schad

Workshop Member
Ben ,

Phase One has some resources up on their site and You Tube channel or here is a link to additional Web Based Training:

http://forum.getdpi.com/forum/showthread.php?p=349433#post349433

Lance

kdphotography