The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Firmware upgrade for H4D40 & 50 Owners

jlm

Workshop Member
after all the info that has been leaked, asked and answered, it is a huge surprise that the high res screen is now going to work for all the H4 cameras.

Why on earth was this not explained as a potential development before?

David K

Workshop Member
If any one is so inclined I'd be interested to know how you can improve screen resolution with firmware. I understood this to be a feature for the H4D-60 but mistakenly assumed that model had a different screen. If it can be done via firmware... can it be done for brands other than Hassy???

etrigan63

Well, my experience in software design (26 years worth) lets me deduce that the hardware itself was capable of higher resolution but the software driving it was set to a lower resolution. Think of an LCD computer monitor with a resolution of 1600x1200 native running at 800x600.

Why do that? Limited resources. The onboard computers have a limited amount of RAM to work with. The more pixels you display, the more memory you need to manage them. Now, the displays on the H4D-40, 50 & 60 are the same model, but the support hardware may differ from model to model.

[SPECULATION]
The PRAM in the H4D-60 could be larger than the one in the H4D-40 & 50 and thus was easier to code for. The smaller models needed to have their other firmware routines tightened up to make room for the new features.
[/SPECULATION]

or

[CONSPIRACY THEORY]
Hasselblad knew this all along and was holding out on us. They launched it on the 60 to drum up upgrades and then released it on the 40 & 50 to get those moving.
[/CONSPIRACY THEORY]

sflxn

Well, I'm not going to question it. I look forward to the new firmware. Right now, when switching between the H4D lcd to my Nikon's lcd, I have to make a mental shift. I hope this brings the Hassy lcd closer to modern standards.

R

rpb

Excellent news, but seems a bit cruel to make everyone wait amost 3 months.

It must have been tested and worked for them to anounce the release, why the wait?

Well, my experience in software design (26 years worth) lets me deduce that the hardware itself was capable of higher resolution but the software driving it was set to a lower resolution. Think of an LCD computer monitor with a resolution of 1600x1200 native running at 800x600.

Why do that? Limited resources. The onboard computers have a limited amount of RAM to work with. The more pixels you display, the more memory you need to manage them. Now, the displays on the H4D-40, 50 & 60 are the same model, but the support hardware may differ from model to model.

[SPECULATION]
The PRAM in the H4D-60 could be larger than the one in the H4D-40 & 50 and thus was easier to code for. The smaller models needed to have their other firmware routines tightened up to make room for the new features.
[/SPECULATION]

or

[CONSPIRACY THEORY]
Hasselblad knew this all along and was holding out on us. They launched it on the 60 to drum up upgrades and then released it on the 40 & 50 to get those moving.
[/CONSPIRACY THEORY]
We all love a conspiracy theory on the forums! ;)

You are quite right with your [SPECULATION]. Lol. :D

The H4D60 is on a different hardware platform to the 40 and 50, to cope with larger sensor, higher data throughput etc etc.

Naturally this was designed from the outset to drive the display to the max resolution. The 40 and 50 being on a different platform were not.

Therefore it takes a little more time to finalise the code as it is very different to the 60 code!

Anyway, we feel that the existing owners should not miss out hence the upgrade. Announcement came now to ensure that these owners were not to be left out.

David

andrew wuttke

HI there

just wondering if there will be a firmware upgrade for the H4d-31 as well?? in the information ive seen thus far it mentions that this upgade is only for 40,50 60 backs.

I was told at the trade fair last year that the upgrade which was in the pipeline at the time (sprit level etc) would be for all H4d models, and to be honest if i knew that improved res screens were also on the way but only be available for 40mp and above i would have saved a little longer and bought a 40mp and not the 31mp

andrew

HI there

just wondering if there will be a firmware upgrade for the H4d-31 as well?? in the information ive seen thus far it mentions that this upgade is only for 40,50 60 backs.

I was told at the trade fair last year that the upgrade which was in the pipeline at the time (sprit level etc) would be for all H4d models, and to be honest if i knew that improved res screens were also on the way but only be available for 40mp and above i would have saved a little longer and bought a 40mp and not the 31mp

andrew
Unfortunately the H4D31 runs on the platform that also ran the 22MP. Therefore the hardware cannot support the new features.

Last year we actually had no idea if the new features would trickle down to anything and stay only on the 60 platform. The work of a few of our talented engineers made it possible for the 40 and 50.

Sorry Andrew!

David

Udo

Thank you Hasselblad for enabling these features after using and owning an H4D-50 now since 16 months (ehm, 19 months in December)...:confused:

JCVG

Thank you Hasselblad for enabling these features after using and owning an H4D-50 now since 16 months (ehm, 19 months in December)...:confused:
At least you don't have to buy a new camera and you will feel like you get a new one for free. How cool is that?:cool:

I'm glad that Hasselblad is giving us this upgrade for free instead of releasing a new hardware that we have to pay (I've seen other brands doing that). I'm still a happy h4d40 shooter and I have no reason to change my camera, I don't need more pixels, bigger file or bigger sensor and I really don't want to spend more money in my MF system (one body 5 lenses was a huge investment for me already). But getting this new free upgrade is exciting and will spicy up a bit my relationship with my baby. :D

Anyway, according to the conspiration theory, I'm sure my H4D40 can be easily upgraded to a hH4D50/60! Can't wait for the next firmware upgrade next year. :ROTFL:

Dustbak

I actually appreciate it that Hasseblad does supply new features with firmware later on. Sure there have been occassions where they promised to do so but never did (ISO upgrade on CF22 and older models) however in most cases there have been continued development.

They could have chosen not to do this and spend their fairly limited development resources on other new products that generate money. I like the fact they opted to this for existing customers instead.

When you already have the 50 for over a year you have enjoyed it for that long, now you get more.

Quentin_Bargate

Being nice to your customers is always a good strategy, whatever business you are in. That should, of course, include great trade-up deals as and when the next generation of bodies are released.

Here in London, Hassy have an excellent pro grade studio in Hoxton with all the trimmings available at greatly reduced cost to Hassselblad owners, and their Pro Centre shop nearby available to rent whatever you might need for a shoot. I think that is a practical step towards developing a good relationship and adding value.

If you try to gouge customers to maximise profit in the short term, you end up loosing out in the longer term. Any H4D represents a substantial inverstment for the photographer. If a firmware upgrade is all it takes to deliver these new enhnacements to 40/50 owners, it is quite right to make them available and I am delighted Hassy are doing so.