The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

HD3II-22 vs HD3II-31

fotografz

Welcome Tom.

I think you were clear in your specifications as to what type of work interests you most.

I have (or have had) all of the Hasselblad backs including the 22 meg version, and same for the Leaf backs. I now own and use a Hasselblad CFV, H3D-II/31, and H3D-II/39.

IF you even think you will be doing work with a view camera or any technical camera using tilts and shifts ... I'd shy away from the crop frame 1/3X sensors with microlenses. They produce color casts which are not easy to correct in post. Plus, even the slight extra area is helpful when working with tech cameras. I use my H3D-II/31 for fast paced portrait, fashion and event work. The camera is fast, fast, fast.

Obviously, budget is a main consideration. However, I would step up your game and look at a P45 refurbished back, rather than a new unit. Pricing may surprize you. The sensor is the same size as the 22 meg version but captures 39 meg RAW files rather than 22. The choice of camera depends on your needs.

woodyspedden

Hi t streng.

I too am looking at the Hasselblad offer for the H3DII-31. There is a long post and great input from other users at this forum called Considering the H3DII-31 about my considerations. I tried the 31 and it is really nice. I was surprised (by looking at the frame indicators in the viewfinder) how little more sensor area you get with the 22.

I then tested the P25+ (22m pxl) on the PhaseOne/Mamiya camera. I was surprised at the amount of moire and weird artefacts in hair, I got. Also the framerate was too slow for my type of work. I shoot kids fashion a lot, so that back is definately not for me. Today I downloaded the brand new version of Capture One 4, it is a great piece of software, and the files (that don't have fabric or hair in them) look really nice. I haven't quite ruled out the PhaseOne/Mamya system yet, but I think for my work the P30+ would be better suited. I don't do any landscape work or use a technical camera so the microlenses are only an advantage for my type of work.

The P25+ (and quite probably the Hasselblad 22 back too) is obviously a very competent back, so you need to try the two backs for the type of work you intend to use them for. A test will also help you decide if the sensor size makes a real difference for you and what lenses you'd need.

For the 31 back I really miss a fast 65mm lens in the Hasselblad line up a the 50 is equivalent to a 35mm lens on a DSLR and the 80 is more like a 70mm, so I you too miss this lens, please go to the Hasselblad website and use the contacts page to send them a suggestion to produce such a lens. It might only take a hundred emails to make it happen.

I didn't see a tool in C1 for removing Moire, perhaps I missed something? Anyone? I only used the software for 15 minutes so far, so I could have missed something. Phocus might have a fix for Moire from the Hasselblad back? The 22 back is appearantly being discontinued, so you should be able to negotiate a very good price for one if the dealer has one in stock.

I really like the H3DII camera, it has a lot to like about the design, but I haven't yet tried the Phocus software, as I am a pc user, but a Beta version should be out now, and final pc version will be presented at Photokina.

Good luck in deciding.

Best regards,
Anders
Anders

I may be wrong but I believe the only Phase software which deals with Moire' is Capture One Pro. It is now stuck at version 3.7.8 but I would bet we may be seeing the new version come Photokina.

Doug Peterson at Capture integration may have more insight into this.

Woody

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
That is correct Woody. Moire control is only in 3.7.8 at the moment. I was promised the new Pro version coming out does have Moire control. Should be out very soon. Looking forward to it. Been a C1 fan since my original 1ds, man that seems like ages ago.

Paratom

Thanks again for all the feedback.
I think I would really like to go in direction of the larger sensor.
It seems there are also good prices on refurb P25.

Now it looks like prices are around 7k € for a refurb P25 and 10k € for a new P25+ or 11k for a refurn P45.

Can anybody comment on the P25 vs P25+?

For the Hasselblad H3IID users: Does anybody use it with waist level finder?
How would you guys rate the H3IID vs Phase 645 Camera (besides the differences of the shutter in the camera vs only shutter in the lens)?

Question to fotografz: "Obviously, budget is a main consideration. However, I would step up your game and look at a P45 refurbished back" - Why? Because of higher resolution or because of less problems with moire?

Again, thanks for all the help!!!

fotografz

I'll leave it to others to communicate their impressions of the H3D verses the Phase 645.

Suffice it to say that for my applications I needed ALL of my lens choices to feature high shutter speed sync, so the comparison was a moot point ... I needed a leaf shutter type 645 camera. I did have and use a Mamiya 645AFD-II which did not compare favorably to the H3D, but the Phase One version (AKA: AFD-III) is supposed to be an excellent improvement.

The P25 verses the P45 (and + or not) ... or any 22 meg verses a 39 meg ... depends on your applications as they relate to your budget. Having something you won't use is a waste of money. Not having it if you need it is even worse.

I opted for a 39 meg sensor over the 22 meg version I once had because I found that I needed the additional resolution for a number of technical reasons. Moire was the least of those reasons. Severe cropping by art directors, and the need for lots of bleed area around the main image area for magazine reproduction was the primary reason ... that, and even greater detail in product photography for industrial clients.

One further consideration: the only digital backs that allow you to use them on an array of different medium format cameras are the backs from Sinar, and the CF digital back models from Hasselblad. This is accomplished through the use of adapters for each different camera.

H3D-II backs cannot do this at all (they CAN be used on technical cameras like a view camera), Phase One backs are fixed mounts, as are Leaf backs. These Mounts can be changed for a fee ... but do not have the "at will" ability to be used on different MF cameras like the Sinar and Hasselblad CF backs can.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
P25 Vs P25 Plus. LCD improvements on the Plus , ISO is better on the Plus 1 stop. There is more but I am forgetting it at the moment

yaya

Tom if you're already looking outside H'blad's offerings then you should check our current EU promotions - especially the new and refurbished Aptus backs (Aptus 75 for under 10K EUR...)

good luck

Yair