The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

RZ camera and the great outside

neil

I realise the RZ camera is primarily a studio camera. Just wondering if people are taking the RZ outside and using for landscape or cityscape photography etc. Any experiences or advice to share on using outside? How you carry the camera? Type of outdoor photography used for, etc.

My RZ is just crying out to be used more.

Thanks

Neil

bensonga

Hi Neil. There is a Flickr group for RZ67 images and many of them were obviously taken outside a studio. They look great. I have been really tempted to buy an RZ67 Pro IID recently...so I've been trying to avoid looking at RZ67 images for the past month or so. When it comes to purchases of more camera gear, resisting temptation is not my strong suit.

Gary

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
I used the RZ for landscape for about a year before I finally went to 4x5. It is a great camera, albeit heavier than other options. The glass is stellar including the 100-200 zoom. My basic kit was the 50, 65, 90 and 100-200 zoom. The short barrel 75 and 180 are very cool to use with the tilt shift adapter, and the 140 macro is outstanding as well. The latest FLE wides were a tad better at closer focus ranges than the predecessors, but I would only look to those if you are buying new focals; I would not necessarily replace any existing lenses unless you are having issues with them. At the end of the day, a tech camera or view camera is more flexible, but the RZ is a relative bargain right now and very serviceable if you can live with the range of focals.

I

IntimicyPhoto

The RZ is a great camera and the results with Mamiya lenses are excellent. Usually it is used in studio but it good outside too, for landscape or other kind of photography.

Rankin, a britain fashion photographer uses it a lot in his work as many other fashion photographers.

To be better it isn't so expensive as other 6x7 cameras.

homeiss

I have an RB67 and most everything I shoot with it is outdoors. A tripod makes the most sense, but sometimes I get a little crazy and throw a left-hand grip on it and an OP/TECH USA Super Pro Strap and go for a walk. I've shot handheld as slow as 1/60 and got good results but obviously that's risky business. :D

itsskin

Don't you worry! And don't listen too much for what people used to say ;)
Break the limits. Shoot from hands, run with camera, know where and how to stop :) Take this gorgeous machine outside and shoot some action! Worth the effort ;)

neil

Great picture. Good theme. Is it taken with your ZD back and RZ 110 lens. Nice out of focus effect on the steam train. How did you light the scene?

Thanks

Neil

itsskin

Huge white 2,5m diameter umbrella model front with 1200WS pack @ min power with RZ 67 Pro IID + ZD back@50 ISO and 110/2.8 lens wide open

bensonga

Resistance was futile :eek:
RZ Pro II & waist level finder
120 film backs (2)
50mm, 65mm, 110mm and 180mm short barrel (with spacer)
Those RZ lenses are a bargain.

Since I don't have a studio.....all of my shooting will be in the great outdoors (Alaska). I expect to use a tripod most of the time, but who knows, I might give a hand held shot a try now and then.

I love those big 6x7 transparencies and negatives (I have used a Pentax 67 system for about 20 years).....now I'll get to enjoy the rotating back as well. I will be interested to compare similar shots with the Pentax and Mamiya glass.

I'm hopeful that the gear will arrive before this weekend. Looks like we may get a day or do of decent weather on Sunday, before the Fall rains begin anew.

Gary

Last edited:

SergeiR

I shoot mine outside of studio and handheld almost all the time, unless i do need long exposures of course. No problem - both with grip and without.

(btw - anyone got any clues on why grip would stop firing up RZIID? Mine suddenly went dead - cant use shutter button on it)

SergeiR

I will be interested to compare similar shots with the Pentax and Mamiya glass.
According to studies you will get sharper landscapes, shooting from tripod, not just b/c of glass, but also b/c of shutter being leaf vs focal plane - less shake.

I cant remember where and who did it. But i did see that comparision done it details, using film and 67 RZ and Pentax.