The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

RZ 110/2.8 vs Canon 85/1.2 II in studio. White BG.

mvirtue

there is another poster showing a similar white lit bg (jumping woman, post 5) that does not show the flaring.
That would be me. As I posted earlier in this thread, I've had the same thing happen (loss of contrast) And every time it has been because I screwed up and ended up with more light closer to on-axis than I should have (badly flagged bg lights/too great a differential/etc). Any of the Canon's are more forgiving. With MF, when you screw up, you know you've screwed up.

Someone asked earlier if new RZ lenses have better coatings, I don't know. Most of my lenses are 'W' series. I think a couple are older. I've tried to find a guide/web page that talks about all the generations of lenses but I have not succeeded.

itsskin

Illya was very quick to criticize in another thread about someone else not getting everything they can out of the RZ/Digital platform. I'm just doing the same here. No malice or meanness, just some simple observations.

That said... those canons do make it easy!
You can criticize me as hard as you want. And I really appreciate it. No sarcasm here. It really helps me grow.

And I need to see what YOU do, to take your critics seriously.
Sometime it is all about writing, but not doing. Yes, internet :)

But please, don't compare mine work with the one I criticized

I will criticize this kind of work any time in future, regardless who post this.
what it has to do with "getting most of RZ system"? This is called "waste of money and time"
:)

S

Shelby Lewis

You can criticize me as hard as you want. And I really appreciate it. No sarcasm here. It really helps me grow.

And I need to see what YOU do, to take your critics seriously.
Sometime it is all about writing, but not doing. Yes, internet :)

But please, don't compare mine work with the one I criticized
I will criticize this kind of work any time in future, regardless who post this.
what it has to do with "getting most of RZ system"? This is called "waste of money and time"
:)
Just search my posts... plenty out here at GetDPI already.

shelbylewis.com (although much at this website is all "money maker" work that is more high-volume): here are few of my favorite sessions from a few years back:

http://www.shelbylewis.com/welcome-to-shelby-lewis-photog/2009/6/26/jack-alex-christine-john-family-portraits.html

http://www.shelbylewis.com/welcome-to-shelby-lewis-photog/category/children

http://www.shelbylewis.com/welcome-to-shelby-lewis-photog/2009/5/21/jamies-maternity-and-girls-maternity-photography.html

And here's a gallery of high school seniors... even though the market demands post-processing that is more heavy handed than I would do in my commercial work: http://www.shelbylewis.com/sl/

And how about some high key work: http://www.shelbylewis.com/welcome-to-shelby-lewis-photog/2008/12/11/the-many-shades-of-white-portrait-photography.html

No need to be negative about others' work, though. :thumbdown:
Shelby (no smiley face added)

johnnygoesdigital

I think it's obvious that photographers are very emotional about their tools when one uses them enough. Perhaps the tone from ILya should be considered passionate, and any critiques should not be taken too personally. But because of ILya's passionate critique in another thread, I looked at my own portfolio again, and realized he was right! I had several that were more the software's technique then of my own creativity, or the full potential of the camera! In the photograph that he was referring to, although, a nicely composed image, it didn't seem to exploit the RZ's full potential. Having other photographers make comments on our work is a good thing, it does make us strive a wee bit more, or at least think about it. It comes from experience - if everything here is always marshmallow pillows and gumdrop rainbows how are we going to know if our photography is any good.

JonMo

Everyone has an opinion, all can be valid in their way.
However; I think the practice of using another persons post tagged into their's to use as an example in a derogatory way is unacceptable.
I'm sorry Ilya, but your use of it in this post is insulting and makes it very personal against the original photographer.
Too far.
Regards.

itsskin

Shelby, very cool! Now I take your critics very seriously.

And for all insulted here - this is very professional forum. If you don't want an opinion - do not post. Feel free you use my images as references for any purpose. I would gladly listen to what professionals think about my work. If it is bad - I wouldn't run away crying in hurt feeling, but rather try to understand what's wrong and say "thank you".

The image above has nothing to do with RZ system and getting best of it. If you are sane - you should think so too. Ban me - but I really think this way and want to share my thinking with you.

gazwas

Shelby, very cool! Now I take your critics very seriously.

And for all insulted here - this is very professional forum. If you don't want an opinion - do not post. Feel free you use my images as references for any purpose. I would gladly listen to what professionals think about my work. If it is bad - I wouldn't run away crying in hurt feeling, but rather try to understand what's wrong and say "thank you".

The image above has nothing to do with RZ system and getting best of it. If you are sane - you should think so too.
I agree that this is a very professional forum and the manner in which people conduct discussions is a refreshing change to the many photography related discussion forums out there, where topics often result in pointless bashing. Your view of "Professional" is obviously very different to my view if you feel that you can talk about people's work the way you do.

You mentioned you had a dislike to the shot posted above in another thread which is your opinion and one you are entitled to. However, to then repost in another, unrelated thread and "Bash" the image and photographer again is just plain rude!

Criticism is good and useful but you have offered non to the Photographer in question and prefer insults.

Ban me - but I really think this way and want to share my thinking with you.
Now this is just childish. Discussion, criticism and banter is rewarding. Bashing other photographers who are brave enough to post images is verging on bullying and one way to guarantee the OP never posts another image again.

andrew wuttke

looks like flare off the background

"similar to mediumcool"

two easy solutions are big polystyrene sheets, paint one side black and block the flash heads from the lense thus reducing flare and i generally overexpose white background by 1/2 to 1 stop anymore and the edges get a bit flared ..... oh and of course lense hood always

fotografz

Guys, perhaps, it might just be a language/cultural slant where tone and manner is totally missing on the internet.

My Russian speaking pal Irakly sometime comes off that way when speaking English ... direct and without tact, often using the wrong adjectives.

Ilya doen't like the image he referenced ... because he "feels" is isn't representative of RZ capabilities. What he fails to take into account is that the RZ system is so diverse that it can do almost anything ... except lug its big-butt self around :ROTFL:

The error here on this thread is connecting a piece of gear to a photographers style of shooting. They are separate.

-Marc

mvirtue

...it can do almost anything ... except lug its big-butt self around :ROTFL:
Ah yup :)

Now if someone actually made a 6x7 DB. I've found myself one time to many seeing the image I want and then realizing that it was not within the crop lines. But this again is a digression.

fotografz

Ah yup :)

Now if someone actually made a 6x7 DB. I've found myself one time to many seeing the image I want and then realizing that it was not within the crop lines. But this again is a digression.
Actually, I think more folks would be using the RZ had Mamiya brought to market the 43mm W/A that they had years ago. I actually held one in my hands at Photo Plus in NYC.

-Marc