The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Show us your Tech Cam

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Well went back to Ace and got the 1/4 in thread at 3/4 inch and even 1 inch would work put a reducer in and looks great. So there you go and thanks Jack for the tip, good team work. LOL

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
So I realize that this is a very neat cable layout but how the heck do you folks with inverted lenses accurately set exposure with the control down below and essentially out of sight? When I'm shooting LCCs I need to go back and forth on exposure and although I use touch & count clicks back & forth I need to eyeball the control to make sure everything is where I want it at times. Don't you find that tricky with the lens inverted?

Ditto, I've never got on with using the smaller almost invisible aperture indicator on the bottom (top for you) vs the control.

Come to that, what about focus?

I think that maybe the shutter folks need to think about producing a new model with the cable release connecting from below? That would basically almost solve the spaghetti/medusa cabling problems with cables covering the controls you need to use such as exposure, shutter cock and aperture.

Woody Campbell

Workshop Member
So I realize that this is a very neat cable layout but how the heck do you folks with inverted lenses accurately set exposure with the control down below and essentially out of sight? When I'm shooting LCCs I need to go back and forth on exposure and although I use touch & count clicks back & forth I need to eyeball the control to make sure everything is where I want it at times. Don't you find that tricky with the lens inverted?

Ditto, I've never got on with using the smaller almost invisible aperture indicator on the bottom (top for you) vs the control.

Come to that, what about focus?

I think that maybe the shutter folks need to think about producing a new model with the cable release connecting from below? That would basically almost solve the spaghetti/medusa cabling problems with cables covering the controls you need to use such as exposure, shutter cock and aperture.
Hmmm . . . I actually like the upside down orientation for the lens, but at least on the Alpa version of these lenses there is no focus index mark or depth of field marks on the bottom of the lens. (You can set the HPF ring to any orientation so the distance scale can be in the right place upside down.) Solution?

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
Woody,

Yes I also like the inverted orientation of the lenses as all cables basically drop away, although in reality it's the cable release that messes things up with the "normal" orientation. It works great with LF and handheld finger release but on tech cams it would work better inverted.

Btw, nice product shots Guy ... I don't need a Cambo but you certainly do make them look sexy :thumbs:

jlm

Workshop Member
i tend to have eye level above the lens axis enough so i can look down at the settings located on the top of the lens barrel (working on a tripod entirely). the lever for aperture is on the bottom, near the cocker, but there is are duplicate scales for aperture and shutter:
bottom are the primary marks: aperture has a nice red index, scale on the barrel; shutter has nice red index, marks on the face, set with a full ring
top: aperture has a dinky metal arrow (still needs to be moved from the bottom); shuitter: same ring, but here the scale is on the barrel

Cambo does not let you mount the lens upside down, but i just flipped the camera and that looks like a better arrangement! only the T/S scales get harder to see

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Shutter, aperture and infinity are fairly easy as you can count shutter blind , aperture is top and bottom and infinity is all the way counterclockwise. It's the darn 50 ft mark (example) that are tough , why I bought the Alpa ring. But I find the Cambo not that complicated and easy to get control of. I also agree with John looking down at is easiest. So camera below you.

jotloob

Subscriber Member
An other very sexy beast . ROSE WOOD ! ! !

I have no sync solution cable yet . So I have to wakeup the back by using a HASSELBLAD sync release cable seperately additional to the shutter release .
Perhaps Thierry can finally give a positive feedback , when the short HASSELBLAD type cable will be available .

Don Libby

Guy has done such a marvelous job of showing the WRS I almost didn't want to include mine but then I thought I'd show what mine looks like after nearly 3 years of steady use. Sure it has a few dings and a couple scratches however I wouldn't want to give it up for anything.

I've decided to show 3-different setups. The first is on top of my heavy tripod where the Cube lives. This setup is heavy. I really don't want to hike out too far with this. The second sample is with a new Feisol CT 3443 tripod that also has a LB-7567 leveling base along with a Really Right Stuff PCL-1 panning clamp. This entire system weights less than 4 pounds and actually slightly less than 3.5 pounds; perfect for hiking out several miles. The leveling base allows for a very quick level of the WRS and the PCL helps keep everything together. I could have gone a simpler route using a ballhead however I've found them to be harder to level; guess I'm spoiled by the Cube.

The 3rd example is a hand-holdable setup where I've changed the shutter release out to a thinner one and threaded through the handle.

This is the hiking setup. Everything is the same except for the tripod.

Finally the hand hold or point-n-shoot...

I'll be using all three variations shortly while staying in WY for the next 2-months.

Don

Don Libby

An other very sexy beast . ROSE WOOD ! ! !

I have no sync solution cable yet . So I have to wakeup the back by using a HASSELBLAD sync release cable seperately additional to the shutter release .
Perhaps Thierry can finally give a positive feedback , when the short HASSELBLAD type cable will be available .

I'll admit it - I've had lust in my heart every since I saw the first rose wood handles on an Alpa. Glad Cambo finally woke up!

kdphotography

Wow, Don, I never thought I'd see someone who is more OCD than you! :ROTFL: Guy---you done good. Sweet job on the routing of the wiring. Looks great, I'm jealous. Just need to add those new Cambo wood handles...

Very dangerous thread here indeed....

ken

Don Libby

Wow, Don, I never thought I'd see someone who is more OCD than you! :ROTFL: Guy---you done good. Sweet job on the routing of the wiring. Looks great, I'm jealous. Just need to add those new Cambo wood handles...

Very dangerous thread here indeed....

ken
I completely forgot about that small opening at the base! What I'd like to do is replace the cord shown with one half the size. I know I could go the shorted route that Guy has shown however I don't like the idea of 2-cords having to be plugged together like an extension cord. Maybe I see if I can find somewhere to have the cord shorten...

And yes! It's refreshing to know you aren't the only member in the OCD club!

:D

jotloob

Subscriber Member
For those tech camera fans , who can "not afford" two ROSE WOOD grips , here is a camera , which needs only one grip .:ROTFL:
Unfortunately the color of some rose wood grips is a bit faded . But it is a natural material and every grip is unique .

I have now replaced the blue NOVOFLEX and the RRS QR clamps by black modified ARCA QR clamps , which can not twist .