The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Show us your Tech Cam

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
I guess I'm gonna have to photo my baby next time I'm out with two cameras!

jotloob

Subscriber Member
I picked up my ALPA SYNC solution device + cable yesterday from the ALPA team in ZURICH .
It is a very precise machined device , almost elegant and works perfectly .

Here a quick shot (with LUMIX G1) showing the sync device + cable to my CFV .

ALPA 12STC + HR4/40 + SYNC .

danlindberg

Well, ofcourse I will explain...:)

It is the original lens shade for a Fuji GX 680 III. I figured that the big size made for the fuji with filmsize 6x8cm + movements, it should be perfect for my Alpa.

It comes with Fuji special rings that attach to the lens with a filtersize of 82mm.

Here you see the 'all' the rings needed to my 72 and 120. I bought Heliopan (because they are brass) stepup rings, first 40,5 to 72, then 72 to 82, then Fuji special ring.

The superb thing is that even without the big shade, the rings act as a very nice lens shade on its own!

And when you need more extension, it snaps on to that ring in a splitsecond. Very fast and easy.

This is as far as I go! Which means my next tweak is to shorten the top rails, since I don't need the full extension.

Pretty cool :D

danlindberg

Forgot to mention, that it works perfect to the 35 XL too, I have to unscrew the 40,5 to 72 stepup and then it fits the centrefilter of the 35. With no extension of the bellows it is perfect for the wide!

jotloob

Subscriber Member
@ Dan

Thank you very much for showing your shading solution .
I could imagine that for the HR 28mm the two rods will appear on the image .
To shorten them is surely a good idea .

I currently use the LEE UNIVERSAL and WA shades . Sorry , i have no images yet .
Important is to have the WA Adapter rings .
It is very similar to your solution . A typical screw-in system . The hood is snapped on to the adapter ring . This is easy and fast .

The only disadvantage is when you want to use polarizers . But this is with all screw in solutions . Its possible but tricky and Not Good when in a hurry .
But wie should Not be in a hurry anyway .

@ Joe

For the LEE System , please have a look at their homepage .
Universal and WA hoods + WA Adapter rings for the different Lens Front threads.
They are usually available within a couple of days .

cunim

And very unique. Thanks for sharing. Are there any other solutions that tech camera shooters use that are readily available? Lee? Singh-Ray?
Joe, the Lee system works pretty well for me - both the filter holder and the shade. I like Lee because I use the Singh-Ray 4 x 6 grads a lot. I use it with tech lenses, various Phase lenses, and LF lenses up to a Apo Sironar N 360mm with a 105mm filter size. The Lee opening is only 95mm so that limits it for use with really big front elements and I use a different system there.

I just use an adaptor for each lens size. Note, I have not tried it with anything wider than the 40mm HRW.

One tricky thing is that the Lee wide angle shade is too big for LCC plates. I keep meaning to get one made that slips into the filter holder slots or is big enough to fit across the front of the collapsed shade.

Peter

jotloob

Subscriber Member
I just use an adaptor for each lens size. Note, I have not tried it with anything wider than the 40mm HRW.
One tricky thing is that the Lee wide angle shade is too big for LCC plates. I keep meaning to get one made that slips into the filter holder slots or is big enough to fit across the front of the collapsed shade.
Peter
Peter

I use the LEE WA with the HR-28mm . No trouble at all .
My Acryl LCC plate (Square 20 cm) covers easily the LEE adapter .

stephengilbert

I use an SKGrimes slip on adapter for my WA lenses: http://www.skgrimes.com/products/slip-on-filter-adapter They slip over the outside of the lens barrel, and are held on by friction imparted by an O-ring.

They make them to order, so you can get an adapter to fit your lens with whatever size filter and hood you choose. My two WA lenses, the 35 and 47 Digitars, both have the same barrel diamter, so I can use the adapter on either.

jotloob

Subscriber Member
Any concerns with the weight of that hanging off the front element of the lens? I'm using the LEE rings & hood adapters but I wouldn't want to have anything much heavier applying force to the front of the lenses.
I do not like the shading solutions which put weight on the front of the lens either . No matter which brand .
I am afraid the weight could damage the mechanics in the lens .

That includes Steve's suggestion .

I use an SKGrimes slip on adapter for my WA lenses: http://www.skgrimes.com/products/slip-on-filter-adapter They slip over the outside of the lens barrel, and are held on by friction imparted by an O-ring.
They make them to order, so you can get an adapter to fit your lens with whatever size filter and hood you choose. My two WA lenses, the 35 and 47 Digitars, both have the same barrel diamter, so I can use the adapter on either.
Unfortunately there are no adapters for the ARCA bellow shade and my plans to build one myself for the ALPA are still plans .

danlindberg

Any concerns with the weight of that hanging off the front element of the lens?
Yes, I have thought about it. The actual shade does not really weigh a lot and I don't think that is a problem in itself. BUT if you accidently hit the shade or keep it on the lens and put in your bag with force, then it acts as a lever and the force to the lens is considerable. That's why I am extremely careful in the use of it, since it is so quick and easy to put on the ring, it is the very last thing I put on the lens before exposing and the very first thing I take off when it is done! I would not dream of walking with it on or handle it in any way with it on.

After all, it was made for the Fujinons and the are MUCH sturdier in the front.

Bryan Stephens

Workshop Member
All of this discussion and viewing the images of the cameras makes me want to go out and try one. I have to admit that I have never used a Tech Cam, but have always been fascinated by them and the results that one can achieve.

pophoto

All of this discussion and viewing the images of the cameras makes me want to go out and try one. I have to admit that I have never used a Tech Cam, but have always been fascinated by them and the results that one can achieve.
I feel the same way. I also feel I can discern the image improvements, whether this is factual or make belief, the impression has not been disappointing. I agree that to a certain degree this may also have a lot to do with me being a gear bucket ('head' in your cases) :p

Stefan Steib

Well - I think I should show our newest version of improvement - still a prototype but what a fun to use: the 7cm longer TSE collar on the HCam-B1.
First of it´s kind, still not eloxed, allowing to rotate the camera 90 degrees while still being paralaxfree.
HCam-B1 with P45+, Canon TS-E 17, Hartblei Loupe finder 4,4x and radio remote control.

Uaiomex

Stefan: Actually the only thing I don't like about the collar is the long stem in the original model. For a 5D2, I think it's not necessary. A really short one would be much better, even with a battery pack attached to the camera (I think). It would make the lens very awkward and difficult to put inside a photo bag.
Other request. Could you upload a video in Youtube showing how to attach the collar to the lens and a little of the operation?
TIA
Eduardo

Stefan Steib

Eduardo

the lenght of the short collar is just long enough to leave enough space for your hand to hold the camera (with 5DII with battery grip or D1bodies) while turning.
I did add some images to the TSE Colar page recently which show operation
(from the manual that comes with each collar - still German will translate this to english soon) see here:
http://hartblei.de/en/canon-tse-collar.htm

regards
Stefan

Last edited: