The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Show us your Tech Cam

schuster

Shootig with a technical camera , digital or film , is very much like shooting LF
...and with digital you don't get to view your image upside down while nearly suffocating under a "dark cloth" in heat and humidity (or chasing it after the wind grabs it). And you don't have to bring along a Polaroid film holder and film if you want to get an idea of the image before processing the film. And you don't have to clean and load sheet film holders, and keep them out of direct sun, and not above room temperature, and not freezing... and other nifty things. But on the other hand, you do get to worry about batteries, charging, memory cards and sync cords. :bugeyes:

This on the other hand is a secret ;) I have a good understanding of my camera and tilt adapters. So I know the limits on all my lenses, how much each can be tilted and what kind of tilt it will give at what distance. I shoot tethered always if that helps!

Now
Eric , can you please tell me , how you focus when using one , two or even three T/S adapters ? ? ?

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
Have you ever been shooting large format , like 4x5 or 5x7 or even 8x10 ?
Shooting with a technical camera , digital or film , is very much like shooting LF .
...and with digital you don't get to view your image upside down while nearly suffocating under a "dark cloth" in heat and humidity (or chasing it after the wind grabs it). And you don't have to bring along a Polaroid film holder and film if you want to get an idea of the image before processing the film. And you don't have to clean and load sheet film holders, and keep them out of direct sun, and not above room temperature, and not freezing... and other nifty things. But on the other hand, you do get to worry about batteries, charging, memory cards and sync cords. :bugeyes:
Btw, you left out Lens Cast Correction white cards, LCC post processing, red centre spots (my new 23HR's contribution if you aren't careful with your lens hood!), zero latency or standard latency digital back trigger modes, and lastly calibration of your back to your tech camera body or adjustment offset factor if you using an Arca. However, other than all of that .... it's simple :grin: :ROTFL:

However, the reality is that once you have a process then it's no more daunting than driving, steering, braking and shifting a manual gearbox car. A seemingly confusing and difficult set of tasks when you first start and then ultimately unconscious autonomous actions once you've got accustomed to it and ingrained the required muscle memory. :thumbs:

jotloob

Subscriber Member
This on the other hand is a secret ;) I have a good understanding of my camera and tilt adapters. So I know the limits on all my lenses, how much each can be tilted and what kind of tilt it will give at what distance. I shoot tethered always if that helps!

OK. I understand , to shoot tethered is probabely the best way .
But how can you properly focus , when you have no chance for tethered mode .

I have put up this question in an other thread but Graham Welland was the only one who described his way of focusing .
A trial and error approach can not really be the solution .
Using the GG method like in LF shooting is no soution either .
All that kept me away from buying a T/S adapter so far .

So , here again , how do user of Tech Cams focus when working with TILT and/or SHIFT ? ? ? and not tethered ? ? ?

schuster

Oh, I forgot the mother of all color film insanity ... reciprocity failure compensation :loco:... and throw in a little bellows extension factor just for fun.

My six-speed gearbox is another planet in comparison, even while eating an ice cream cone. ;)

I have shot handheld not tethered - this is much easier the wider the lens you use. The tilt/shift if used properly can actually help keep everything in focus and allow for less error in focussing.
For example in this photo I knew I wanted the bread in focus along with the baker, but main focus along the bread. I dropped the lens a couple degrees knowing that this will give me a focal plane that goes from the bread to the baker. Instead of having a plane of focus (without tilt/shift) perpendicular to the camera, I am now able to bring my focus plane to something more flat (covering a larger distance of things in focus on the plane of focus, but then losing focus on things above and below the focal plane), then it is just being comfortable with your lens to know how the change in focus distance will move the plane of focus.

Alpa Max handheld (not tethered, shot wide open)
32HR
17mm T/S
P65+
Profoto Lighting

OK. I understand , to shoot tethered is probabely the best way .
But how can you properly focus , when you have no chance for tethered mode .

I have put up this question in an other thread but Graham Welland was the only one who described his way of focusing .
A trial and error approach can not really be the solution .
Using the GG method like in LF shooting is no soution either .
All that kept me away from buying a T/S adapter so far .

So , here again , how do user of Tech Cams focus when working with TILT and/or SHIFT ? ? ? and not tethered ? ? ?

Last edited:

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
All hail to the new king, err Max ... :thumbs:

Very nice. I miss mine. It's a great camera, especially with the shift adapter on it. Btw, if you don't have one yet, you might want to consider getting one of the Alpa shift indicator sticks. Very useful when you are doing rise/fall as the indications are on the front and this will show you at the top of the camera as well.

rayyen

Thanks Graham :) I have the stick too :) the seller very kind and give me the stick and the stitch adaptor for free :) wish I can test this baby soon :)

gazwas

I have shot handheld not tethered - this is much easier the wider the lens you use. The tilt/shift if used properly can actually help keep everything in focus and allow for less error in focussing.
For example in this photo I knew I wanted the bread in focus along with the baker, but main focus along the bread. I dropped the lens a couple degrees knowing that this will give me a focal plane that goes from the bread to the baker. Instead of having a plane of focus (without tilt/shift) perpendicular to the camera, I am now able to bring my focus plane to something more flat (covering a larger distance of things in focus on the plane of focus, but then losing focus on things above and below the focal plane), then it is just being comfortable with your lens to know how the change in focus distance will move the plane of focus.

Alpa Max handheld (not tethered, shot wide open)
32HR
17mm T/S
P65+
Profoto Lighting
Respect for you doing this shot with a tech camera - a Max no less - but my question would be more one of why? :confused: :loco:

I

Why? Because I am the kind of artist that wants the very best result every single time. Never would I choose to shoot a D800 just because it may be easier. I would always prefer that I have just a couple or even one amazing photo, than a couple hundred OK photos. I chose to switch over to Alpa for my product work, and I have chosen to adapt my style around it. I was scared at first that I would come home from the shoot and I would have only a few photos in focus. However, when I got home I was surprised to see that more than half the photos were well in focus. The photo I posted was one of the photos not chosen, the others that were chosen were of much better quality!

Photography is a feeling: autofocus, and all other electronic aid just takes away that feeling.

I will be returning to fashion soon and will be posting some photos taken with the max and 90HR handheld ;) We will see how that goes...

Ps: Its always a plus to have everyone tell me that my camera is the sexiest camera they have ever seen ;)

Respect for you doing this shot with a tech camera - a Max no less - but my question would be more one of why? :confused: :loco:

I

Thought you might like to see my new toy that arrived today. She is a cutie! Cambo WRS 1250. I'm just loving the Pallisander (Rosewood) handles (which are actually a little darker than they look here). In case you are wondering, I'm using a Manfrotto L-Bracket to enable speedy landscape to portrait changes. All on quick releases so it looks a bit crazy. I also use the L-bracket with an AFD for Panoramas so that's adding to the mayhem.

Because there are just not enough Arcas in this thread..... sporting a new hood and legs!

gareth, you are right - not enough arcas in here ;-)
wich compendium is that?
lee's or arca's

i do have the compendium 6x9 but miss the ability to attach my lee graduated filter.
but i fixed mine to make it slide over the groundglass to get a little sunshade when i'm to lazy to get the dark cloth out :angel:

jotloob

Subscriber Member
Hmmmmmmm . . . . nice , very nice :thumbup: Great idea .
That awakes the technician in me again .