The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Show us your Tech Cam

HenryDove

Can't wait to see some pics from that Max and FPS rig, and to hear about your experiences in due course. Is that a Lynx "assisting" with the boxes?!

Henry

Chris Beards

I had another good look at the Linhof Techno at the Focus show in the UK last week and following months of deliberations and research anguish finally ordered one.
I am still awaiting quotes on an Rm3d from two dealers but it seems to be such a protracted process getting a reply from Arca Swiss that I have just about given up on that route. I have used 5x4 view cameras for many years and like the traditional working method of the Techno.
Gareth & Paul I just picked up your posts sorry I didn't reply sooner.
Yes, Paula at Linhof Studio UK provides the superb level of service that one would expect with such a large investment.

jotloob

Subscriber Member
This seems to be the Jae Moon holder . As i am Not really satisfied with the ALPA
Holder I am thinking of how i can integrate this one with my bellows shade system .

stngoldberg

Hi Gerald,
I was interested in seeing your Alpa connected to a technical camera and a Roundshot.
Does anyone know if this is possible with a Hasselblad H4D50. It occurs to me that a Roundshot and a tech camera plus a digital back is the best of all worlds for a panorama

Stanley

gerald.d

Hi Stanley -

Ideally if you're hooking something up to the VR Drive 2, you want the VR Drive to be able to control the picture taking. Hence, you really need an FPS or Hartblei HCam.

Having to manually cock and release a shutter for large panoramas is a bit of a pain!

Kind regards,

Gerald.

Hi Gerald,
I was interested in seeing your Alpa connected to a technical camera and a Roundshot.
Does anyone know if this is possible with a Hasselblad H4D50. It occurs to me that a Roundshot and a tech camera plus a digital back is the best of all worlds for a panorama

Stanley

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
More cold conditions for Alpa/Leaf...

Dan,

How do you like the frame viewfinder with the Alpa? I've thought about getting one myself as an alternative to my optical viewfinder. Do you find it at all accurate or just a good general guideline for composition?

danlindberg

Dan,

How do you like the frame viewfinder with the Alpa? I've thought about getting one myself as an alternative to my optical viewfinder. Do you find it at all accurate or just a good general guideline for composition?
I can honestly say that I love it! I only have the one for SK 72L and it is surprisingly accurate. Weighs nothing, folds away and still feels sturdy. I have not used the optical finder at all since I got this.

I even use it for my wides, using it for lining up a rooftop for instance in the distance and knowing where the centre in the image is. Works really well for me. How wide it goes outside of the frame you learn pretty quickly.

If I had to choose between the optical and the 'sports' finder, I take the latter in a heartbeat.

Kevin Sink

I just got one of these also - very fine, impressive construction. Using it on my Rodenstock 32mm on ARCA. Have you used this with your wide angle lenses and found it helpful in reducing flare & reduced color saturation?

gerald.d

Wow, it feels like that lens can drop of that Alpa mount at any moment. Very impressive though!!
The lens is, of course, very front-heavy, but it feels totally stable and secure on an ALPA camera.

I'm really looking forward to trying this combo out on the Seitz VR Drive 2 for panos :)

gerald.d

Took me while, but finally worked out how to mount the FPS on the Max vertically. It's not as easy as you might think!

Need this for a shot this afternoon where I want around 20mm of fall on the back, but shooting in portrait (single row panorama). I could maybe get away shooting with just the Max in this instance I guess, but I like being able to set the delayed shutter on the FPS so that everything is totally steady when it fires.

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
There are Alpas and then there are Gerald's ALPAs!!

That's one heck of an outfit. It looks like it would have some play in the mount but we all know that with the Alpa it's all absolutely solid. Rock solid.