The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Show us your Tech Cam

PeterL

Ah - I see, thanks Graham. I usually don't put it down on a surface, the IQ and 35XL goes direct from bag to tripod, but I see what you mean.

Cheers, -Peter

gerald.d

Took me a couple of minutes to work it out, since the tripod plate mount looked odd.

But of course it's because you're using the TC rather than the 11mm adpater :)

No fewer than 6 interfaces between lens and back there!

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
Gerald/Dan,

You folks are doing nothing to diminish my FPS lust :facesmack: Only my pent up IQ260 lust is stronger right now :ROTFL:

danlindberg

Thanks guys :D I do not think I have ever used any type of camera that inspires more for experimentation and think-outside-the-box setups.

Graham is spot on regarding the rubberband. It acts as a cornerprotection and with small techlenses it dips backwards when put on a table and then the back rests on the rubber. I am extremely careful with my gear, still have the original sheet of plastic protection for the display! The ON button is easy to push by mistake and with the rubberband this is less of a problem.

The cool thing of using Hassy lenses is that I can have simultaneous shift and tilt/swing. On these pictures I use the TC and tilt adaptor but could ofcourse used the SWA or even the MAX instead.

I have only just seen the first images from the Distagon 4/40 IF, but the result is not bad. Not bad at all.....;)

danlindberg

Dan, make sure that you lock that release button :toocool:
I see it wasn't locked on the picture, but in this case no worries. I use my older DB adaptor to shim the back for perfect infinity with the Distagon and that adaptor is a very very tight fit. Tough to take off. However, locking is never a bad thing...:p

PeterA

Dan - please talk me into this new alpa gizmo - tell us all what you like about it and how you think you might use it.

Pete

danlindberg

Dan - please talk me into this new alpa gizmo - tell us all what you like about it and how you think you might use it.

Pete
Pete, its a must have! :toocool:

I have only just started to use it, so I will avoid any in depth analysis. However, as a first and initial impression it is OUTSTANDING. I have been used to the classical Alpas for quite some time and the Schneider tech lenses, thus, the FPS and non-tech lenses will have a tough game to play.

Right now I am trying out my Hassy V lenses and the Distagon 4/40 IF is up there in resolution. Haven't done distortion tests yet, but it will be a landscape lens anyway.
The Schneider PC-TS 90 is razorsharp and it really is handy to have all the movements right there in the lens.

I could actually see myself with a two lens setup in the future - PC-TS 28 + PC-TS 90 + FPS + CREDO 60 and call it a day. I could probably do 85% of my work with these two lenses and for the rest - I could have a beer instead ;)

I am only beginning to explore the FPS but the feel is tremendous and the possibilities endless.

If you try one - you buy one!

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
When I briefly tried one, my most memorable highlight was the incredible smoothness of the shutter. Given that its a Mamiya shutter that impressed me.

It's built like its made of pure unobtanium - incredibly solid feeling and I personally drank the downloadable firmware update potential kool aid. They've designed this camera for flexibility and with future proof approach.

f8orbust

I wonder if ALPA will start doing HPF rings for these alternative wide angles?
Wow, could you imagine the size / cost of some of those! Since focus scales on Canon, Nikon, Hasselblad etc. lenses are not as accurately marked as HPF rings, if you want to focus accurately I guess you have to shoot/review/tweak/shoot/review/tweak etc. (assuming you're using a DB with a good screen) or remove the DB and attach the Alpa ground glass?

BJNY

...The Schneider PC-TS 90 is razorsharp and it really is handy to have all the movements right there in the lens.

I could actually see myself with a two lens setup in the future - PC-TS 28 + PC-TS 90 + FPS + CREDO 60 and call it a day. I could probably do 85% of my work with these two lenses...
Does anyone know delivery date and cost of TS 28mm,
and how good it is (their TS 50mm isn't highly regarded, correct?)

chrismuc

Dan, if you would mount the Hasselblad 40 with a Mirex Hasselblad V - Canon EF TS adapter on a Canon mount to the Alpa FPS, you would get +/- 16mm shift and tilt with that lens (and any other V lens).