The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Capture One 6.3 Released - Lion Supported

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
Capture One 6.3 is available for download at phaseone.com.

Main improvements:
- Lion compatibility
- Improved Wide Angle Tech Camera LCC Algorithms
- Some new point and shoot cameras supported
- Some Windows-specific bug fixes

More details and our opinion on upgrading to Lion on our website:
Capture One 6.3 New Features and Bug Fixes

Doug Peterson (e-mail Me)

Head of Technical Services, Capture Integration
Phase One Partner of the Year
Leaf, Leica, Cambo, Arca Swiss, Canon, Apple, Profoto, Broncolor, Eizo & More

National: 877.217.9870 *| *Cell: 740.707.2183
Newsletter | RSS Feed
Buy Capture One 6 at 10% off

Masters Series Workshop:
New England Landscape - Fall Color (Oct 5-8)

Don Libby

Hey Doug! Any insight in what improvements went into the "Improved Wide Angle Tech Camera LCC Algorithms"? Are we speaking of real vast improvements or just tweaking the files? Just curious....

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
Still testing. Will take a week or two to answer better.

Gut feeling is something between minor tweaks and big improvements.

Don Libby

Thanks Doug.

Okay - just did a fast down and dirty test of a LCC I shot while shooting a cliff dwelling a month or so ago.

Previous LCC:

Upper left corner: 219-227-229-225
Upper right corner: 218-228-229-225
Lower left corner: 217-227-229-224
Lower right corner: 218-227-229-225
Center: 218-228-229-225

Today's LCC:

Upper left corner: 227-227-227-227
Upper right corner: 227-227-227-227
Lower left corner: 227-227-227-227
Lower right corner: 227-227-227-227
Center: 228-228-228-228

This is using the "Analyze (Technical Wideangle) with Color Cast, Light Falloff and Dust Removal all checked.

Not scientific by any means however seeing the two files side by side I can tell what appears to be an improvement.

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
Would you mind sharing an actual image before/after and what lens/movement/back was used?

I have put in for some more information directly from the development team, but as I'm sure you can imagine it was a very busy week for them so I don't expect more details until Monday.

alan_w_george

IQ180, 47mm Digitar, Cambo RS, 15mm up and 15mm over. Before LCC had very noticeable dark corner(s), now rerunning with 6.3 seems very even. I didn't measure but looks to be a pretty big improvement. Still had some lines from the different read out areas though. I am hoping a center filter will knock that out. Was contemplating a move to the Rodenstock 55 but will probably hang with the 47mm for now.

Don Libby

Agree the 6.3 after LCC has a much more consistent cooler or cleaner color to it.

Before

After

The "before" was from several month ago while the "after" from this morning shortly after I updated to 6.3. Same setting/workflow for both with color cast, light falloff and dust removal all checked.

Doug - is this what you had in mind?

Don

Forgot to add the details:

Schneider 72mm, P65+ (firmware 5.1.2) attached to a Cambo WRS1000. The LCC was shot with the back centered and 10mm vertical rise; f/8 1/60 ISO 200 White Balance auto. Captured 08:44 am06-20-2011.

Last edited:

dchew

Looks like a signifiant improvement to me. I posted an image a while ago in another thread: 18mm shift SK43xl, IQ180 on an Alpa STC:

Here's the new one using v6.3

Dave

Last edited:

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
The Capture One Dev Team reports that the main enhancement to LCC in 6.3 is in accepting and correcting a higher amount of fall-off. The above two examples are pretty clear illustrations of the improvement.

Newsletter | RSS Feed

Masters Series Workshop:

Don Libby

The Capture One Dev Team reports that the main enhancement to LCC in 6.3 is in accepting and correcting a higher amount of fall-off. The above two examples are pretty clear illustrations of the improvement.

Newsletter | RSS Feed

Masters Series Workshop:
I totally agree! Very pleased and will load this on the laptop.

etrump

Looks like a signifiant improvement to me. I posted an image a while ago in another thread: 18mm shift SK43xl, IQ180 on an Alpa STC:

Here's the new one using v6.3

Dave
Wow Dave, that is a substantially better correction. I would be interested in seeing how it performs with the 35XL on the IQ180. Now I am going to have to reprocess about half of my shots. ;)

dchew

Wow Dave, that is a substantially better correction. I would be interested in seeing how it performs with the 35XL on the IQ180. Now I am going to have to reprocess about half of my shots. ;)
Ed,
I don't have that lens so can't help you there. It's hard to tell with the image I posted, but I think the colors still go a little flat out at the edges, which jives with what Doug reported about this being a luminance improvement. I am still waiting for SK to offer a center filter for the 43xl. That should help the software make even better corrections.

Dave