The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Mirror Up No DB

G

gmerrell

I think it is more a camera body issue than a back issue. My AFDII did it with a ZD back and with a P30 back. My AFDIII did it with a P45 back, and now my DF does it with my 180 back. I have about 1500 actuations on my 180 back and this has happened at least four times. Removing all the batteries for a few seconds usually fixes it. Sometimes a second attempt is required. It is real annoying,of course it never happens at a convenient time. I have never had an issue with the backs on my Cambo 1000. Phase desperately needs to come out with a much improved shooting platform.

Greg

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
My IQ180 does this frequently, including the other day when it kept opening/closing repeatedly as fast as it could go. The only thing that fixes it for me is removing / reattaching the back. I was standing waist deep in water taking a shot and had to do this in Zions narrows last weekend - having my camera there was bad enough, and now of course I realize how stupid I was to not find a spot out of the stream before I did it, but the camera was literally going nuts on me so I panicked a little.

I've been unable to solve it, tried firmware re-installs, cleaning contacts, etc.
That sounds like a very different and more serious problem. I'd speak to your dealer to arrange an inspection/repair/replacement.

Doug Peterson (e-mail Me)

Head of Technical Services, Capture Integration
Phase One Partner of the Year
Leaf, Leica, Cambo, Arca Swiss, Canon, Apple, Profoto, Broncolor, Eizo & More

National: 877.217.9870 *| *Cell: 740.707.2183
Newsletter | RSS Feed
Buy Capture One 6 at 10% off

Masters Series Workshop:
New England Landscape - Fall Color (Oct 5-8)

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
I think it is more a camera body issue than a back issue. My AFDII did it with a ZD back and with a P30 back. My AFDIII did it with a P45 back, and now my DF does it with my 180 back. I have about 1500 actuations on my 180 back and this has happened at least four times. Removing all the batteries for a few seconds usually fixes it. Sometimes a second attempt is required. It is real annoying,of course it never happens at a convenient time. I have never had an issue with the backs on my Cambo 1000. Phase desperately needs to come out with a much improved shooting platform.
Greg: hadn't heard from you about it happening four times!

Re: body vs. back it's a complicated question because the error "No DB" simply means the body and back aren't in communication. In my experience with the ZD it was more likely the ZD than the AFDII. In my experience with the P45 and AFDIII it was more likely the AFDIII and in this case the IQ/DF it's very specifically the back firmware.

Once Phase updates the IQ firmware to address it I have realistic expectations that it will be fixed. That said, "No DB" may appear for other reasons (unclean contacts, low or poor-quality batteries etc).

Newsletter | RSS Feed

Masters Series Workshop:

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
This happens to me on my ADFII with the IQ180 all the time.
Note that the AFDII is not a supported camera for the IQ. The Mamiya AFDIII and Phase One AF/DF are the only supported cameras.

Newsletter | RSS Feed

Masters Series Workshop:

alan_w_george

Note that the AFDII is not a supported camera for the IQ. The Mamiya AFDIII and Phase One AF/DF are the only supported cameras.
News to me. Should I expect camera control not to work with upcoming firmware update? Or anything else? So far ADFII seems to work with the IQ180 (other than the "no DB" issue that can be worked around). I mainly use a tech camera and my SLR needs are simple, I was hoping NOT to have to waste money on an ADFIII or Phase DF before the new SLR was released. That would be a bit of salt in the wound.

EDIT: Pages 117 and 118 of the User Guide mention using the ADFII with IQ backs. This leads me to believe the AFDII is supported to some degree.

Last edited:

Wayne Fox

Workshop Member
So since I mentioned how "bright" I was disconnecting my back while standing waist deep in water, my son in law just emailed this picture he snapped of me and my former partner which was taken shortly after that lapse of good sense ...

View attachment 48753

Last edited:

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
News to me. Should I expect camera control not to work with upcoming firmware update? Or anything else? So far ADFII seems to work with the IQ180 (other than the "no DB" issue that can be worked around). I mainly use a tech camera and my SLR needs are simple, I was hoping NOT to have to waste money on an ADFIII or Phase DF before the new SLR was released. That would be a bit of salt in the wound.

EDIT: Pages 117 and 118 of the User Guide mention using the ADFII with IQ backs. This leads me to believe the AFDII is supported to some degree.
AFDII is not officially supported by the IQ. That doesn't mean it doesn't or won't work; it's just not a supported body and therefore not part of the R+D development or testing. When they add features they may or may not work on bodies which are not supported.

The references on pages 117 and 118 appear to be relics of copy/pasting pervious body's user manuals. As noted on page 80 and throughout the marketing materials the AF (aka AFDIII) and DF bodies are the only Mamiya/Phase bodies officially supported. I will point out those references to Phase to clean up or clarify.

Newsletter | RSS Feed

Masters Series Workshop:

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
Firmware 1.47 for the IQ has been released addressing the "no db" error experienced by several on this thread:

http://www.phaseone.com/en/Downloads/Firmware/IQ-Firmware.aspx

Free and easy to install. Contact your dealers if you have any questions.

Newsletter | RSS Feed

Masters Series Workshop:

yatlee

How long does the update take? I insert the card and started the upgrade, but after couple minute passed, the "installing bar" states as empty. What did I do wrong?

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
How long does the update take? I insert the card and started the upgrade, but after couple minute passed, the "installing bar" states as empty. What did I do wrong?
turn the back off, pull the battery, install battery, turn it on and then re-start the update.
that worked for me.
-bob

yatlee

Thanks Bob, it still not installing following your suggestion. This is a new back and came pre-installed with version 1.46. :(

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
I think that 1.46 should have the nodb fix as well as there have been test versions earlier than that circulating.
-bob