The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

H4D200MS in the Landscape

Citizen N

David,

Thanks for the link. In deed this is amazing.
But isn't this limited to the deserts and semideserts of the world?
Electrical lights, leaves or faster moving clouds would cause problems, wouldn't they?

Michael

Christopher

I would have loved to see some more typical image. I mean the one which is shown, well isn't challenging at all, I could make a pano showing 10 times the detail.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
That set-up reminds me of my Betterlight scanning back days! (Heavy tripod and laptop both required :D)

David,

Thanks for the link. In deed this is amazing.
But isn't this limited to the deserts and semideserts of the world?
Electrical lights, leaves or faster moving clouds would cause problems, wouldn't they?

Michael
Thanks Michael!

Indeed you wpuld have to exercise some caution, hence Les' comments about mixing in a single shot if need be.

It's not for everyone, but perhaps interesting to some. ;)

EH21

I have a fair amount of experience with multishot backs - which I use mostly for art reproduction, copy work, and table top work. I guess its cool to see someone use this outdoors, but to be honest there are way better scenes than this one to demonstrate what makes multishot so great. Typically you'll see the best DR of any back out there with the cleanest shadows, better color transitions and really crisp details. I just don't get why this scene was selected to show off the 200MS ... I'm not trying to knock the back, or hasselblad - quite the opposite. These backs can really shine.

bensonga

As far as I understand, the H4D is just little bit too heavy for most to want to carry around and take out to the field and rather leave it in the studio.
I don't know what a H4DMS200 w/lens, laptop and tripod weighs, but I'm guessing it's comparable to some large format view camera setups. Not something that most people would choose to carry, but as many excellent landscape photographers shooting with large format cameras have demonstrated over the years, it is very doable. Probably doesn't even require a pack mule or sherpa to carry the gear.

I would love to see more images (landscape or otherwise) taken with this camera, outside the studio environment.....so thanks for posting the link David.

Gary

Thierry

pophoto,

You have probably missed the "MS" part in the title: that was shot with a Multi-Shot back. That is the reason why it is challenging at the least, if not impossible in most situations with moving subjects.

Thierry

Can somebody please explain to me about the it cannot be done part!
As far as I understand, the H4D is just little bit too heavy for most to want to carry around and take out to the field and rather leave it in the studio. What am I missing here?

pophoto

Hi Thierry,

Actually I didn't miss the MS part, but I just didn't put it together :p

If I am not mistaken, the MS either something like 4 shots and pieces them together, or takes the in the different channels... okay so I'm not completely sure how it works, but I gather, if trees, clouds, bird move, then it's difficult, is this the correct line of thought here?

Thanks
Po

Thierry

Po,

Sorry, was believing so, that you missed it.

But yes, multi-shot works in a way that moving objects or parts of it cannot be shot with a multi-shot back.

I am not sure how works the Hasseblad 200 MS, and if it is 4 shots taken, but basically there is a piezo coupled to the sensor which allows to move the sensor by increments of micros very precisely. After each shot the sensor is moved by the exact size of 1 pixel, e.g. first horizontally right, then vertically down, then horizontally again but left, and finally back to the 0-position.

Doing so one is able to capture the full color information for each pixel, the Red, Blue and Green color information. In addition, the green information is captured 2 times and is used to help to calculate the luminance of each pixel.

The advantage is that one can now build up the color image without having to interpolate the 2 missing colors for each pixels by guessing (though this guess-work is pretty good nowadays) and thus getting a true color image resulting from it.

Thierry

Hi Thierry,

Actually I didn't miss the MS part, but I just didn't put it together :p

If I am not mistaken, the MS either something like 4 shots and pieces them together, or takes the in the different channels... okay so I'm not completely sure how it works, but I gather, if trees, clouds, bird move, then it's difficult, is this the correct line of thought here?

Thanks
Po

kdphotography

I'll never be able to have one, but it doesn't mean I don't want to hear/read about it. So thanks David. I'd enjoy hearing more about your experiences with the H4D200MS, both in and out of the field. Sherpas included. :)