The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

hasselblad h4d 40 or phase one p40+ system

nenes

Hi all . Im new on this forum as a member :).
I am gonna update my equipment and I was thinking about this two systems.
I have some questions (As a new member i would like to help instead ask for help...but i am realy loose...)
I am a fashion photographer and i work with a nikon d3x wich is very good but i get all the limits (in terms of IQ)with the nikon.
The systems i am interesting are the hasselblad h4d 40 with hc 80mm and the phase one p40+ with the LS 80mm lenses
I dont need long sposures times and frames per second...i am very quiet wile working soo........lets go :)
Do you know the diferences about starting at iso 100(hasselblad h4d 40)or starting at iso 50(phase one p40+)
Do you know the AF of the 645DF camera?
I like the true focus of the hasselblad and also the desing and that is a more new tecnology, and of course the hc lenses.
About the phase one I like capture one as i always shoot tethered,also the sync speed of the LS lenses and 4000/s speed but the focusing scares me and the desing is also not very beautifull for me.
Has the hasselblad h4d 40 an anti-aliasing filter? Because im trying to find out but i don t find anything.
Some of you have work with this product?
Do you know if it has a MF field even if its a 33x44mm sensor size'
Sorry about my english :)

THANKS FOR YOUR TIME :)

ghoonk

I went from a Mamiya 645 AFD II with Aptus 65 back to a Hasselblad H4D-31 (40 would have been ideal, but budget constraints... sigh). One of the bigger selling points for me was the Hassy True Focus feature, which does seem to nail the focus right (I tend to focus on eyes), as compared to my AFD II.

The DF AF is very quick, perhaps even faster than the H4D's, and there is practically no shutter lag at all, while the H4D does show a hint of shutter lag. The H4D won me over with better ergonomics (subjective, but I liked how it felt in hand), and while I missed out on the 1/1600 flash sync and max shutter speed of 1/4000s as compared to a 1/800 max shutter speed and flash sync speed, I liked the look and skin tones that came out of the H4D.

The HC lenses are, in my opinion (and just an opinion), on par with the Schneider lenses, so kudos to both manufacturers there - you can't go wrong with either.

I like the instant approval architecture (red/yellow/green) and how Phocus has a mobile extension which allows my stylist/MUA/client to see what was shot, though Phocus does throw a hissy fit at times and disconnects. It's a bit temperamental compared to C1 (I'm still coming to terms with Phocus), but I usually don't shoot tethered much anyway.

If you're a fashion photographer with no plans to shoot using a technical camera or LF, it does make sense to go with the H4D for True Focus and ergonomics (not to mention having to deal with one battery, not two - gone are the days I had to power up the back AND the body. With the H4D, the power button powers turns back and body on)

I dont recall the H4D having an AA filter, but I don't believe the Phase One / Leaf backs have one either. ISO100 on the Hassy is clean, as is ISO50 on the Phase. That said, a combination of 1/1600 flash sync at ISO50 can turn day into night, if that's your sort of thing.

Just my 2 cents as a gearhead and H4D shooter.

Willow

Hi

I have been shooting with a Nikon D3X the last couples of years.

I also have been shooting with several MFDBs since mid 1990s.

The P30, P30+, H3D31 and H4D40 are among those MFDBs.

Recently the urge to get back to MFDB made me do some tests again and I first tested the H4D60. My first impression was not good. I think it is to slow for shooting fashion and the files are too big and slow to proc.
And I dont think the files looked as sharp as I expected.

I was also thinking about the PhaseOne IQ and went to the dealer to have a look.
I brought the Hassy with me and did a focus test between the Hassy with HC100 and 645DF with a SK110LS.

There and then the Hassy was removed from the equation!

The HC100 hunted and hunted before it locked on but, the 100LS just snapped into focus.
LS100 is much smaller and lighter and it has a flashsync up to 1/1600.

And I do not like the ergonomics of the Hassy. It is heavy with those HC lenses and the grip is not nice to hold. It points too much straight down. Should be more tilted backwords.

And Focus is slow compared to C1.
C1 also have a mobile extension.
The IQ back with its new LCD is terrific.
But even if the new LCD is sharp and with lots of contrast, it is not up there with the Nikon and Canon. Probably because P1 sends out a raw file, while Nikon sends out a proc
jpg. Colors ( espesially skintones are not nice ( on the LCD ) ).

Then I looked at the Leaf Aptus II 8 ( same specs as the P1 IQ140 ).

After some thinking I went for the Aptus.
I want to shoot with those amazing SK LS lenses!!
And I want the famous skintones from LEAF.
And now I can proc Leaf in C1.

I also went for Aptus because for the same price as an IQ140 and 80 mmLS, I got an Aptus II 8 with 55, 80 and 110 lenses and an Airgrip!

And the Aptus I will have on tuesday, but the IQ140 is MAYBE in 4-5 weeks.

I am very excited to be back in the MFDB fold. .-)

Some answers:

The H4D40 has not an AA filter.
It for sure have a MF field even if it has a 33x44 sensor size.
The AF on 645DF with SK LS lenses are better than Hassy with HC lenses.
( but I wish DF had True Focus!! )

nenes

(Phocus does throw a hissy fit at times and disconnects. It's a bit temperamental compared to C1 (I'm still coming to terms with Phocus)

Thanks so much GHOONK.
What do you mean with (Phocus does throw a hissy fit at times and disconnects. It's a bit temperamental compared to C1 )?

For me tethered shooting is very important , but i tried phocus and i kike how great the software works the colors but i dont know how is it when tethered.
I love the desing of the h4d 40 but the is one thing i don t have clear .
Is the diferences starting with iso100 or iso50

pophoto

Hi

Hey Willow,

Let us know your personal experience with the Aptus, especially on the runway!

Thanks,
Po

yaya

Then I looked at the Leaf Aptus II 8 ( same specs as the P1 IQ140 ).

After some thinking I went for the Aptus.
I want to shoot with those amazing SK LS lenses!!
And I want the famous skintones from LEAF.
And now I can proc Leaf in C1.

I also went for Aptus because for the same price as an IQ140 and 80 mmLS, I got an Aptus II 8 with 55, 80 and 110 lenses and an Airgrip!

It was great to meet you Willow, hope you enjoy your new kit and hope we can see some images soon

Yair

Willow

It was great to meet you too Yair, even if i did not realize it was you ( Yaya ) until I came home:).

I will post some pictures soon.