The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Favorite Tripod and Head for MF

GMB

After reading the LL article about the “best tripod” , I realized I know basically nothing about tripod and heads . I will be using an S2 so my requirements arent as complete as the tech cameras . This seemed to be the place to ask with so many great landscape photographers and of course gear aficionado s .

I even found Jack s article on the Cube and a nice video on Robert White s site .
I shoot the S2 as well.

I had a 2 series Manfrottto and then bought a second hand Gitzo 3 series. It's noticably heavier and I only use it if I can shoot cose to the car. (I will also return it because something with the lock mechanism is not working properly).

As regards ball head, I went for the new Arca d4m (i.e., the non geared version) and have been very happy with that. I like that you can fix the 2 axies seperately, and I find that it operates as fast and easy as a normal ballhead. I also decided I don't need the geared version (and have not regretted that choise).

I also got the RRS L-plate which I think is great. I only put it on if I know I need the tripod--my normal set up is an Arca style plate with a handstrap.

Finally, I use my monopod much more than my tripod. It suits the street shootung style of the S2 and adds significant stability.

Georg

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
FYI On Arca swiss ratings for there heads

Z1 130 lbs
P1S 66lbs
PO at 44lbs

For comparison a CUBE is rated for a 8x10 view camera.

Most stress on a ball head, flipping it over for a vertical unless you are using a L bracket than anything off center will have more stress on the ball.

There is no formula here and who knows how they rate the weight as well but I know my Z1 even on a vertical with the heaviest I can get on my DF setup does not have any effect on the Z1. Its a mean machine. I admit I just bought a PO from Bob but it is for my tech cam and my travel pod. As much as you want maybe two sets of legs be careful when you get to the heads you don't short yourself trying to get to small a head. Frankly I won't touch anything but a Arca Swiss head but that is me. In the case of the PO my tech cam will never go vertical anyway so it will always be on the center of the ball. Need to think how you are going to use these things , you may also get some relief if your using a L bracket since even on a vertical you are still on the center of the ball mostly. Something to think about.

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
I'm not sure that there's much value in comparing say a geared head to ball head really.

If you want speed & versatility and don't need precise settings then a ball head is probably your choice. The weight issue is more important here because of creep off center.

If you want to be able to accurately and controllably set the level and position of your camera on a head without swinging around back & forth then a geared head is probably your best choice. Something like a CUBE or 402 will shoot in vertical mode but it's kind of an unnatural act and not a great design in any case due to the weight offset from center.

Two different needs IMHO with two different solutions. Trying to find a universal solution seems like an exercise in frustration. Use the right tool for the right job and you'll be much happier. :)

glenerrolrd

Workshop Member
I am fortunate to be able to shoot a lot ...99% personal work ...so matching the equipment to the application is high on my list . I have series 1 and 2 that I use with my M9s ..the old Leica table top head on the travel pod and the bh40 on the series 2.

The S2 i have been using the series 2 with the BH55 which has a nice feel (and we found it!). But I feel the set could use a size or two larger and more stable.

I know the options now and its helpful to see what others are using.

But it doesn t seem like the any one feels they need a more stable tripod/head to support the higher MP of the newer MF backs . That seemed to be Mark Dubovoy s point in his article.

Generally MF requires a series 3 or larger tripod and head that matches your application and handling requirements . Still good advice .

Guy Mancuso

I'm not sure that there's much value in comparing say a geared head to ball head really.

If you want speed & versatility and don't need precise settings then a ball head is probably your choice. The weight issue is more important here because of creep off center.

If you want to be able to accurately and controllably set the level and position of your camera on a head without swinging around back & forth then a geared head is probably your best choice. Something like a CUBE or 402 will shoot in vertical mode but it's kind of an unnatural act and not a great design in any case due to the weight offset from center.

Two different needs IMHO with two different solutions. Trying to find a universal solution seems like an exercise in frustration. Use the right tool for the right job and you'll be much happier. :)
I agree Graham totally I was just using the Cube as a point of reference. I still don't have one and probably never will. Just does not fit me with all that I shoot and the ball head for me is the most versatile tool. For others this is a totally different scenario. I know what Roger shoots and really the ball head is his only game in town.

Guy Mancuso

Roger I like RRS stuff but I dumped there BH 55 for one really good solid reason. If you loosen the knob and it falls to the side it can go all the way to the side by a whole truckload and actually tip over. I had that almost happen to me when it broke loose letting the knob go and not holding it. On the Z1 if it don't hit the vertical slot than if it lets loosest on tips maybe 20 degrees and less likely to tip over. A almost big accident made me sell it. Try this at home with the BH 55 with care of course and you can see what i mean it gets awful close to going completely vertical on you and with a good chunk of weight a very dangerous situation. They are nice head though and very strong just don't like there setup.

This is a little hard to explain without a video handy to show.

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
:thumbs: it would be a boring world if everyone's needs and solutions were the same. I would envisage you as being horribly constrained and frustrated with a CUBE type of head ... Ditto the big scaffolding too.

Shashin

With all these posts about gear heads and balled heads, I can't tell if we are talking about equipment or photographers...

tsjanik

I'm with Guy on the Z1. It weighs under a pound and I have used it with a Pentax 67 and 500mm lens with no creep and yet I can adjust it to allow me, and not gravity, to reposition the camera.

kdphotography

....But it doesn t seem like the any one feels they need a more stable tripod/head to support the higher MP of the newer MF backs . That seemed to be Mark Dubovoy s point in his article.

.... .
*true joke*

No one here (in Dante's Inferno) "feels they need a more stable tripod"---because they already have it, long before Mark Dubovoy lamented on it. :D When I transitioned from the P45+ to the P65+, I knew I needed/wanted a more stable platform, and bought the Gitzo 5541LS (with Cube).

Hell, half the posts here are talking about having multiple platforms for their MFDB systems, which I do find to be a necessary as no one tripod can do it all.

Don Libby

I've got different tripods to fit the situation but the one I use the most is the Gitzo with a Cube. And I don't mean this Cube...