The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

My new 111,4 Mpixels back on the ALPA is amazing !

yaya

Yes, Yair but you'd almost have to write that working for Leaf as you do. Certainly a mater of perspective. I imagine that Yoel would take you into his office for a talk if you wrote you preferred film. :)
:salute:

You're right and I should also say that my film experience is limited to a 3 month darkroom course (1 hr/ week) somewhere in the early 90's so even if I wanted to I'm not able to say I prefer film... even if I really, really wanted to :toocool:

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
Hmm, is it me or am I stuck in a repeating time warp. I believe I've seen all this discussion before, before, before, before, before ... ... (and I don't mean Stef's enjoyment of shooting film btw - more power to you! :thumbs: )

Film & digital - just different. I'm not sure that resolution has got much to do with it anyway. You either like the look of one or the other and convincing one group or the other to change their views over the capabilities in an apples vs pears comparison probably isn't going to happen.

Oh well, back to the peanut gallery :watch:

Shashin

It is not about film or digital really. It is about ego. Just saying. No need to shoot the messenger.

Shashin

The funny thing is we are all photographers where you would think enjoying each others work would you unite us rather dividing us because of the process. Perhaps we just forgot about the glass plate vs. film wars of the turn of the last century. I am sure they just hung the daguerreotypests.

Shashin

There is only one thing better than film--beer (or a really good hard cider).

There are some good wines, too...

Last edited:

steflaurent974

Hey guys, I post this to express my joy to watch big negatives and positives on film. No war in the mind : my internal thinking was a bit more complex. Few years ago I jumped into MFBD for 8000 euros and got a ... P25+ and alpa 12swa ; the new Phase back are appealing but as I am not yet a millionar I asked myself :
am I still happy with what I get with this set up ? and the answer was yes. In parallel I have always shoot 35mm film and 6X6, so I gave a try to this 6X9 back on the alpa.
The results pleased me so much : I have the feeling I won't need to go bigger.

Is there much or less resolution ? Maybe not as Stuart pointed it with his test, but for me these BW negatives I scanned looks far more better than my BW out of the P25+.

Resolution is good when you need it. I have enough with what I have.

That's it, enjoy shooting guys whatever camera you are using.

By the way Shashin, you're right there are also very good wines. ;-)

PS : and I don't like the way digital stuff loose his value on the market.

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
Resolution is good when you need it. I have enough with what I have.

That's it, enjoy shooting guys whatever camera you are using.
:thumbs: Absolutely. I couldn't agree more.

PS : and I don't like the way digital stuff loose his value on the market.
And this particular aspect does indeed suck but in general medium format seems to fare better than consumer gear I find, plus as you've found with your P25+ (I just bought one too btw!) you still have a great imaging platform regardless of the 'latest' technology released in the last couple of years. You don't need 40, 60, 80mp to shoot great art. It's nice, sure, but you don't NEED it in general. I like the fact that my IQ160 has 60mp but for many situations the same sensor size and MFDB capabilities at 20mp would do as well for a print.