The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

H2&P45+ or H4d-40?

pipzz

Thinking to jump in MFD world sometime in the future (not planning to use tech cameras)

Any recommendation or hands-on experience regarding IQ, handling, tethering? Thanks.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
As far as sensor capabilities your talking apples vs oranges. Iso goes to H40 no question, long exposures goes to P 45. I agree with Jeff what is your main thrust of shooting

pipzz

A little more info on your shooting style etc. would help a lt.
Studio and landscape. I use D3s, but missing creamy look of MFD. I like Hassy colors, but P45+ has bigger sensor and solid tethering (and low light performance?).

My cameras were N70->500CM->Sinar F2(4x5)->Tachi 8x10->D3s

pipzz

As far as sensor capabilities your talking apples vs oranges. Iso goes to H40 no question, long exposures goes to P 45. I agree with Jeff what is your main thrust of shooting
I'm wondering is 4 min @ ISO100 with H40, will be the same quality, as 8 min @ISO50 with P45+(or P45?) Which one deliver less noise? P45+ is about 6(?) years technology and H40 is last year one.

Guy Mancuso

Most likely the p45 but it's only good to start with to ISO 200 . The Hassy is good to 800. But long exposures the edge will most likly go to the P45 at low iso especially 50. They are both great sensors but they are very different. Most versatile I would lean to the Hassy but if you constantly shooting long exposures not much can touch the P45.

Guy Mancuso

If you are shooting studio and long stuff than the p45 is a great sensor for that. Not saying the H40 is not but that sensor is a more do it all

Sharokin

My friend (food and editorial photographer) went from a P45+ on his Hasselblad V camera's to an H4D 50. No comparison, according to him. The colors are far superior on the H4D 50.

I have the H4D 40 myself and believe the Hasselblad has the best colors of any camera I have ever owned.

pipzz

If you are shooting studio and long stuff than the p45 is a great sensor for that. Not saying the H40 is not but that sensor is a more do it all
But how long is long? My long is mostly up to 4 min. Any advantage P45+ over H40 in that range?

I'm just wondering regarding price: P45+ back only is more than H40 + lens.

Udo

As Guy already mentioned, these are two different sensor sizes, so a direct comparison is a bit difficult.

The P45+ can be used for exposures up to an hour depending on temperature, while the newer Hassi sensor delivers better in the higher ISO range.

I have been using P20 and P30+ on H1 and H2 bodies and finally switched to H4D50 due to focusing problems with the H1/2-Phase combos, i.e. the sensor plane didn't seem to be in the perfect distance.

The H4D-40's body offers True focus which is a big plus compared to the older bodies. Furthermore one should be aware of the communication between body and back, namely DAC data which is being used by Phocus software for optical corrections.

cheers, Udo

johnnygoesdigital

If you don't need a tech camera, I would choose the H4D. I've owned them both, and the H with MU, has virtually no vibration. The micro lenses are very useful for low light, the flash synch's to 1/800, and everything in between. For landscape, nothing compares to a LS system,IMO.

nenes

Have you think on the phase one p40+ with shneider optics?
the p40+ is just 1min exposure time but it is also good on iso 400-800 full resolution performance.
At the end i purchase a phase one p40+ system because i work tethered all the time and i need at least 1/1600 speed .
If i could have capture one and fast speed on hasselblad h4d 40 i will go for it...i have to say that the h4d 40 is a beautifull camera and much more new tecnology.
I have worked for 3days long with the h2-p45+ and i have to say that after iso 200 stars to don t look very aceptable. I do just fashion, but i like to have a very versatile system because each day is diferent .
Hope it helps :) and you do not get more confused