The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

120mm macro for an Rm3di

Any thoughts re the Rodenstock 120mm f/5.6 Apo-Macro-Sironar digital Lens or the Schneider 120mm f/5.6 Apo Digitar M Lens, to use on an Arca. The Rodenstock has the attraction of a larger image circle, but is it currently available? Also, will either lens focus to infinity?

Thanks!

Thierry

Rob,

The rodenstock 120 mm apo macro sironar exists, more details here:

Rodenstock 120 mm Apo Macro Sironar

It is meant for image scale from 1:5 to larger

As for the Schneider, it can be focused at infinity:

Schneider Apo-Digitar 5.6/120 mm N

Best regards
Thierry
Any thoughts re the Rodenstock 120mm f/5.6 Apo-Macro-Sironar digital Lens or the Schneider 120mm f/5.6 Apo Digitar M Lens, to use on an Arca. The Rodenstock has the attraction of a larger image circle, but is it currently available? Also, will either lens focus to infinity?

Thanks!

cng

I have the Schneider for my Linhof 679cs. Haven't used it extensively but I have no complaints. Then again, I'm not a big believer in ultimate resolution as the holy grail.

It has always seemed to me that most people go for the Schneider over the Rodenstock, but I'm not sure why that is. They each have slightly different optimal reproduction ratios. I went with the Schneider only because my existing lenses were Schneider.

I know of someone who recently bought and tested both the Rodenstock and Schneider. His comments were passed on to me anonymously by a UK dealer and I'm pretty sure the same person also posted their thoughts on these lenses on either GetDPI or LL:

QUOTE: "We've come to the conclusion that both the Schneider and the Rodenstock are equal at the point where you focus, both in terms of sharpness and colour.

However, where the Rodenstock differs, is that when you stop down, the depth of field leans towards getting the further distance more in focus, whereas the Schneider has the closer distance more in focus.

So no lens is really better than the other, just different, and in my case, I prefer the Rodenstock because of the 'perceived' increase in depth of field towards the far distance, a little bonus for the type of photography I do."

P.S. I was told that he kept the Rodenstock and returned the Schneider.

archivue

i used to have the Rod 120 macro, and switch to the digital version... the main difference was that the apo macro sironar digital is even more flare resistant !
i have never tested the schneider myself, but from all my readings, it looks like that like the 70 vs 72 battle, there's no clear winner !

jotloob

Subscriber Member
I have both lenses , the APO-MACRO-SIRONAR 5,6/120 and the
APO-MACRO-SIRONAR DIGITAL 5,6/120 . Both in ARCA front plate for use with the ARCA F-LINE 6x9 .
I have used both lenses for table top with the CFV-39 and can't see a difference in IQ .
I wonder if the digital version could be adapted in an ALPA mount .
The RODIE 120 does not appear in the ALPA lens list .

jotloob

Subscriber Member
For all of you , hoping for an ALPA mount for the APO-MACRO-SIRONAR 120 digital . There is and will not be an ALPA mount available for this Rodie .
So the SK 120 macro has a most exclusive position among the macro lenses for technical cameras .

archivue

So the SK 120 macro has a most exclusive position among the macro lenses for technical cameras ...

you mean for Alpa technical cameras...

An even more basic question, taking a step back - will either of these lenses actually focus through their full range from macro to infinity on an Arca RM3di, given the limited extension range using a helical mount?

greygrad

Well, to get to 1:1 with the Schneider you need a flange focal distance of 234mm - and even greater to get to 2:1, 3:1 etc., so it seems that it would be difficult to use this lens for the purpose it was designed for (macro shooting) on the RM3D/i without spacers to move the DB away from the lens. Also remember that the image circle gets smaller towards infinity - it's 110mm @ f5.6 @ 4:1 and 80mm @ f11 @ 1:4 - so it might only be around 60mm - 65mm at infinity (I'd guess).

Thanks Greygrad. Can you remind me of the formula to calculate flange focal distances for different subject/sensor ratios. Using a spacer is a given of course.

The larger image circle of the Rodenstock 120 macro becomes more attractive, given its diminishment at longer distance shooting.