The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Leaf AFI Rolleiflex Hy6 Question

P

photousa

Hey All,
I had a Leaf AFI, Hy6 body question. I purchased my Leaf AFI 7 when Calumet panicked and dumped all of their Leaf AFI kits when things went South a few years ago. I'm glad I held on to it, because I'm thrilled with it even more, now that both companies are still around & support and upgrades are available.
My HY6 is all original, Version 2 or Index 2, so recently I email DHW and asked about the upgrades that were available for my camera. I received an email back from "Frank" at DHW, here's a copy of his return email:

you have an camera with index 2. the last index is 4.
by the upgrade you get an new handgripmechanism, new elektronik for the AF,
new mirrormagnet, new AF-mirror and new Software with new funktions ( AF-offset ) the endprice included tax and shipping is 542,64€

$735 is a hefty sum to upgrade an essentially new camera body. Is there anyone with experience out there who can explain in detail what is going on with the upgrade list above? Or is there an article somewhere I can have a look at that explains how the upgrades improve the camera. Of course, I want to upgrade my Hy6 body, but I'd like to know in detail what I'm paying for.

Thanks for your help.

Graham Mitchell

They are replacing quite a lot of the camera so the price seems quite reasonable. The AF was upgraded, so if you are not using AF lenses this would be a waste, but if you are and yearn for improved performance this might be worthwhile. Alternatively you could sell your existing camera and buy a new Hy6 with warranty and latest everything, although this would be even more expensive.

Geoff

I'm with Graham on this one. The AF update is for accuracy - note the item about AF offset - which is under discussion on LL abouthow to micro-adjust the back for different lenses. I haven't used it yet, but others speak highly of it.

Have you checked out Leica upgrade prices by comparison? And their prices are for less complicated upgrades. But if you don't need it, you don't need it.

jeanlucco

Having two bodies AFI and shooting mainly with AF lenses (50, 80, 180 and 60-140) I should check the status of my bodies. One have been sent to DHW in February for maintenance when the mirror suddenly stay locked in "Up" position. AF with the 80 gives consistent good results, this is not the case for the 50 and 60-140, at the end I get lazy and most of the time the 60-140 stay in the cabinet.

P

photousa

Thanks all. I'm going to have the upgrade done to my existing camera, I was just wondering what improvements I can expect and you've all given me a good idea.
And no, I haven't seen Leica's upgrade prices, but the S2 is on my "Dream Camera" list.
I had a former Hy6 user tell me once that he could never get the AF to work with the 180mm lens, so perhaps this upgrade solves that issue. I also received a clarification from Frank that, "the new handgripmechanism has the same positions, the mechanism is tougher".
Sure would be nice to see the Hy6 with as many focus zones as my Canon 5DMkII and it would be especially cool if the camera could be adapted to shoot cinema, could you image that ?

DeckardTrinity

The 180mm focuses very well with the 3.10a version of the HY6 / AFI body (the last / latest version of the camera, which is what you will end up with if you send it in to DHW). For non-AF lenses yes, the built-in AF mechanism confirms focus only.