The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Hasselblad 45deg finder for sliding back

f8orbust

Could someone recommend one of the Hasselblad (V-fit) 45 degree viewfinder's for use on a sliding back?

I know the RMFX is popular, but very pricey (one on eBay now for $499!) Also, it doesn't use a prism, 'just' a mirror...are there any advantages of the viewfinders that use prisms over mirrors? Do they perform better or worse with wide-angles?

Thanks in advance.

fotografz

I've used both mirror and prism types on my Kapture Group sliding back. With both, you still have to do critical focus on the ground glass with a 6 to 10X loop. Most of the Prism finders are bulky and heavy compared to the RMFx finder #47070, and cost as much or more. The RMFx finder is generally a bit over-priced for what it is because it is a little more rare. The RMFx does not have diopter correction and there is a special holder so you can get correction lenses made to match your eyes. The magnification factor is 3.3X

If it MUST be a 45º finder, disregard the following:

So, I currently use the straight Hasselblad V chimney finder # 52094 that doesn't use a mirror or prism, magnifies the ground glass 2.5X and has an easy to use knurled ring diopter adjustment. It is a direct view and quite bright ... good for over-all composition and roughing in the focus before going to the loop for critical focus. About $100 to $200 on e-bay. Look for the later one with a big knurled diopter ring and tear-drop shaped eye shade.

-Marc

f8orbust

Marc - are finders that use a prism brighter than the RMFX - particularly towards the edges with wide angle lenses - or about the same?

I have a Hartblei chimney finder, which is great - but I'd like a 45 deg one too.