The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Warning - Stolen Alpa Products in Zürich

Thierry

To all, this is an official information.

Last night burglars entered our Alpa offices in Zurich by force. Dozens of lenses and a not yet clear number of brand new cameras and many accessories have been stolen. We are of course assured against such losses but all this will cause delivery problems.

We will put all serial numbers of the stolen goods on our website a.s.a.p.

We would like to warn and suggest you to not purchase any Alpa products from non-official dealers. Please get in touch with any official Alpa dealer or with us directly in case of doubts.

The Alpa Team Switzerland
Thierry

thrice

People are shocking. What kind of crooks even know what Alpas are? Or what they're worth!? I cannot imagine photographers or people with a working knowledge of cameras being capable of doing this. But the facts don't lie.

I hope you catch the bastards.

dougpeterson

Workshop Member

narikin

Thierry, sorry to hear of this. I thought you Swiss had the best security of anywhere!

b.t.w.: its House (or Office or Warehouse) "Break-In" in English, not 'Housebreaking'. Sounds identical, I know.

Hope the thieves are caught too, though I expect they are already way over the border in the East by now. Your stuff is very visible, so I'm sure some will come to light sooner or later.

jotloob

Subscriber Member
Thierry

I am sorry to hear of this burglary .
The burglers must have known the place Very well and what good gear they will find .
I will have an open eye for ominous ALPA gear offers .

danlindberg

Very sorry to hear this :mad: I wonder how thieves can actually sell items this specialized? Really hope the police will catch the responsible and that the items are returned.
I have just now written down my own serial numbers on my Alpa stuff.....

jotloob

Subscriber Member
Very sorry to hear this :mad: I wonder how thieves can actually sell items this specialized? Really hope the police will catch the responsible and that the items are returned.
I have just now written down my own serial numbers on my Alpa stuff.....
I wonder how photographers , and we are talking about professional stuff here , can buy such gear , when they know its stolen gear .:eek:

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
I like to answer that question but it would not be a very nice comment.

It's just totally bad for the industry in so many ways. Alpa makes great products and this is just a totally shame.

David K

Workshop Member
Sorry to hear this Thierry. This sort of thing is becoming all too common. I've got three friends who have suffered theft losses recently and aside from any financial loss there's an unpleasant sense of having had your space violated. Hopefully the photographic community will be made aware of this which will make disposing of such items difficult. Better yet would be if they caught the thieves.

danlindberg

I wonder how photographers , and we are talking about professional stuff here , can buy such gear , when they know its stolen gear .:eek:
I agree! Truly remarkable if any professional photographer would buy stolen equipment if they know it is stolen.

I believe in 'what goes around, comes around' so anybody dealing with any kind of bad stuff will sooner or later be kicked in their butts real hard :mad:

Shashin

I agree! Truly remarkable if any professional photographer would buy stolen equipment if they know it is stolen.
It will be a dishonest professional or an opportunistic amateur. Since this seems to be a large haul, it looks like it is for resale which is going to be a challenge--easier to sell a mass produced camera.

I hope it was not an inside job or a disgruntled employee--you expect criminals to be dishonest, but not the people you work for or with...

My sympathies, this is a huge violation.

Thierry

No way, Shashin, the Alpa Team is a team of very few people (7), included the owners, Ursula, Thomas and André and included myself.
They are all well-know technicians in the business since years and appreciated for their professionalism and their human qualities.
The same way, there are no disgruntled employees, so far.

Thierry

I hope it was not an inside job or a disgruntled employee--you expect criminals to be dishonest, but not the people you work for or with...

Thierry

After a day of cleaning, tidying up and checking was has been stolen, we can provide a first list of the stolen products.

I would like to publish the list of the most identifiable items here.

They took many lenses, also some 3rd party lenses/cameras and a digital back.
Also, the complete film-back demo stock is gone.

So if you face strange questions about adapters or film backs, please be alerted.

Thanks to all for your support and kind words.

Thierry

emr

I wonder if Google search will index that pdf too? Because it might be good if the serial numbers could be found on the internet if people are buying some equipment and want to search with the S/N.

Thierry

Guy,

So far no Alpa camera bodies are missing.

Serial numbers on Alpa cameras can be found engraved on the bottom part or on the back of the camera.

Thierry

Camera bodies also. Do they carry serial numbers and where would they be placed on body.