The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

MAMIYA 50 shift lens... differenst opinions...

Jérôme.E

Jérôme: you can easily adjust infinity focus in C50. Under the focus ring rubber, there is 3 little screws. Loose them a bit and then you can turn the focus ring while blocking the front element so you can modify actual lens to focal plane distance when you set the focus to infinity-

Be careful. You may only need offset a couple of millimeters .
Thanks a lot Garcia, i didn't know. I'll try, carefully ;)

G

Garcia

They should be there, around the focus ring, 120º apart one from each other, under the rubber.

In order to remove the focus ring rubber completely, you must take apart the shift mount. But I think you can manage without the hassle.

Cheers.

mediumcool

I finally got a Mamiya 50mm shift early this year from eBay for $500au shipped from Poland. I find it a very good lens with simple barrel distortion (no moustaches!) which is easy to correct. I have used it both for stitching and for single shots with movement.

Below is a reduced resolution photo (40%) from Adelaide’s Botanic Garden during winter (2138 x 1603px) followed by some 100% screenshots from C1 showing the crop via the Navigator tool (reason for the differences in brightness is that I set vignetting to zero when processing the full frame).

Probably f11, with a fair amount of drop front, on 36 x 48mm Aptus 22. No sharpness falloff added. Open in new window or tab to see full size.

archivue

i'm pretty shure that the DF screen isn't good at all for focusing shift lenses... best is to focus unshift, then apply shift... or maybe using the distance scale (after having check it with live view...).

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
You are supposed to meter AND focus BEFORE you apply the shifts.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Agree with Jack here. Get everything on manual with shutter and aperture, focus and don't touch focus when shifting. No automation here your the steering wheel. LOL

Raul82

Hi!
I'm a long time reader of the forum, but never got the time or need to signup.

I realize that this is a very old thread, but I need some urgent answers about a Mamiya 50mm f4 shift lens that I recently bought.

Today I received a Mamiya 50mm f4 Shift lens that I bought on ebay last week. I was planning to use it on my 645DF, but sadly i realized that it has a different mount than Mamiya 645, after a search, it seems that it has been modified for a Hasselblad V system.

I don't really blame the seller since he's not specialized in photography equipment, and the lens itself was very well priced and the cosmetic and optical condition seems to be excellent. Adapters for using Hasselblad lenses on M645 don't look expensive (although right now I could only find some dubious ebay sellers from Hong Kong). The lens seems maybe 2cm shorter now than the original version, so with an adapter it will regain roughly the original distance from the back element to the mount, maybe a little more.

So I guess my questions are: Can I use this lens with a Hassy to Mamiya adapter? Will that affect the performance of the lens? Maybe I can focus it at infinity?

Thanks!

ps: I've posted a couple of pics and another ebay link with a similar lens to the one I bought.
Mamiya SHIFT C 1:4 50mm 4/50 Objektiv für Hasselbald z.b. 500 CM | eBay

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
I've never seen that before. My bet is it was a one-off (or give your eBay link a two-off) for a special application like aerial or on a 200 series body (given that a normal 500 body would not be able to use it due to lack of shutter).

IF it was designed to work (including infinity focus) on a 200 series body than it would work on a Phase/Mamiya body with a V-to-M adapter. Also assuming the remanufacturing was done carefully and did not result in any mechanical alignment issues then the quality would not be degraded simply by putting it on a Phase/Mamiya body with a mechanical adpater. But since I've never seen anything like this, and I strongly suspect no one here has either, then we can't tell you for sure if either of these suppositions are correct.

This just highlights the downsides of using eBay rather than a specialized medium format dealer or a more photo-dedicated site like KEH.com.

If you have a good relationship to a specialized Phase or Mamiya Leaf dealer it should be very easy to borrow a V-to-M adapter and test this lens out. If not, I guess I'd suggest either returning the lens, or buying a V-to-M adapter and hope that it's in good optical condition and was remounted in a way that maintained infinity focus.

There is always some chance that someone here has seen this before and will have the specific answer, but I would not hold your breath for that - I haven't seen everything, but usually I've at least heard of something.

Raul82

I've never seen that before. My bet is it was a one-off (or give your eBay link a two-off) for a special application like aerial or on a 200 series body (given that a normal 500 body would not be able to use it due to lack of shutter).

IF it was designed to work (including infinity focus) on a 200 series body than it would work on a Phase/Mamiya body with a V-to-M adapter. Also assuming the remanufacturing was done carefully and did not result in any mechanical alignment issues then the quality would not be degraded simply by putting it on a Phase/Mamiya body with a mechanical adpater. But since I've never seen anything like this, and I strongly suspect no one here has either, then we can't tell you for sure if either of these suppositions are correct.

This just highlights the downsides of using eBay rather than a specialized medium format dealer or a more photo-dedicated site like KEH.com.

If you have a good relationship to a specialized Phase or Mamiya Leaf dealer it should be very easy to borrow a V-to-M adapter and test this lens out. If not, I guess I'd suggest either returning the lens, or buying a V-to-M adapter and hope that it's in good optical condition and was remounted in a way that maintained infinity focus.

There is always some chance that someone here has seen this before and will have the specific answer, but I would not hold your breath for that - I haven't seen everything, but usually I've at least heard of something.
thanks for throwing some light on the matter! I think I will return it after all, the modification seems very well crafted but I rather get one with the Mamiya mount than using an adapter.

lance_schad

Workshop Member
A client of mine just picked up a Mamiya 50mm f/4 shift lens for under $600 on KEH.
Working with a place like KEH on a older used lens is a better alternative than Ebay as they stand behind what they sell and usually have more than one of the item.
This is important so if you get a piece of equipment from them and ir does not work, they are able to replace it usually.
So if your looking for a lens to replace this one try them.

Lance

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
Further to lance's comment about KEH, I've always found their quality definitions conservative. I will buy EX/VG and even bargain from them because there is no risk (you can return anything). Their excellent is darn near new condition in my experience.

Raul82

A client of mine just picked up a Mamiya 50mm f/4 shift lens for under $600 on KEH.
Working with a place like KEH on a older used lens is a better alternative than Ebay as they stand behind what they sell and usually have more than one of the item.
This is important so if you get a piece of equipment from them and ir does not work, they are able to replace it usually.
So if your looking for a lens to replace this one try them.

Lance
I just check on KEH but it seems that they don't have this lens listed right now.
thanks for the suggestion.

chrismuc

The lens sharpness is decent shifted and the distortion is not too strong. Enclosed a pic fully shifted 15 mm on a IQ180 back. Feel free to draw you own conclusions.
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/18437364/pictures/Mamiya-50+15mm-upperhalf.jpg
On the FPS + IQ back I use the Zeiss Hasselblad CF 50f4 FLE with a Mirex TS adapter (Hasselblad V to Canon EF) which also gives 15mm shift movement in any direction (easier and more precise to do +15mm/-15mm shifted pics for stitching than shifting one side and turning 180° with the Mamiya 50f4 PC lens) and shifted corner sharpness is better but that is not an option for Mamiya 645/Phase One camera users because the flange distance difference between Hasselblad V and Mamiya 645 is not enough for a shift adapter.