The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Polarizing Filter with Hand Held Tech Cam

rga

Wondering if anyone has a way of using a polarizing filter when using a tech cam and external viewfinder (i.e., the MFB is attached and you don't have live view).

There used to be an oversized step up ring for Leica M's that had slots in it to see how to orient the polar filter before shooting so wondering if anyone has done that or something else (I need it for the 35 Digitar with center filter...).

Thanks,
Bob

fotophil

Try viewing with filter held to your eye and note filter ring orientation - most filter rings have some sort of markings. Mount filter on camera lens with same orientation. It's not super accurate but usually good enough.

rga

Try viewing with filter held to your eye and note filter ring orientation - most filter rings have some sort of markings. Mount filter on camera lens with same orientation. It's not super accurate but usually good enough.
Well that's WAY to practical and inexpensive! :banghead:

yatlee

Here is one I used for Leica. It's made by Kenko called CPL Vernier. The viewfinder is purchased separetly. As you rotate the viewfinder, you will see the marking rotate with it. I just follow the marking and rotate the CPL accordingly. I got them from Japan, but it could be avaliable in the States.

goesbang

Here is one I used for Leica. It's made by Kenko called CPL Vernier. The viewfinder is purchased separetly. As you rotate the viewfinder, you will see the marking rotate with it. I just follow the marking and rotate the CPL accordingly. I got them from Japan, but it could be avaliable in the States.
This is sounding a bit like a case of gadget-itis. I daresay 90% of people do what fotophil suggests.
If you are working fast and furious, as I sometimes do, just keep a second PL in your pocket, hold it up to your 100% organic, fully bio-degradable viewfinder, otherwise known as eyeball MK1, then transfer that rotation to the PL on your lens. Takes about 2 seconds, costs little (you can use a smaller filter) and allows you to spend time spent researching this "problem" taking pictures instead. You win on every front.

rhsu

I made one similar to the above. Use the same type of PL filter and marked both of them on the rim with ref# to coincide with one another of its polarisation.

The better one for the lens and the cheaper one for handheld viewing. The latter, I attached it to my ancient Hasselblad V-series quick focus ring or any clamp that will hold the filter, making sure the rotational grip is accessible.

I have used this for over 2 years and works very well.:)

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
Live view for the few, the proud, the poor ;)
I know that the quote is made in jest but to be honest the IQ live view isn't yet up to the task of accurate polarization visualization in my experience. I find that it's tough enough to use just for focusing! It's very light condition dependent.