The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

LR 3.5 support for Leaf 12

jps

Hello Everyone,
LR 3.5 release notes claim support for Leaf 12 backs - I can't detect anything different from previous version- yes you can still import uncompressed MOS file but it still has BETA profile and the colour temp is wonky.
Am I missing something?
JOHN

M

madmanchan

John and Graham, LR 3.5 only supports reading uncompressed MOS files from the Leaf 12 backs. (There are additional compressed formats the Leaf backs can write, but which LR does not read.) I am surprised that the beta profile is still there. When I open up my Leaf 12 files in LR 3.5, I see the choice "Embedded" in the Camera Profile section and the color temperature is normal (e.g., about 5300 K for a daylight image).

If you have a sample image that you can provide, I'd be happy to take a look.

Eric Chan
Camera Raw Engineer

Last edited:
G

Garcia

Actually you have to process Aptus 12 .mos file through Leaf Raw Converter to be able to read them with Lightroom. Yet you can choose ' Save compressed ( lossless ) ' option and they'll open flawlessly in LR. I think native .mos files hide some kind of secret sauce regarding individual back calibration and there will be a long time before LR can support them if ever.

Concerning camera calibration, I can see ' Matrix ' as profile. Not sure what does it mean. White balance seems to be nearly spot on.

G

Garcia

Well. After 5.23 firmware revision, profile is ' Embedded ' as Eric points out.

yaya

Just a note:

Any Leaf file that was either shoot tethered into Leaf Capture (compressed or not) or that was re-saved in Lesf Capture (compressed or not) can go straight into LR/ ACR

In addition, for those who do not use Leaf Capture, there's the Leaf Raw Converter, which does the thing Leaf Capture does, but without having to open the files

If I'm not mistaken "Embedded" means Adobe's own color Profile that is made for the specific camera type.

Yair

M

madmanchan

Thanks for clarifying the question about formats, Yair.

Regarding the profile named "Embedded", the profile data (color matrices, etc) are actually embedded into the raw file itself. That is, ACR and LR are simply reading the color data from the file (I.e., Adobe did not originally build these profiles).

G

Garcia

Regarding the profile named "Embedded", the profile data (color matrices, etc) are actually embedded into the raw file itself. That is, ACR and LR are simply reading the color data from the file (I.e., Adobe did not originally build these profiles).
So, you mean there is not Adobe DNG profiles in use with Leaf backs in LR and ACR , but embedded ICC profiles instead ?

M

madmanchan

Hi Garcia,

To clarify: the "Embedded" profiles are actually DNG color profiles, but they were not built by Adobe. (I assume they were built by Leaf, since they are embedded in the metadata of the raw file.) Hope this clears it up.

G

Garcia

Thanks Eric,

I'm now bit confused because I've never read anything about DNG profiles embedded neither in Leaf RAW files nor any other RAW format ( except DNG RAW files, of course ). Maybe Yair could enlighten us on that subject.

yaya

Thanks Eric,

I'm now bit confused because I've never read anything about DNG profiles embedded neither in Leaf RAW files nor any other RAW format
Neither did I...

Leaf Capture saves an ICC in put profile, made by Leaf, inside the .mos file and can also tag it with an output profile e.g. sRGB, this tag can be used by Leaf Capture as the default space when processing the file

Whether Adobe reads the Leaf ICC profile or not I cannot tell for sure but if you take the same mos file, save it once with e.g. LF3 Product 5 and then again with LF3 Portrait Warm; the look in Adobe will be the same in both cases and will be different than in Leaf Capture.

kuau

Workshop Member
so if I want to use lr3 for processing uncompressed .mos files from my aptus ii 7 I need to run them through leaf raw converter? Yet all, the setting I use on my leaf back, color profile, sharpening, etc will not carry over to LR3 like it doesn't in capture 1 either.

yaya

If you shot them uncompressed (on the back) they can go straight into LR/ ACR

LR/ ACR will read the WB and metadata

Capture One will read the WB, Input Profile, Develop Curve and metadata

Leaf Capture will read evertying inc. sharpening, flags, saturation, working space, crop and NR

kuau

Workshop Member
thanks for clarifying Yair,
is there any advantage to shooting uncompressed .mos or am I just taking up more space on my cf card.
steven

yaya

thanks for clarifying Yair,
is there any advantage to shooting uncompressed .mos or am I just taking up more space on my cf card.
steven
If your workflow is Adobe-based then you can go straight from the card into LR/ ACR, that's the only advantage

Yair