The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Phase One 645DF Mirror Lockup Problem

S

Shelby Lewis

I know this probably makes NO sense given the characterization of the above problems... but my Aptus-II 6 does funky things with certain cf cards... and I mean very strange. I can't see how it would be a card... but you never know.

This is NOT on a DF body, but I'm just bringing this up to make sure all possibilities have been thought about.

With Kingston 16GB CF cards, my back will function normally for a short while and then decide it doesn't know what to do any more, facilitating a battery pull, yada, yada... never a probelm with my sandisk cards.

Just one more variable to put at the end of the list if firmware updates don't solve this.

johnnygoesdigital

Shelby,
You're right about CF cards. They can certainly be a weak link in the chain. I've had 2 Lexar cards that had to be returned, but never an issue with a SanDisk Extreme.

Wayne Fox

Workshop Member
New firmware today, and had a couple of issues. However, my DF battery's turned out to be low, after replacing no more problems.

mrenters

I've also got the same problem with an IQ180 (latest firmware on back and 645DF). I find it hard to believe it is a battery issue because the camera will work fine for a long time after reseting everything. I also have an issue where in manual mode if I set the aperture to f/8 or so and I have the back button set to be the focusing button, it will occasionally reset the aperture to f/4.5 after focusing every once in a while. Happens with both a 28 and 75-150 lens.

Martin

johnnygoesdigital

I think Phase needs to introduce a new camera...design a better form factor, integrated battery grip, (like the H4D), but with more capture capability, weather sealing, and the ability to completely remove the FP shutter from the sequence. The posts here suggest more of a glitch, but perhaps a design flaw, that will no doubt resonate with photographers when making choices.

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
Well, I can absolutely confirm that the problem is still present with the current DF firmware 1.25, IQ firmware 1.47 and both mirror lock up with timer release AND cable release modes.

The feedback from Phase One folks really is that they are aware of the issues, they aren't yet still fixed but they are actively working on it. Not ideal but at least something seems to be happening ...

I was shooting in cold conditions, fresh batteries, very latest LS or D lenses this morning and had six or seven lock ups in 120 images if I recall correctly.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Lol I have a Arca guy 2 ft from me a Cambo guy 15 ft from me a Phase guy 10 ft from me a leaf guy 12 ft from me and Graham 10 ft from me and we all know about the issue and it IS being worked on so yes it still is happening. My folks this morning one guy was using self timer/ Mup and having problems. Several with release and Mup and maybe once. Bottom line there is a problem it's abritary and variable and it's known and being worked on. No one is denying it and it's a firmware issue. This stuff happens with every cam made in the industry. We are simply dealing with electronics and software. Unfortunately this stuff exists .

johnnygoesdigital

With all due respect, this hardly seems arbitrary. It's good to know that Phase is on it, but I can't find much info on the new DF camera. In comparing technology, what is different in terms of electronics other than the obvious, that affects MFD so much more than 35mm DSLR?

kdphotography

i was in the process to buy a DF, i'm afraid now... MLU is my way of shooting !
It seems that the issue effects some much more than others---for whatever reason. It's only happened to me one time---and that's it. (knock on wood) I do use MLU frequently. The DF has been very consistent and a good performer for me. But the few times that it may occur to others isn't comforting, as Graham noted, like Murphy's law, it happens at the most inopportune moments.

Personally, I'm convinced it is a power issue of some sort that triggers the glitch. In retrospect, having owned the original 645AF nearly ten years ago, the AFD, and Phase 645AF, if offered the choice of transitioning up to the Phase 645DF (in light of the MLU issue), I'd still do it in a heartbeat. It is a better camera in every respect over its predecessors, room for improvements noted.

ken

stephengilbert

"Arbitrary," as used here, means "existing or coming about seemingly at random or by chance." With all due respect, that seems exactly what it is. If it weren't arbirtary, it would have an identified cause, and would likely be fixed by now.

johnnygoesdigital

Stephen, IMO, this seems to be a pattern based on posts here and other forums. It would appear that the only "chance" aspect of this, is if the camera will work 100%

multigary

If this problem was "arbitrary" and purely based on chance, due to an undetected software glitch, I would expect it to affect all DF cameras somewhat equally. The fact that some users are having no or minimal problems, compared to others having the problem much more frequently, suggests to me that there is more going on than just a software problem appearing randomly. If user A and user B both have the same firmware, use the same fresh batteries, clean their contacts, use the same lens & back, etc etc -- yet one camera never locks up and the other locks up every 10 to 20 exposures, it seems to me that this statistical difference is meaningful and is a result of more than simple chance. Why would some cameras be affected much more so than others, if the same software glitch is present in all the cameras?
I hope I'm wrong, but I suspect that there is more at play here. And as a frustrated DF user with a high lock-up rate, I wish that the auto industry lemon law also applied to expensive cameras.

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
Overall it does tempt me to switch from the DF system in it's entirety and just shoot with a technical camera and another M9/D3s or D3x system instead. Sad but true, especially since I really really like the LS glass I've been shooting.

For what I mainly shoot the M9/Alpa pretty much covers everything with the exception of occasional wildlife.

Last edited:

johnnygoesdigital

Graham,
For a great pic, take the cog railroad up Mt. Washington. Or if you're bold, drive the auto road up, but don't look down when you have to pull over to let another car pass, no guardrails and 6000 feet up! Yikes! Enjoy your trip, I'm sure Phase will take care of your DF, just drive the rep up the auto road for some negotiating.

mesposito

I just got done shooting two weeks in the U.S Southwest, and I had the problem described here every other day. I'm using Mup w/cable release exclusively.

Called Doug Peterson and he is going to upgrade the body firmware as it is currently at 1.21. Of course I absolutely need this update. However, after reading this thread it seems like there may be more fixes to come. I was instructed to removed the battery pack and reinsert. I tried that, but since it doesn't happen all the time I'm not sure what difference that made.

At the end of the day, I was always able to resolve the issue, sometimes in seconds, and at the worst a minute or so.

Anyway, bring on the new body - one as well-thought out as the IQ series backs. (but still $5k right - let's not get carried away) :D

Mark

WWLEE

Just reporting back on my recent experience regarding this issue. I'd previously had quite a few instances of the mirror getting stuck in a lock-up position with the camera body being unresponsive. This happened first on my P65+ and more recently on my IQ180 / 645DF. At Guy's suggestion, I then switched from Eneloop batteries to Imedion 2400mAh batteries. I also upgraded my body and back firmware to the latest versions, which for the body is now v1.25 and for the back is v1.47. I then went to photograph Fall color in NY's Adirondacks.

Maybe it's just a coincidence, but 400+ photos later, all taken with timer and mirror lock-up, and I did not have the camera freeze up once. Fingers crossed, hopefully it stays "fixed" but maybe I just got lucky, and now I've probably jinxed myself!

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
You probably did . LOL

Well that is good news though and lets hope it holds . BTW I do like these batteries anyway so it is a good buy regardless.