The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

MF lens availability

Ben Rubinstein

Mate, I have never known what kind of system you use nor was I replying to you.

I would say that it would not be professional for the vast majority of professional photographers to use a system where you would have to wait months for a replacement lens and/or cannot rely on a rental system. There are many professionals who do not have deadlines but the vast majority do. This is nothing to do with how a profession works but rather the professionalism of their profession. I'd say exactly the same thing about pro photographers without off site backup of their files. Or proper backup when they go on a job. Many don't but it's hardly professional.

Just the opinion of one man though.

Last edited:

David Schneider

I would say that it would not be professional for the vast majority of professional photographers to use a system where you would have to wait months for a replacement lens and/or cannot rely on a rental system. There are many professionals who do not have deadlines but the vast majority do. This is nothing to do with how a profession works but rather the professionalism of their profession. I'd say exactly the same thing about pro photographers without off site backup of their files. Or proper backup when they go on a job. Many don't but it's hardly professional.
I agree entirely. Most of us who make a living from photography have deadlines. Back-up is critical and a system with just two lenses just isn't something I can rely on all the time. I might have my dslr system and capability of going 17mm-400mm with me as back-up, but that's not necessarily going to give me a duplication of what I'm there to capture and produce as a final product. I admit I don't have the financial resources to carry two mf bodies for my work, but at least I can carry four mf lenses with me and rely on their quality as current digital lenses.

aboudd

Well, I am glad to see my little opening statement started such a great discussion. For those who worry about buying the old 645 Pentax lenses for the D, I can only say my real world experience shows they are not lacking in any way. Now I don't get into the techno-geek aspect of lenses. i wouldn't know an MTF chart from a pie chart. I have accumulated seven lenses in the couple of months that I have had the camera and I have had no problems with the lenses resolving the sensor and little in the way of CA to deal with. By the way, I have had a similar experience with old Nikon AI glass on my D3s.