The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Mt. Nemrut's big heads, Turkey (with the 645DF & P65+)

vieri

Hello everyone,

I thought I'd share some images taken with the 645DF, the P65+ and various lenses on Mt. Nemrut, Turkey - the place, on the very top of a mountain, was built by King Anthiocus as his own mausoleum; the heads are what is left of the huge statues that the King had built (various Gods, himself, etc). The interesting thing is, they assume the King's grave is under that huge mound of small stones you can see as a background in some of the pictures, and is man-made, however the grave could never be found...

Anyway, here come the pics:

All photos taken with the Phase 645DF, P65+, 28mm, 55mm LS f2.8, 80mm LS f2.8, 150mm f2.8.

Some more form the South-East Turkey here and here.

Dan Santoso

Nice!! Can you recommend me some places to shoot high fashion over there?

I may be going to Turkey. I need places that easy to access, close to city, etc, for a magazine shoot.

THanks

Vieri,

Thanks for posting these! Inspiration to visit Turkey! Is Mt. Nemrut a tourist destination that's reasonably accessible, or is a significant hike involved to get to the site of your photos?

vieri

Nice - this is one of the places on my bucket list next time I'm in Turkey.
Thank you Graham! The place is a must, you don't want to miss the opportunity (before they will replace the heads with copies, which they will do to preserve them - though I don't see much need for that, after thousands of years out there, and being them very far from any man-made source of pollution)

Nice!! Can you recommend me some places to shoot high fashion over there?

I may be going to Turkey. I need places that easy to access, close to city, etc, for a magazine shoot.

THanks
Hey Dan, please PM me with some more details (which city you want to be, what time of the year, etc) and I will be glad to help :)

Vieri,

Thanks for posting these! Inspiration to visit Turkey! Is Mt. Nemrut a tourist destination that's reasonably accessible, or is a significant hike involved to get to the site of your photos?
Hey David, yes Mt. Nemrut is pretty easy to access - fly to Gaziantep and drive is the best option IMO; you'll have to stay in a village under the mountain top (beware, no fancy hotels there!), and from there you can drive very close to the actual monument; then it's a short but quite steep 15-20 min hike (for a healthy and reasonably athletic 40 y.o. carrying a Phase kit w/4 lenses & a Gitzo series 3 tripod with a Cube), or if you are lucky enough to find one you can rent a mule which will bring you up there (but not back down, usually!). Overall, I'd say it's a very comfortable location to reach unless you have some illness or other physical limitation of sorts. Be aware, on the top can be VERY cold even in the middle of summer, if you go at sunset or sunrise, and it's extremely windy in all season and at all times of the day.

Ben Rubinstein

Is there a head which is supposed to be that of Anthiocus and do you have a picture? I'd never heard of this place but as Anthiocus was the king behind the Hanukah story and an essential part of my Jewish history I'd be fascinated to see an approximation of what he looked like.

Mike M

Thanks Vieri

I used to live about 2 hours drive from there and seeing your pictures reminds me of those days.

vieri

Is there a head which is supposed to be that of Anthiocus and do you have a picture? I'd never heard of this place but as Anthiocus was the king behind the Hanukah story and an essential part of my Jewish history I'd be fascinated to see an approximation of what he looked like.
Ben, indeed there is - in the pics I posted here, Anthiocus' head is well visible in photos nr. 2/3 (is the one with the sail-shaped crown on his head); I am not sure how faithful a portrait might it be, though. I hope this helps! :)

Thanks Vieri

I used to live about 2 hours drive from there and seeing your pictures reminds me of those days.
Hey Mike, where did you live exactly? The whole area is full of beautiful things to see, you were lucky to be there :)