The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

New Sinar Hy6-65 Camera System (31 MPx) Announced

David K

Workshop Member
I'm told that the adapter plates are the same as those for the eMotion series... another bit of good news. The only downside I can see is for folks like me who have the e75LV, adapter plate, Rollei glass, and are thinking this could be a nice thing to own :) I could keep the e75LV on my Hy6, and my Contax 645 could live on this new back... or the other way round. The words Customer Loyalty Discount spring to mind :)

T

thsinar

hi Son,

No, we do not support the Contax 645 anymore: I know, it is a pity for some, but it is commercially not viable anymore.

Best regards,
Thierry

Thierry,
You mentioned other medium format cameras compatibility with the new back but will it also work with the Contax 645? I bet it would work since it is from Sinar.

Best Regards,
-Son

T

thsinar

David,

yes, the adapters are mechanically the same as the eMotion ones. But the software/firmware does not support anymore Contax 645 bodies (see my previous post).

In this case you would have to use your eMotion 75 on the Contax.

Best regards,
Thierry

I'm told that the adapter plates are the same as those for the eMotion series... another bit of good news. The only downside I can see is for folks like me who have the e75LV, adapter plate, Rollei glass, and are thinking this could be a nice thing to own :) I could keep the e75LV on my Hy6, and my Contax 645 could live on this new back... or the other way round. The words Customer Loyalty Discount spring to mind :)

Stuart Richardson

Thanks for posting this Thierry. It is great to see that Sinar listened to the constant criticisms about their screens. When you say 640x480, 280ppi what kind of visibility are we talking about? Is that like the D3, or is it better or worse? I am curious...also curious to see how this transitions into your other upcoming backs....

T

thsinar

Stuart,

I am kind of embarrassed to say it: I did not yet see a D3!
:eek:

But I have seen the Sinar eSprit display, and it is big, nice, sharp and contrasty: definitively a huge step forward.

Best regards,
Thierry

Thanks for posting this Thierry. It is great to see that Sinar listened to the constant criticisms about their screens. When you say 640x480, 280ppi what kind of visibility are we talking about? Is that like the D3, or is it better or worse? I am curious...also curious to see how this transitions into your other upcoming backs....

Stuart Richardson

Thanks Thierry, these are the D3 screen's specs:
3.0 " TFT LCD
• 922,000 pixels (VGA; 640 x 480 x 3 colors)
• 170° viewing angle
• Brightness adjustment

So I assume that they are similar if they are both VGA and 3 inches.

T

thsinar

Yes, it seems that they are similar.

Best regards,
Thierry

Thanks Thierry, these are the D3 screen's specs:
3.0 " TFT LCD
• 922,000 pixels (VGA; 640 x 480 x 3 colors)
• 170° viewing angle
• Brightness adjustment

So I assume that they are similar if they are both VGA and 3 inches.

BradleyGibson

Thierry & Sinar -

Great job on this!! I love the fact that the color scheme is 'calmer'... Thanks for listening, and thanks Graham!

I really, really love that I can get standard, self-contained raw files out of the back now--frankly, this is my #1 issue with the e75LV.

Lots of goodness here. I'm a little confused about the models--since I already have a Hy6, what difference would I notice with a "self-contained" s65 vs. owning an s65r on my current Hy6? (I understand the firmware is different--I am curious what the difference is to the photographer).

Again, nice job, and thank you for listening to your customers--I'm really impressed!
-Brad

T

thsinar

Hi Brad,

Thanks for the compliment.

I'll try to explain it:

1.Unless you need/want a second Hy6 body, in your case you would simply take a eSprit 65 with its adapter (revolving or not).

2.This would give you in addition to the integrated "Hy6-65" model:

- the Sinar RAWs (.IA & .BR)
- the revolving possibility (not possible with integrated Hy6-65
- the possibility to adapt/mount the back on another camera (H1/H2, V, Mamiya 645 AFD & 645 AFD II, Sinar m)
- the live video (n.a. with the Hy6-65)

Best regards,
Thierry

Thierry & Sinar -

Great job on this!! I love the fact that the color scheme is 'calmer'... Thanks for listening, and thanks Graham!

I really, really love that I can get standard, self-contained raw files out of the back now--frankly, this is my #1 issue with the e75LV.

Lots of goodness here. I'm a little confused about the models--since I already have a Hy6, what difference would I notice with a "self-contained" s65 vs. owning an s65r on my current Hy6? (I understand the firmware is different--I am curious what the difference is to the photographer).

Again, nice job, and thank you for listening to your customers--I'm really impressed!
-Brad

T

thsinar

Some more information as it comes in:

Supported image parameter from the menu:

- Contrast
- Saturation
- Unsharp mask
- Noise filter
- Automatic white balance / color temperature
- 3 color spaces (sRGB, Adobe RGB and ECI RGB)

Best regards,
Thierry

PeterA

Congratulations Thierry &Sinar - the new camera back and screen looks very cool. I also like the fact that the camera can deliver RAW Or DNG file output - very big step forward IMHO. The color scheme matching lifts the look of the camera as well. Well done.

T

thsinar

Thanks Peter, much appreciated.

Best regards,
Thierry

Congratulations Thierry &Sinar - the new camera back and screen looks very cool. I also like the fact that the camera can deliver RAW Or DNG file output - very big step forward IMHO. The color scheme matching lifts the look of the camera as well. Well done.

S

Samuel Axelsson

Hi Thierry,
The new camera looks awesome, and the specs are for sure a step forward and in the right direction. Very exciting announcement compared with Hassy, Leaf and Phase.

The only thing a dislike is the separation of revolving and non revolving backs. If there's anything sinar clearly have in advantage against leaf is exactly the revolving back. That should be a standar in the Sinar lineup.

Anyway, loking forward to test this system sometime. It's a natural step for a 503 user...

T

thsinar

Thanks Samuel!

Yes, the feedback is very good, from all sides. And I am not the last one being pleased by this direction.

Concerning the "revolving" adapter: yes, it is a Sinar advantage, definitively. But there are people who do not want it, respectively are not ready to pay that extra money for it (though it is not that much), respectively it makes the "Sinar Hy6 - 65" cheaper.
Therefore we would like to leave the choice to the enduser, not force him.

Best regards,
Thierry

Hi Thierry,
The new camera looks awesome, and the specs are for sure a step forward and in the right direction. Very exciting announcement compared with Hassy, Leaf and Phase.

The only thing a dislike is the separation of revolving and non revolving backs. If there's anything sinar clearly have in advantage against leaf is exactly the revolving back. That should be a standar in the Sinar lineup.

Anyway, loking forward to test this system sometime. It's a natural step for a 503 user...

Stuart Richardson

"Concerning the "revolving" adapter: yes, it is a Sinar advantage, definitively. But there are people who do not want it, respectively are not ready to pay that extra money for it (though it is not that much), respectively it makes the "Sinar Hy6 - 65" cheaper."

Not that much is a relative term. I would have bought the revolving back, but I was quoted its price as being 2500 dollars. Since the 54LV I found was 10,000 (used), 25% more to the cost was not a trivial amount, and certainly not worth it just to rotate the back, which you can do rather easily just by detaching it and reattaching it in a matter of seconds. I think Sinar made a good decision here. Let the consumer decide if it is worth it to them. For people who shoot mostly in the studio or mostly landscapes and tend to stay in one orientation, the ability to rotate it is not necessarily worth the high cost. For others who go from landscape to portrait orientation frequently, then they can spend the extra money for it without reservation.

T

thsinar

hi Stuart,

yes, admitted: "not that much" is a relative word!

One has also to keep in mind, that it is not just 2 pieces of metal revolving around each other. There are some complicated contacts inside, to communicate the information from the Hy6. And that makes it being this price.

But you are exactly the reason/example, Stuart, why we have decided to let the choice to the customer.

Best regards,
Thierry

"Concerning the "revolving" adapter: yes, it is a Sinar advantage, definitively. But there are people who do not want it, respectively are not ready to pay that extra money for it (though it is not that much), respectively it makes the "Sinar Hy6 - 65" cheaper."

Not that much is a relative term. I would have bought the revolving back, but I was quoted its price as being 2500 dollars. Since the 54LV I found was 10,000 (used), 25% more to the cost was not a trivial amount, and certainly not worth it just to rotate the back, which you can do rather easily just by detaching it and reattaching it in a matter of seconds. I think Sinar made a good decision here. Let the consumer decide if it is worth it to them. For people who shoot mostly in the studio or mostly landscapes and tend to stay in one orientation, the ability to rotate it is not necessarily worth the high cost. For others who go from landscape to portrait orientation frequently, then they can spend the extra money for it without reservation.

A

apneaimages

One think that i was really wishing that Sinar had a Body, Lens, Filmback kit in a atractive price as they have Mamiya or Hasselblad. There are many that like to make the jumb to Mformat and before they go with a Digi Back they like to play with film for some time. For Sinar it would be a great deal to get in customers. For me it would be even a better if i could take a sinar underwater and finaly shoot MF and before i inenst to expensive custom build housings and Digi backs i could make the jump to Film to checking the posabilities i have.

PSon

Thierry,
Will all new digital back no longer support the Contax 645 system? Also I forgot to ask if the new back will support the Rollei 6008 cameras? I hope that Sinar will re-consider supporting the Contax 645 and Rollei 6008 systems for photographers who are on the budget or multi system users. A complete Contax 645 and Rollei 6008 cameras would cost less and thus allow them to put the funding toward the digital back. The new concept of having an affordable digital solution is now equalized to the whole Sinar Hy6 system. One of the main reason why I choose Sinar back is the ability to put the digital back on all the systems that I use. Perhaps in my case will represent unique but I initially found Sinar to be unique in their support of photographer such as the Sinar m system. I also believe that there are other photographers who cannot own all the new and latest technology but can afford a hybrid system.

-Son

Thanks,
-Son

Last edited:
T

thsinar

Dear Lambis,

We do have such a camera, with film magazine, and all the lenses, non-AF, AF, AFD, totally more than 45, as well as many other accessories for such a film camera (almost all the Rolleiflex 6008 accessories can be used):

this camera is the Sinar Hy6.

This camera has its price, at the same level as any other identical (feature-wise) MF camera.

Concerning prices of MF cameras: you have to be aware that they are almost sold with very little margins. Reducing the price more is almost impossible.

Best regards,
Thierry

One think that i was really wishing that Sinar had a Body, Lens, Filmback kit in a atractive price as they have Mamiya or Hasselblad. There are many that like to make the jumb to Mformat and before they go with a Digi Back they like to play with film for some time. For Sinar it would be a great deal to get in customers. For me it would be even a better if i could take a sinar underwater and finaly shoot MF and before i inenst to expensive custom build housings and Digi backs i could make the jump to Film to checking the posabilities i have.