The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

NH Workshop - New IR Digital Back Unveiled and Quickly Sold

Hope everyone is relaxing over the long weekend. We have just wrapped up the Capture Integration Master Series Fall workshop in NH. What a great time. The weather was beautiful. There was so much information and experience present including MF gear and manufacturers that the participants could settle into applying their new techniques and gear with confidence. I'm sure the forum's readers will be seeing nice new images from those that attended throughout the next few weeks.

Leaf has partnered with Dave Gallagher to introduce the first ever IR MF Digital Back that has the unique ability to shoot in BOTH full (regular) color or IR at the quick switch of a filter and white balance. A true 'tour de force' on a technical camera. Amazing images that I will try to post shortly. This first back that Leaf brought to the event is an Aptus II 33 mp. One attendee gravitated to the back during our testing and arranged to purchase it on the spot - he was so impressed with the flexibility and quality of the large files. I've been told that this conversion can be performed in the US on existing leaf backs or purchased as an option on new backs (read that more mp) for sale. I'm not sure anyone especially landscape photographers would opt out on this one given the option. Great stuff. Give Dave or Doug Peterson a call if you are interested in more specifics. The new owner has some mad skills and I'm sure you will see his work with the back.

Jack and Guy were a joy to work with and they really make learning technical items easy and painless to improve your work. I learned a lot from the other instructors and all of the attendees. Now back to work shooting a new airport terminal, an NBA/NHL arena and a couple of shopping malls. Maybe I should do them in IR as well... :rolleyes:

Robb Williamson
www.williamsonimages.com

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Looks great Rob it was a pretty nice back with some great looks to it. Well on cruise ship and Internet is limited here in sunny Bermuda. So just wanted to poke in and say howdy. Okay back to work for me shooting model and talent show.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
:ROTFL: Yes Yair, we need to update the forum software to get the social networking buttons added -- and will soon for sure. Just want to add, it was great meeting the Leaf management folk, and was equally great seeing the "full spectrum" back in operation!

S

Shelby Lewis

Any word on what this mod will cost? :eek:

Can you confirm again that existing backs will be able to be upgraded? I LOVE my Aptus II 6... the thought of a future non-destructive IR conversion is really compelling.

Cool!

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Shelby,

Yes, Leaf management confirmed that existing backs can be modified (for a fee) as well as ordered new (limited added charges) with the "clear" sensor glass cover. Moreover, this conversion is 100% reversible, so in the event you want to return your back to direct full color capture, they can do so (again, a labor/parts fee applies).

Note too, that Phase will similarly convert a P back for the same use (for a labor/parts fee) and can equally undo the conversion at some future date if you desire (also for a fee).

Keep in mind these conversions still have the Bayer filter in place, so are "full spectrum" COLOR images. So you use filtration over the lens to pass the wavelength(s) you want to pass. Normally this filtration will be one of the following: full IR or monochrome (lower red spectrum only) for IR only imaging; heavy to light IR which passes varying degrees of visible color (some green or more green and some blue) for "false color" IR capture; IR and UV cut for normal color imaging; and lastly UV (upper blue spectrum only) for special application UV imaging.

The coolest things about these conversions is with your on-site zoom review (any back) you can confirm 100% focus since IR (and UV) do NOT focus at the same plane even in APO lenses. This allows for an almost endless variety for creative IR/Full Color blending options b capturing two or more spectrum frames of the same subject with excellent post registration possible.

* Note that the P45+ monochrome back is a different sensor with NO Bayer filter, so is full spectrum monochrome capture only. One can theoretically capture three frames with a Red, Green and Blue primary filter, then combine those three images for a true color image, but the workflow/registration issues are a total PITA. About the only serious application where this particular workflow makes sense to me is deep space imaging.

fotophil

The Mamyia ZD back features an user removable IR absorption filter. Several years ago I had an optics shop back East fabricate a replacement clear glass filter with the correct thickness so I could shoot IR by filtering the lens with an IR transmission filter like a 89b or color by filtering the lens with a cyan CC! Filter. I made a second clear filter for the folks at MAC Group who sent it on to Japan for evaluation. I guess they liked it because it Mamiya started selling a similar filter.

yaya

Shelby,

Yes, Leaf management confirmed that existing backs can be modified (for a fee) as well as ordered new (limited added charges) with the "clear" sensor glass cover. Moreover, this conversion is 100% reversible, so in the event you want to return your back to direct full color capture, they can do so (again, a labor/parts fee applies).

Note too, that Phase will similarly convert a P back for the same use (for a labor/parts fee) and can equally undo the conversion at some future date if you desire (also for a fee).

Keep in mind these conversions still have the Bayer filter in place, so are "full spectrum" COLOR images. So you use filtration over the lens to pass the wavelength(s) you want to pass. Normally this filtration will be one of the following: full IR or monochrome (lower red spectrum only) for IR only imaging; heavy to light IR which passes varying degrees of visible color (some green or more green and some blue) for "false color" IR capture; IR and UV cut for normal color imaging; and lastly UV (upper blue spectrum only) for special application UV imaging.

The coolest things about these conversions is with your on-site zoom review (any back) you can confirm 100% focus since IR (and UV) do NOT focus at the same plane even in APO lenses. This allows for an almost endless variety for creative IR/Full Color blending options b capturing two or more spectrum frames of the same subject with excellent post registration possible.

* Note that the P45+ monochrome back is a different sensor with NO Bayer filter, so is full spectrum monochrome capture only. One can theoretically capture three frames with a Red, Green and Blue primary filter, then combine those three images for a true color image, but the workflow/registration issues are a total PITA. About the only serious application where this particular workflow makes sense to me is deep space imaging.
Jeck when you were young (and when I was even younger :salute:) Leaf already had a monochrome chip with an RGB filter wheel (AKA Sinarcam 1) which was used for anything that sits still

Registration was controlled in software and the 6MP Volare is still considered as a benchmark for colour reproduction and is still being used by some of the top auction houses in the world...oh yeah and it does away with moire completely!!!!!

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
:ROTFL: Yes, I do remember them well Yair LOLOL! We need an adapter for the original mechanical version of that wheel (not the later, improved motorized one!) in the current backs -- how cool would that be? Another added benefit was the file was really more like that from say a 9MP Bayer back as it was "true" color and no losses from the Bayer interpolation. Times have changed :)

cmb_

Subscriber & Workshop Member
Many thanks to Capture Integration and Leaf (especially Ziv Argov) for having this back ready and available for us to use on the workshop. Here are a couple of images shot with the SK 47mm on an Alpa 12 SWA with the Leaf IR back. And many many thanks to Doug Peterson for solving all the technical issues and making shooting with the back seamless.

ustein

Contributing Editor
Many thanks to Capture Integration and Leaf (especially Ziv Argov) for having this back ready and available for us to use on the workshop. Here are a couple of images shot with the SK 47mm on an Alpa 12 SWA with the Leaf IR back. And many many thanks to Doug Peterson for solving all the technical issues and making shooting with the back seamless.

Lovely IR.

Steve Hendrix

BTW - The attendee who bought the Leaf Aptus-II 33IR also had 2 other cameras that were IR modified with him, including a Sony NEX-3. Needless to say, this man was extremely passionate about IR and he now has an amazing IR solution to play with! He paired it with a Titanium Anniversary Edition Cambo WRS and took both home with him.

Steve Hendrix

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
This is superb.

As I hiked up the learning curve of this IR back I found the processing of the files required some slightly different techniques than normal. The noise in the top left of this image is something I ran into early on that was initially worrisome. I don't have this specific raw file, but I have many similar files and with some changes to the handling of the file this noise should not be present.

C1's defaults were made to handle standard color images and need to be tweaked when processing these IR images. I was shocked at just how clean the files were once the process settings were tweaked.

If you'd like to send me the raw file I'll send it back to you as an EIP with some suggested modifications to the processing settings.

Doug Peterson (e-mail Me)

Head of Technical Services, Capture Integration
Phase One Partner of the Year
Leaf, Leica, Cambo, Arca Swiss, Canon, Apple, Profoto, Broncolor, Eizo & More

National: 877.217.9870 *| *Cell: 740.707.2183
Newsletter | RSS Feed
Buy Capture One 6 at 10% off

Masters Series Workshop:
New England Landscape - Fall Color (Oct 5-8)

Steve Hendrix

To clarify the sales issues -

The only digital backs than can be ordered as IR digital backs are:

Leaf Aptus-II 33IR - $16,990

Leaf Aptus-II 22IR - $9,990

These can be ordered through Capture Integration and delivered in about 4-5 days. The purchase of these units comes with CI instruction on IR photography, in general and using the above IR systems with regard to capture, focus, composition, which filters to use, and how to process the images.

In addition, if you have an existing Leaf 22MP or 33MP digital back, you can order this same IR modification through Capture Integration for $2,500. Turnaround is generally in the 2 week range. The following listed units cover the range of 22MP/33MP legacy and current Leaf models that are eligible:

22 Megapixel Legacy & Current Models:
Aptus 22
Aptus 54-S
Aptus-II 5
Aptus-II 22
DL-22
DM-22

33 Megapixel Legacy & Current Models:
Aptus 75
Aptus 75-S
Aptus-II 7
Aptus-II 33
DL-33
DM-33

Orders can be placed starting......now!

Steve Hendrix

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Steve,

Thanks for posting that! While you're at it, can you also post the costs to convert legacy and existing P backs to full spectrum, and approximate turn-around times?

aeaemd

I had the pleasure of buying the first IR back and I am enjoying it. I am on my way to Vegas and I will post pics soon.
I converted three camera to IR in the past, the sharpness of the leaf back and the ability to shoot IR and leaf-quality color using the same back are major advantages. It makes the case for making all the backs should have the option of switching from IR to color.
I commend Doug and Dave for R&D.