The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Back-up Flash for MF & DSLR

David Schneider

It seems I've run out of room in my camera bag! It's generally filled with Hasselblad H3Dii and 2-3 lenses and a Canon 5dmk2 and 3-4 lenses depending on where I'm going. I'm looking for a back-up shoe mounted flash that can back-up both my Metz 76M and Canon 550ex. A few weeks ago I kicked over a tripod and my second 500ex smashed into the sidewalk so without a back-up.

Since space is important, I'm thinking picking up either a trusty Vivitar 285HV or Lumopro 160, just simple manual flashes. Should work for mf and dslr. The Vivitar is fairly slow on recharging, doesn't have a swivel base. Lumopro is less of a known commodity, but has a few more features.

If anyone has another option or possibility on simple shoe-mounted strobe for both, I'd welcome the suggestion.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Viv 285 is certainly a great option. I have a couple of Metz 54MZ3's with various modules and the plain hot foot, so I can use them on anything in A mode, and then have at least some TTL functionality as well with the dedicated feet. The 54 is about the same power as the 285; don't recall recycle times on the 285, but the 54 takes about 6 sec for a recharge on full.

David Schneider

I have a 20 yr old Vivtar 285 (non-HV) that I still use sometimes for off camera flash. Old ones were built like tanks, but also have sync voltage that can fry potatoes so I just use it as a remote now. On full power, I think recharge is 4-6 seconds.

BANKER1

My experience is with the Metz 54MZ4i. It is pretty compact and lightweight. I have used it on my H3D22 and H4D60 with a Hasselblad SCA3902 interface adapter. It works great on TTL as well as Auto. Once I was shooting from shade into a sunny background. It was a scorcher of a day, and the bride was melting which meant I had no time to think or set up. So I just set it to TTL, and every exposure was perfect. My hope was to have at least one keeper! The bride was very happy with what we were able to accomplish in such a short time.

Greg

David Schneider

My small issue with the Metz is I don't want to carry around a second interface adapter. I do have the SCA3902, but I'd need separate adapter for the 5Dmk2

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
The adapter feet are small, but my point above was that the A mode is excellent, and in most cases as good as TTL...

SergeiR

why go with bulky vivitar if you can get same umph from YN flashes?

And as added bonus - built-in slave, so you can make more complex setups with flashes, if have to.

Granted - no TTL, but on most occasions you dont really need it anyway

David Schneider

Sergei,

I forgot about YN flashes. I looked at them briefly some time ago and I think there was so much about how they look like Canon, smell like Canon, taste like Canon I forgot they are just a manual flash and as such should work on any camera.

David Schneider

Sergei,

I bought a YN 565ex. Off camera TTL with Canon, good optical slave, can use it as manual flash on both dslr and mf. $149.99 and for another $4.00, got a Stofen like diffuser for it. More than the 560 straight manual, but a nice back-up option for the money.

I search through some old draws and found another Vivtar 285HV and both appear to work within the 6V flash trigger. Might use them more out of the studio

Last edited:

stngoldberg

I use a Quantum T-5dr-Throws an enormous amount of light-comes with a cable compatible with a Hasselblad-comes with a rechargeable battery that gits on your belt and endures for over 300 shots-is automatic or TLL or manual-worth carrying another bag because it is all about the image

Stanley