The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Same Old Question!! What do I get??? Please Help

fotografz

A breakdown IMO:

SHOOTING STYLE -

Product (table and on location):
Leaf Shutter cameras are traditionally used here ... including view camera lenses. In ambient lit locations stop action pours, food steam, etc., is much easier to capture.

Studio Hot Lights are usually HMIs like the Dedolite system ... which some Multi-Shot photographers I know use. 3000 w/s of true Hot Lights have to be experienced to learn why few use them. I've been on maybe 100 contracted photo shoots in recent years, and not one used hot lights ... except a couple using HMIs which are much cooler running.

Auto & Marine (fast action):
A vast majority of Pros I know use DSLRs for this type work for the superior continuous AF, 1/8000th shutter, and selection of long, fast aperture glass. If a MFD were to be used with something like a 350mm the AF is sloooooow ... but this application would definitely favor the Focal Plane MFD.

Fashion (fast action/location):
Either shutter type can work here ... if strobes are used then the up to 1/800th sync of the H3D-II/31 definitely has the advantage with ambient location action shots ... both tend to work for studio action because of the light level control and short strobe duration ...

Portrait (location):
Either works ... I like Focal Plane shutter when using just ambient light ... and Leaf Shutter for flash so I can balance ambient and fill while using a larger aperture.

Architectural:
Either works.

Resort:
Either works for most shots ... Resort Action/Beach favors the 35mm DSLR again with 1/8000th.

70% location, 30% studio:
My experience with the photographers I've hired has been that many use both. However, the Focal Plane camera tends to be a DSLR like a 1DsMKIII more often than a Focal Plane MFD.

SHOOT NOTES-
I do handhold allot. dusk & dawn available light "
Either works here.

... as well as allot of daylight strobes.
Leaf Shutter has the upper hand here.

Horses for courses.

My personal solution is a leaf Shutter MFD, and a high end DSLR for the focal plane stuff ... but wouldn't mind a supplemental H Focal Plane camera ;)

Graham Mitchell

Auto & Marine (fast action):
A vast majority of Pros I know use DSLRs for this type work for the superior continuous AF, 1/8000th shutter, and selection of long, fast aperture glass. If a MFD were to be used with something like a 350mm the AF is sloooooow ... but this application would definitely favor the Focal Plane MFD.
Most of the high quality auto shots I've seen have been long exposure, with the car moving very slowly, like this:

It wouldn't look right to have wheels without blur.

fotografz

Most of the high quality auto shots I've seen have been long exposure, with the car moving very slowly, like this:

It wouldn't look right to have wheels without blur.
Well, the question is ... what kind of "action" car and boat shots is Prio shooting?

If it's motor sports or boat racing I don't think it'll be shot like that sample.

Out of curiosity, I wonder how that shot was done?

You say the car was moving slowly ... but the exif data says it was a 5.7 second exposure using an Aptus 75 @ ISO 50 using a 35mm at f/23. Yet the car itself is pretty crisp with zero motion blur.

Looks like some sort of motion control rig, or a camera car traveling with the Porche and an overhead strobe bank was fired

For all we know, it could be a strip job.

fotografz

It was taken with a 7m long rig attached to the car, and later retouched out. The engine was not running, to reduce vibration. The car was rolling slowly.
Thanks, I knew it had to be something tracking with the car ... interesting.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Must of set up a bank of continuous light to run through. Looks like they just pushed the car and hit a remote shutter. Repeat 20 times until they got it

F

fielddominance

Thanks for the detailed breakdown!!!

Yes, I attach a rig to the car... then I paint/roto it out. I also do it with boats so that the pilot and the models are tracked while the BG blurs.

The house I rent from also has a glass rig!! I have never used it but it is solid glass. CRAZY!!!