The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

LCC plates

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
So I decided to try a few different materials in the search for an "ideal LCC plate. I won't bore you with all of the details, but will share a few things I discovered.

First off, the Capture Integration "2-stop" plate works extremely well, and I used it as my gold standard benchmark. I experimented with denser and less dense, or more accurately less transmissive and more transmissive materials.

What I learned is it didn't really matter much as long as you have a reasonably centered histogram on the capture file, the material has enough diffusion to give a smooth gradient to work with, and of course that it is neutral in color. Some specifics:

1) A denser material called "sign white" in 1/8th" thickness was a very clean white but required a 3-stop correction. While it worked very well, it did raise the noise floor on long exposures. I never noted that the noise corrupted an LCC, but it's a PITA to add 3-stops for the LCC when you're already shooting say a 1 second early morning landscape exposure. (In fact, I realized it's a PITA to have to change the exposure at all.) This material is also available in 1/16th inch, but it still required a near 3-stop correction factor, so not really any help.

2) I tried a 60% transmissive 1/8th" mild diffusion plexi that did NOT generate a good LCC. It did not require any exposure correction, histo was centered at base exposure, but it generated an LCC that over-correctied for lighting falloff by about 1/3rd stop. Not exactly sure why, but it did, and so the LCC was not accurate. The zero exposure offset was certainly welcome in the workflow, but since it didn't work perfectly it got tossed.

3) The material I settled on is called 40% transmissive "standard diffusion" plexi, again I used the 1/8th" thickness. This material has a nominal 1-stop offset, but the reality is the histo is so close to centered that you don't need to actually add the offset -- very convenient when shooting! This generated an identical LCC to the CI plate.

4) The other thing I experimented with was buffing to knock the gloss off so the surface was not reflective. Good news is it does kill reflections and generates an identical LCC to either my or CI's glossy plate. I have had a few issues when my CI plate was not firmly against the lens and the LCC had a weird reflection in it that ruined the LCC, so I decided this might help. My hope is this mitigates that problem and initial tests seem to confirm it will. I used a "green" Scotch-Bright synthetic steel wool pad to buff down the surface of the plate. (Note you can buy the 3-stop sign white material in matte surface, but I had already ruled out 3-stop material as unfriendly to my workflow.)

The only reason I started this search is the CI plate was not quite large enough to fit over my compendium hood and I was looking for a possibly easier workflow when using my tech cam with the hood than having to spin the hood out of the way. My larger plates worked great with the hood, but then I got another idea -- I modified the edges of one plate to slide into the filter slot of my compendium hood. For me this is an attractive convenience, and so far in use I like the hands-free bit ;)

I obtained all of my material from a local TAP plastics store, but you can of course order online from them or probably find it in any well stocked home supply store.

archivue

hi,
i'm not shure if it's a good idea to use it in front of the compendium... closer it is to the lens better it will be...

i've tried different solutions as well... i used to have the big one sold by phase, but i've lost during a trip !
it was good, big too big for my use !

i've tried the plate sold by capture integration... quite good as well !

But, i've found that the best LCC i have ever produced was using an expodisc neutral filter... but it's 3 stops... i've bought one with the diameter of my larger lens (67mm), and put step up rings on the others... on the 35xl the step up ring act as a sun shade as well !

If you are using a CF, then you will need a bigger one !

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Just to be clear, I avoided the Expo-disk once I determined that a 3-stop correction was more than I wanted to deal with, and frankly even making the 2-stop correction was kind of a PITA. So my goal was then to find a plate that did not require any compensation and still rendered a perfect LCC. I did find that, and why I shared it here :)

jotloob

Subscriber Member
I have this EXPO filter and find it quite useful , especially the handle . Unfortunately the short side is too small and does not cover the front diameter of all my lenses .
That filter should be a square with its current long side as side a/b of the square .

I now use a rather dense milky acryl glas square , 2mm thick and 20x20cm
in size . Both surfaces are matte . An exposure time of + 2 stops results in a histogram , exactly as it should be and the LCC is perfect .

jotloob

Subscriber Member
I have this EXPO filter and find it quite useful , especially the handle . Unfortunately the short side is too small and does not cover the front diameter of all my lenses .
That filter should be a square with its current long side as side a/b of the square .

I now use a rather dense milky acryl glas square , 2mm thick and 20x20cm
in size . Both surfaces are matte . An exposure time of + 2 stops results in a histogram , exactly as it should be and the LCC is perfect .

coulombic

Just to be clear, I avoided the Expo-disk once I determined that a 3-stop correction was more than I wanted to deal with, and frankly even making the 2-stop correction was kind of a PITA. So my goal was then to find a plate that did not require any compensation and still rendered a perfect LCC. I did find that, and why I shared it here :)
I've found stacked sheets of vellum paper to be pretty effective for the creation of LCCs for over-sized lenses. I don't recall, exactly, how many sheets I used, but the benefit is that it's cheap, easy to experiment with, and easy to replace if it's damaged/lost. Depending on how many sheets used, naturally, it also does not impart too much neutral density.

cs750

I recently noted some odd scratches on my LCC card (the one requiring 3 stop exposure); I am not sure how those scratches took place since I have been reasonably protective of the card. When exposing enough to get the desired placement in the histogram some of the scratches and spots on the card actually appeared in the LCC image. I checked my sensor to be sure what I was seeing was not on the sensor and the sensor was quite clean. When I examined the LCC card I found the same patterns that appeared on my LCC image on the card itself. It would seem to me that a three stop exposure might have greater likelihood of revealing defects on the card. More importantly, I have started keeping my LCC card in a protected filter container. It may seem a bit over the top, but the plastic container that the CI LCC card comes in creates some problems trying to get the card out and does not adequately protect the Card. In the future I plan to protect the LCC card as if it were an expensive filter! Charles

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Charles,

Scratches are another reason I buffed the surface -- it seems to work and may be worth a try. However, I have abandoned my 3-stop plate after New Hampshire and moved to this newer material. FWIW I store mine in a slot I made in my bag between two adjacent padded dividers.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
I wonder if scratches would have a effect here since it is so out of focus. I could see maybe a deep gouge in the surface might have some. It's a great question mark it seems. I do like the idea of buffing the surface though which may disperse the light better and cut reflections. I think I may try that and see how it goes.

Maybe a 600 grit sand paper might work nice. Jack what did you use.

alan_w_george

Just curious, I don't really understand the objectionable difference from a workflow perspective between a 3, 2, or 1 stop LCC. Almost 50% of my exposures are LCCs. I use the ExpoDisc thing and have never thought twice about it.

Last edited:

PeterL

3) The material I settled on is called 40% transmissive "standard diffusion" plexi, again I used the 1/8th" thickness. This material has a nominal 1-stop offset, but the reality is the histo is so close to centered that you don't need to actually add the offset -- very convenient when shooting! This generated an identical LCC to the CI plate.
Jack, I went to the TAP plastics website (http://www.tapplastics.com), but I can't seem to find the material you're talking about. It's probably me being dense :( . Maybe you could provide a link? Many thanks.

Cheers, -Peter

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Just curious, I don't really understand the objectionable difference from a workflow perspective between a 3, 2, or 1 stop LCC. Almost 50% of my exposures are LCCs. I use the ExpoDisc thing and have never thought twice about it.
Alan, it's simple -- I am lazy and don't want to have to change the exposure for the LCC! :). In my capture workflow, I compose, tweak, wait for the light and make my capture, then shoot my LCC's after my main capture but before moving on to my next image. In a studio environment with flash, it can be tricky to try and add exposure without changing aperture, so having a plate that requires no exposure adjustment is a benefit as it simplifies my workflow.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Jack, I went to the TAP plastics website (http://www.tapplastics.com), but I can't seem to find the material you're talking about. It's probably me being dense :( . Maybe you could provide a link? Many thanks.

Cheers, -Peter
Peter,

You might have to call them and specify the 40% transmittance "translucent" 1/8th Acrylite. It might be what they're calling "Lighting Sign White" on the site, but I'm not sure -- my local store specifically referred to it as 40% transmittance white acrylic. If you click on the physical properties link on this page and scroll down, you'll find its specs: http://www.tapplastics.com/shop/product.php?pid=340&