The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

MF Envy - what's your experience

mesposito

I'm knew on MF, so I don't post very often. I like to make sure I know what I'm saying first. :rolleyes:

Anyway, no technical discussion here.

I had a great time shooting with my Phase One Body/P65+ in the Southwest U.S. for the last couple of weeks.

Having moved to Phase One (with help from Guy and Capture Integration) from Nikon in May, I'm really having a blast with the setup - P65+, 45mm, 80mm kit, 150mm, 300mm - and even more with the results. I didn't find the transition difficult at all, but maybe that's because I do Landscape Photography, and I take my time. My only stress is catching the light before it's gone. (ok, and when the shutter stuck - but that was fixable) :D

Anyway, I was taken back a bit when a Photographer (standing near me at sunrise one morning) asked me the following question:

"That's a nice camera - Is that a Digital back?"
"Are you a Professional?"

First, I am always nice to people in public, although at sunrise I want to work on my art, and not chat gear. So, I just smiled and answered "Yes, it's a digital back. .... and I do my best" and turned back to doing my thing. Really, it was just before sunrise. I wasn't about to start a discussion on my professional career and career changes.

Ten minutes later this guy says to me "You didn't answer my question. So you're either a professional or you just have a lot of money!"

I really didn't know how to respond to that. I know arrogance runs rampant on the Internet but gosh, I thought I could get away from this out in no-man's land. I don't know if I was reading too much into his questioning, but it sure sounded like he was figuring out whether or not I "deserved" this pricey setup.

I did speak with a couple of other photographers during the trip that were very nice. This one just baffled me. When the sunrise was done I actually did speak with him a bit.

So my question: Was the the norm or the exception? I'm very excited about the gear, but I don't want to talk gear while I'm out there working. After it's all over, let's talk gear. No problem.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

Shashin

You are right that the majority of folks that question your professionalism based on your gear is on the net, but I have had a really snotty comment once in Japan and once in the States. In both cases, it was from an American. Just thank them for their interest and get on with what I am doing. I don't have to justify the shoes I am wearing, why do I need to do it for my camera? If they don't have the civility thing down by now, I doubt I can help them.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
I get asked theses questions almost daily. Depends on how they ask equates to the response . Usually it is I am a working Pro and leave it at that and they seem to have no response back. Kind of funny sometimes

mesposito

I get asked theses questions almost daily. Depends on how they ask equates to the response . Usually it is I am a working Pro and leave it at that and they seem to have no response back. Kind of funny sometimes
Yikes! That's pretty bad. I guess you've learned to put up with it. Sounds like you have some stories though. :^}

I wasn't mean to the guy. I just didn't feel the need to be sized up by him.

mesposito

You are right that the majority of folks that question your professionalism based on your gear is on the net, but I have had a really snotty comment once in Japan and once in the States. In both cases, it was from an American. Just thank them for their interest and get on with what I am doing. I don't have to justify the shoes I am wearing, why do I need to do it for my camera? If they don't have the civility thing down by now, I doubt I can help them.
Thanks Shashin. That's exactly the way I felt. I never got this when I carried a Nikon, which is why it stuck out in my mind as strange.

At least you know one American now with some manners! I don't know what's up with that.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
And you should not. Your free to spend and do whatever you damn well please as long as it is legal. People have diffrent motivation for this , sometimes it truly is pure curiosity since these are not normal looking, than other times it's there 900 dollar Canon is the best thing out there. People do like to challenge the dollar amount we pay for this IQ. Than some are just clueless. Why I said its pretty funny

Well I wrote a fun reply the last 15 minutes and the iPad ran out of juice so I lost the text on the message screen...

Everyone's values differ on how much to spend on milk, a car, or a watch, let alone a camera - as a tool - or a hobby. There's just no wrong answer.

Bottom line:

1. Be nice. And you'll likely learn something new. I've met a new client or two in your exact situation. If you're good natured in your response, good karma will find you. Remember we are still in a giant depression economically. A digital back could have a similar effect on some, like driving up in your Ferrari in front of the occupy wall street demonstrations... My favorite ice breaker response: "I REALLY wish they only cost FOUR dollars."
2. Enjoy the multi-tasking aspect of shooting on deadline (sunrise) and carrying on interesting conversations like mental floss. This will make you a better photographer.
3. Enjoy the fact that you have "balls" to do what so many consider "not normal". You'll enjoy life a bit better for your experiences and triumphs and uniqueness. It's ok to be a bit selfish on personal matters. I've never bought a car to please someone else nor cameras for that matter. There are so many people out there that have "no balls" and will miss out on life because of it. Sometimes they make snide remarks to help them feel better about not being able to do things or take a chance for something they wish they really could... If they had balls. :D
4. Look for alternate "lonelier" places for your iconic imagery...

Robb.

Mark,

If I drove a Ferrari, I don't think I'd get the question, "Do you drive professionally?"
They will ask you:

"How much did that cost you?"
"What do you do for a living?"
"Can I be your assistant?"
"Can I have your baby?"
"How much do you make a year to drive that car?"
"How much is insurance?"
"What does it cost for an oil change?"
"Can I sit in it?"
"Can I take a photo of it?"
"I only pulled you over to get a closer look. How fast have you gotten it up to?"
"Have you taken it to the track?"
"Wanna race?"
"Are you a professional race car driver?" :thumbs:

And my favorite...

"Is that the new Mustang?"
:wtf:

The many similarities to a digital back are frightening...

Robb

David Schneider

"That's a nice camera - Is that a Digital back?"
"Are you a Professional?"
I stopped calling myself a "professional" a couple of years ago. Just too many people with any kind of camera and a business card calling themselves professionals. Now I'm a photography studio owner.

mesposito

I stopped calling myself a "professional" a couple of years ago. Just too many people with any kind of camera and a business card calling themselves professionals. Now I'm a photography studio owner.
Funny you should mention this because this guy gave me his business card after all of this. I left that out. Forgot about that until I read your post.

Joe,

No harm - no foul. I was throwing those up there for Mark. I think we posted about the same time. I'm ok with cute. I even used the word "pretty" around 25 times one morning at the CI workshop. :D

I enjoyed visiting your web site. I especially like your panoramics. The moon with the birds was stellar among many others.

I'll look forward to seeing your updates.

Robb.

Robb,

That's almost cute. You're probably 20 years my junior and haven't spent most of your life getting hardened by the corporate world, so I'll share a couple of personal tidbits:

1. Most people who know me describe me as being a "nice guy". But I don't hesitate to tell someone, "That's none of your business." That's not being rude or impolite. It's just being honest and straightforward. That takes courage.
2. I make too many mental mistakes as it is without having distractions. During surgery, would you want your surgeon to practice "mental floss"? Would that make him/her a better surgeon? I think not. Having a professional of your caliber next to me, giving me coaching assistance, would make me a better photographer.
3. If you knew me and were better aware of my background, you'd understand that a lack of "courage" isn't one of my problems.
4. No. We're given a limited number of sunrises and sunsets in life. As you age, you'll become more aware of just how short life really is. In Steve Jobs' speech at the 2005 Stanford commencement, he said:
Your time is limited, so don't waste it living someone else's life. Don't be trapped by dogma — which is living with the results of other people's thinking. Don't let the noise of others' opinions drown out your own inner voice. And most important, have the courage to follow your heart and intuition. They somehow already know what you truly want to become. Everything else is secondary.
Iconic or not, I enjoy every sunrise and sunset, wherever I witness them, and have been known to [politely] ask others to pause their conversations and do the same.

This is getting waaaay to serious! I need a glass of Chardonnay. :ROTFL:

KeithL

Anyway, I was taken back a bit when a Photographer (standing near me at sunrise one morning) asked me the following question...
I can't remember meeting another photographer on location. If I did I'd know I was in the wrong place.

fotografz

I get approached frequently while shooting ... professionally. Most of the time it's just curiosity, but sometimes it's envy or something related to envy, (like some manhood contest or something of that sort).

Personally, I'm never a smart aleck, curt, or blunt with anyone no matter how aggressive, curt or blunt they may be to me. It just ends up being more of a distraction anyway if you antagonize someone ... especially if they have an agenda. Manners and a pleasant tone to the response tends to diffuse most situations. My standard response is a diplomatic "blah, blah, blah" ... then cut it short with "I gotta get back to work."

So, even when shooting for myself, I answer ... "Yes, I am a professional photographer, and I have to get this shot or I'm dead meat." Works every time.

Last Monday I was doing a corporate shoot on location with my S2, and while I was setting up a fellow came up and pretty aggressively started to interview for a job ... including running down what gear he had, punctuated with ... "It's not a Leica," but ...

Evidently the Leica made him think I was more successful than I really am ;)

Frankly, we are the fortunate few in a growing world of have nots ... and I vividly remember being amongst the ranks of the have nots once upon a time. :) So, I keep a smile in my response.

To each his or her own.

-Marc

Lars

Standing on the other side of the fence - at this time I have no budget for MFDB gear regardless how much I'd like to - I have to admit that the same question crosses my mind when I see someone using MFDB - Pro or just wealthy?

I tend not to ask though - especially if I have my 8x10 out, life is too short for film vs digital debates.