The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Hasselblad CFV 1 Did I pay too much?

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
:-(

If you are able to get out of the sale and would like to discuss options in the lower price ranges from an entity which has a strong public reputation, who warranties their sales, offers simple evaluation rentals and no-questions-asked return policies you can contact a good dealer. This is a selfish/shameless plug in that we are a Phase One / Leaf dealer. But trust me when I say I'd much rather see you work with a good Hasselblad dealer who competes with us then bounce around eBay.

The other major benifit of a dealer is that it gives you someone to call when you have questions about the back, software, firmware, upgrade options, accessories, evaluations of obscure lenses etc. The manufacturers are set up to provide primary support through their dealers so are not set up to, themselves, answer the sorts of questions you're likely to have when you start using the system. The forums provide a very good way for you to ask specific and particurarly obscure questions - it's a very friendly and well informed group - but there is a general expectation here that you've done your homework before asking too many simple questions, especially on basic operations or setups. Rather than pour through user manuals that were written many years ago, much of which changes later with revised software or firmware, and pages upon pages of related posts on forums you'd have someone to make a quick call and get an easy answer.

Failing that, buying from a user on the forum, assuming they have a history on the forum (many posts and/or reviews on the buy/sell forum) sure beats the heck out of most eBay options in my opinion. Many users on this forum have bought and sold several backs/bodies/lenses/accesories and have a known reputation for their full disclosure, careful care of gear.

But eBay is, to me, the least desirable option. Sometimes major/reputable dealers sell off excess inventory through eBay; I don't include such cases here since you're basically buying from a dealer - you are just using eBay to fuffill the purchase. But more often than not you find either individual photographers or, worse, companies who don't specialize in digital bakcs selling them. If it's a normal camera store or a high-volume ebay seller who doesn't spend 9-5 every day with the equipment I can tell you they are ill-suited to properly evaluate the condition, accessories, and even sometimes the model of the back. With a used back the price to repair even seemingly minor physical/electronic problems can be very high (many of these backs must be opened in a clean room and the spare parts were ordered when they were much more expensive than they would be today to guarentee availability). A small scratch on a filter can easily be more than US$1k depending on the brand/make/model if you have no warranty. Nearly all the pre-owned equipment we sell for instance comes with a clearly stated 6 month warranty and often we are placing that warranty on the equipment ourselves so you can be darned sure we inspect the crap out of the equipment before we sell it so we don't send something out the door with a problem.

At the end of the day a great price on a back you don't want or which has any issues is NOT a good deal :).

My advice is the same every time: Do NOT find a "good deal" and research to see if it's the right back for you, choose what back is right for you and then look for a good deal on it.

Doug Peterson (e-mail Me)

Head of Technical Services, Capture Integration
Phase One Partner of the Year
Leaf, Leica, Cambo, Arca Swiss, Canon, Apple, Profoto, Broncolor, Eizo & More

National: 877.217.9870 *| *Cell: 740.707.2183
Newsletter | RSS Feed
Buy Capture One 6 at 10% off

Masters Series Workshop:
New England Landscape - Fall Color (Oct 5-8)

johnnygoesdigital

Tony,

After searching for my own CFV-16, I agree with PeterA, the price of $2500 for a CFV-16 is unlikely, so your price is not too far off. As long as your DB arrives in good condition, and its as advertised, you will enjoy this DB. I had the chance to purchase one when I owned an H4D, but couldn't justify the expense. If you decide after using it, that you want the rectangular sensor you can post it here, it will sell.

yaya

You can use the Procentre in UK as a measure for more realistic prices on used Hassy kit with a dealer warranty and support. Mind you quoted prices are in GBP and are likely a bit higher than the selling prices.

bensonga

Based on the two CFV-16 backs listed as SOLD on the Procentre site.....looks like a price of ~$4,500 USD is about right.
Gary

jotloob

Subscriber Member
About 3 month ago the trade in price you could get for a CFV-16 I or II in good condition was about 3k € here in Germany . These backs were then sold for around 4k € or a little more .
There will hardly be a good back below this price .

PeterA

I didn't mean to come across as being aggressive - but what I can say is that there is nothing special about the CFV16 -(for me) except for the fact that it mates perfectly with both 200 and 500 series blads.

IF you weren't concerned about the 200 series issue- then I could say that A Leaf 22 or a Phase P25( or +) or a Sinar as mentioned previously - are fine backs offering more than enough headroom to make decent shots.

Or you can buy a Sinar 75LV which is 33 megapixels and use any number of adaptors to use the back on any camera you like for less than 10K.

Around the same price point ( slightly used) I am just awaiting delivery of a Leaf Afi 11-7 I bought to use as a back up for my Sinar on tech cameras and I am quite excited about the purchase - Leaf has a beautiful colour straight out of the box and no need for a wake-up cable, a rotating sensor (inbuilt) - really cool!

However - we are all maybe a year or two away of seeing the price point of excellent backs below $5K - it will happen .

Good Luck
Pete

elrafo

I know I am a bit late, but, Just for fun: CFV16 are still rare and for Sale on eBay above 5000, 7000 USD... I can say that back in 2011, 5000 USD was a great price ;)

I just got one for 5,000 and I love to shoot Square ! this is a question of taste... (this back kicks out my 5D Markii :)

cheers

fotografz

Tony,

1) If you feel screwed, you should have done your homework better.

2) You weren't screwed IF the CVF/16 is in good working order, and you put it to good use. While you may have paid a bit of a premium, you do have to consider that these backs don't come up for sale all that often ... so you could have waited for a longer time, maybe a very long time to get a good one ... time that you could be shooting with it.

3) There actually isn't a huge difference between the CFV/16 and CFV/16-II. One of the chief differences is that Hasselblad changed the sensor filter to one that is more anti-reflective. The down-side of the new filter is that it is apparently a bit softer, and scratches easier. Personally, I never saw any real difference in performance between the two.

Frankly, the CFV is unique for use on the 500 and/or 200 series cameras ... not only does it cosmetically match the V cameras with chrome piping, it is the ONLY DB that works without a sync cord from lens to back to trigger it ... having worked with a number of backs requiring sync cord triggering, I can say that it can be and often is the weakest link in the shooting process. This especially true with the older V lenses with the non-locking sync ports which were notorious for being trouble prone. The CVF simply doesn't need all that stuff, clip it on and shoot. Plus, as mentioned by Peter A, no other DB fully works on the fantastic 200 series cameras with a slight modification to the camera.

To date, I've yet to see a DB that produces the same look and feel of the CFV/16 backs, including the CVF/39 or 50 ... nor for some reason any of the other fat pixel backs.

Here's my "WORD" on the CFV from the Hasselblad website ... and images shot with the same back you just purchased:

Planet V - Hasselblad.com

-Marc

jlm

Workshop Member
funny, but my first reaction today is quite different from 2 yrs ago. at that time, 20mpx was not so shabby. tougher to justify today. biggest draw for me with the CV I, II is the native square format, last of the breed, biggest disadvantage is the 1.3 crop, (limiting WA) i could easily live with the IQ, pixel count be damned.

always loved the V Blad ergonomics, (until they went to the rectangular format CV39)

Mammy645

funny, but my first reaction today is quite different from 2 yrs ago. at that time, 20mpx was not so shabby. tougher to justify today. biggest draw for me with the CV I, II is the native square format, last of the breed, biggest disadvantage is the 1.3 crop, (limiting WA) i could easily live with the IQ, pixel count be damned.

always loved the V Blad ergonomics, (until they went to the rectangular format CV39)
A big fat 6x6 sensor for the V-series is still a wet dream for me, albeit just a dream. What I will never understand though is why Hassy never made a back with a rotating sensor, not to mention why they discontinued the V-series in the first place. Like Leica still makes the M7 and MP they could have kept it as an alternative to the 645, if nothing else as an exercise in brand management. It's such an iconic camera and such a large part of the Hasselblad heritage.

jlm

Workshop Member
among other things, i think the passing of the V has to do with the perceived need for autofocus, something i can live without, being a bit of an iconoclast

Uaiomex

You frustration is mine too. Trying to understand Hasselblad's decisions on behalf of the V system beats all logic in the multiverse. I've been waiting for a decade for Hasselblad to come with the right back. In the meantime, my system has turned almost into just paper weights.
Just last week, I started looking (once again) for used d-backs on the internet. After going through, I just managed to get some buying decisions that vaporized every time I turned my eyes to the D800.
Since I can't just walk into a store and borrow a digital back for a test-drive (my geography doesn't allow it) buying the latest and finest of what DSLR's systems offer makes a lot more sense. God knows how much I wish to shoot with my "V" again, but maybe I am more of a pragmatic person than I ever thought I was.
I hope the OP enjoys the CFV1. I know I could not. Certainly not for $5.5K!
Eduardo

A big fat 6x6 sensor for the V-series is still a wet dream for me, albeit just a dream. What I will never understand though is why Hassy never made a back with a rotating sensor, not to mention why they discontinued the V-series in the first place. Like Leica still makes the M7 and MP they could have kept it as an alternative to the 645, if nothing else as an exercise in brand management. It's such an iconic camera and such a large part of the Hasselblad heritage.

Last edited:

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
among other things, i think the passing of the V has to do with the perceived need for autofocus, something i can live without, being a bit of an iconoclast
The MF guys have all embraced AF - something personally I also probably use the least on any of my cameras.

Uaiomex

Film calls all right but using film nowadays is not that easy anymore. It has to be especially ordered from Mexico City. Then sent back for processing.
Prices for both film and processing have gone up considerably.
Scanning. Well, scanning film was never a productive activity. After all this trouble finding out that a simple stitch of 2 images from my 5D2 can produce a better image, the whole project falls.
Only advantage left is the joy of composing and framing on a big waist level finder and the manual operation of the camera.
For a very few personal projects it might work though.

"You can't have it all, especially in the digital age of photography"
-Eduardo Cervantes

P.S. Very nice gallery Antonio. thanks for sharing. Love the look of the format. The 3Dness is there almost always. The bokeh is so different to digital. Film rocks, no doubt. There is a strong rumor about a new killer Plustek 120 scanner. This might change present things if true.

Why not just use it with film? That's what I'm doing and it's a nice change from shooting digital all the time.

Flickr: Hassy501CM's Photostream

/antonio

Mammy645

P.S. Very nice gallery Antonio. thanks for sharing. Love the look of the format. The 3Dness is there almost always. The bokeh is so different to digital. Film rocks, no doubt. There is a strong rumor about a new killer Plustek 120 scanner. This might change present things if true.
Thanks, that's what I feel too, film definitely has a very different feel to it, so I enjoy shooting both. Here's the scanner you're talking about, and yes it looks very promising indeed. OpticFilm 120 | Introduction | Plustek

Cheers
antonio

Uaiomex

Antonio, I just found this at B&H. It good for 6X12 like the Plustek, the only 2 scanners I know that can take this film size. Do you know if this is a Plustek marketed in America as Pacific film?
The Plustek seems to be sold only in the middle east. They both seem to be HQ'd in Taipei.
Eduardo
Pacific Image PrimeFilm 120 Multi-Format CCD Film PRIMEFILM 120

Thanks, that's what I feel too, film definitely has a very different feel to it, so I enjoy shooting both. Here's the scanner you're talking about, and yes it looks very promising indeed. OpticFilm 120 | Introduction | Plustek

Cheers
antonio

Mammy645

Antonio, I just found this at B&H. It good for 6X12 like the Plustek, the only 2 scanners I know that can take this film size. Do you know if this is a Plustek marketed in America as Pacific film?
The Plustek seems to be sold only in the middle east. They both seem to be HQ'd in Taipei.
Eduardo
Pacific Image PrimeFilm 120 Multi-Format CCD Film PRIMEFILM 120
Eduardo, Pacific Image is a different brand and that scanner has gotten really bad reviews, don't waste your money on it. The Plustek OpticFilm 120 has not yet been released but word is it will be out in July and it will be available in most parts of the world. There is a long thread about it over at photo.net, with input from an employee of Plustek, it seems they have very high ambitions with this scanner. Here's the link if you want to read it: Plustek OpticFilm 120 - Photo.net Digital Darkroom Forum