The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Hasselblad CFV 1 Did I pay too much?

Tony

Ok so I picked this up today. http://www.ebay.com/itm/16066653495...X:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649#ht_4968wt_1165

I am a little concerned that I might have paid too much. When I bid on it I did it fast because I thought it was a CFV-39. At that price it would have been a steal. Then I looked at the pictures in the listing a little better and noticed the square sensor. What do you think? I would have liked to have been around $4500 but these backs seem hard to come by. I would have preferred the CFVII at this price, but I just dont know. In the end I am just going to shoot it and have fun, but I want to make sure I didn't pay too much.

Thanks,
Tony

Shashin

The odd thing is the box says CFV 39. The serial number on the box does not match the serial number on the back. Should it?

Sorry, I have no idea on a fair price, though.

Tony

yeah thats what threw me off. The listing was definitely misleading but in the end it is a clean CFV 1 for $5500. I think I am in the park just on the high side for a CFV 1. I have been wanting to put a DB on my V for a long time. I am pretty sure I won't be selling unless the crop factor becomes an issue. I shoot mostly landscapes and abstracts and I prefer longer lenses. Stitching with my flexbody is always a possibility for wider landscape images. I can't help but wonder if I would be losing anything by getting the P20 instead, they seem to be less expensive and the longer exposure times could be a factor for me. I have some decisions to make before the CFV ships. Thanks for your reply.

Tony

bensonga

The listing could easily be construed as misleading to the unwary eye, but the seller did disclose that the box was not original and was from a CFV-39. To be very clear, the listing should have said it was a CFV-16, especially now that the CFV-39 and CFV-50 are out there (and considering the mismatched box).

Did you pay too much? I think it's safe to say that you paid top dollar for a CFV-16, original version.

In any case, I hope you enjoy using the CFV!

Gary
CFV-16 II

johnnygoesdigital

Yeah, that is most certainly misleading unless your familiar with the square sensor. I be curious to know how the seller honors a 7 day return, when it's estimated to take almost a month to ship, one way! I'm looking to purchase one too, but only from CONUS.

pophoto

Looking at your link, I'd say it is misleading.
Just because the box isn't original, I don't think there was very much description telling you otherwise.

If it were me, I would exercise their 7 day return policy, contact them first and let them know!

Tony

thank you for the input I have sent a request to the seller to cancel the transaction. I will keep a look out for something else. Really wanted those fat pixels, but there are other options I think. Thanks again.

richardman

Wait for a P30/P30+, I just sold mine for $4400. They really are at the sweet spot for price and performance. The buyer loves it.

JorisV

$5.5K is probably on the high end especially if it does not come with any form of warranty whatsoever, that being said I see people easily paying $4K for one and even the old Kodak backs are still being sold for $3K+.

johnnygoesdigital

IMO, all original packaging should stay with a DB of this caliber. It speaks volumes for the condition of the item and the owner. I agree that a price of approximately, $2500 is a better deal. Take your time and find the right CFV. The P30/30+, although nice DB's, require a cable connection to use on a "V" camera. The matching CFV/ DB, is a thing of beauty.

BANKER1

Sorry Theirry, but I disagree. Maybe your brand goes for that amount, but the CFV 16 goes for $4,000 to $5,000 if you can find one.

Greg

Tony

Too late, I paid right away. Seller says he already shipped and some other things that weren't so nice. I might just refuse the package.

Thierry

Hi Greg,

No problem, if we disagree. It is my opinion that because it is one of the oldest sensor, with the oldest electronics around it, and when getting a 22 MPx at around US$ 4'000,- (see e.g. Graham's 22 MPx eMotion 54, with internal memory, LV, etc ...) that the price is way too much.

Not be be forgotten: it is a 16 MPx square sensor, which has to be cropped when wanting a 2x3 or 3x4 ratio, making this back close to 11 MPx, resp. 12 MPx.

In addition to the above comes that the buyer couldn't test the back. There might be some deed pixel lines, a scratched IR filter. 16 MPx sensors are not longer available.

Well all this make me say that I would never have bought it.

Thierry

PS: I don't have or represent any DB brand here, just speaking according to my knowledge.

Sorry Theirry, but I disagree. Maybe your brand goes for that amount, but the CFV 16 goes for $4,000 to $5,000 if you can find one.

Greg

S

Shelby Lewis

Be careful... this is a public forum. (just a reminder). Buyer's remorse generally isn't grounds for a return.

(but I feel your pain!)

bensonga

My impression is that Hasselblad owners are prepared to pay more for a used CFV-16 back than for similar products from Phase One, Leaf, Sinar etc. I'm confident I could get more than $2,500 for my CFV-16 II, if I wanted to sell it (not likely).

Gary

ghoonk

Therein lies the problem. I've been looking for a CFV-16 for the longest time, but have not been able to find one. While the price appears to be slightly on the high side, it comes down to a question of whether one is prepared to pay the premium for something that I would consider on the rare side.

A CFV-39 goes in the region of USD15k, and let's not even discuss the CFV-50. The CFV-16 has the legendary fat pixel, and it works nicely with the V-series. Considering how much I enjoy shooting with my 500CM, more so that I enjoy shooting with my H4D-31, I'd have gotten some good mileage out of the CFV-16

Tony, enjoy what you have. It's not something that comes along every day. Especially not in the condition that you got that in.

If anyone's selling a CFV-16, I'd love to know about it :)

PeterA

I have a CFV16-11 and all the stuff it came with since new and with very low activations I guesstimate <500 - and if people think that this back is worth $2K - they are in lala land.:ROTFL::ROTFL: or to put in in perspective the back to me is worth more than a front and rear lens capr for an Alpa lens:D

There is no other back with a square sensor that works perfectly on a 200 series Hassleblad camera without requiring cables and shutter speed limits and thats why I bought one.

of course there are many many newer nicer more technicall brilliant and lovely backs to choose from - but none of these will do the job with a 200 series body - and there are a few eccentrics out there who still 'rate' the 200 series bodies and their old school F/FE lenses highly.

The CFV 16 in either guise low megapixel count actually suits the clunkier old style large mirrored hasselbald bodies and lenses - whilst in fat light ( I should have copywrit that) the back delivers beautiful fat rich colour.

Good luck everyoen with your 2-4K searches!