The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Investment group acquires 44% of Leica

vjbelle

I received an email from Leica 'Newsletter Leica Forum' that an investment group under advisement of Blackstone has acquired a 44% minority interest in Leica.

"This morning Leica officially announced that Andreas Kaufmann's ACM is selling 44% minority stake of Leica Camera shares to investment funds advised by Blackstone."

They must see something......

Victor

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
Kaufmann sees a great return on his investment no doubt given the current Positive M9, lens and S2 situation and robust demand. Smart.

jonoslack

Kaufmann sees a great return on his investment no doubt given the current Positive M9, lens and S2 situation and robust demand. Smart.
Indeed - I wonder how the sale of 40% compares with what he's put into the company over the last few years? Rather well I suspect!

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
I have nothing but respect for Leica these days. I respect them for standing up against the tide of pressure to turn them in to yet another me-too manufacturer of mediocrity. They are the Morgan cars of the camera industry and good for them!

Now I just need to work on getting myself another M9P & 35 'lux ... Oh, hold on, the cupboard is bare and there's a wait list :D

glenerrolrd

Workshop Member
There is a good discussion over at the LUF . One poster a former financial reporter for the times,CNBC etc does a good job of explaining the issues .

A

a_summarita

Great news although luxury brand company will have a tough time ahead in this economic climate. Some of them are at record low price and that makes them an attractive M&A targets while low-price brands like Walmart/Cotsco are seeing their shares flying high.

Some will argue Leica will always have its own niche market. Time will tell. I sure hope they will be awesome for many years to come :)

bensonga

There is a good discussion over at the LUF . One poster a former financial reporter for the times,CNBC etc does a good job of explaining the issues .
And that financial reporter (markgay) has a very negative view of Blackstone, it's motivations and the likely long term financial impact of this deal on Leica.

Gary

Terry

I posted on that thread. Not sure I agree with all of the assessments on that thread.

Graham Mitchell

I wrote a long reply to this but the more I thought about it, the more I realized that without reading the relevant documents, we are all just guessing.

I just hope that Kaufmann's majority shareholding continues and that he can use it to protect the company.