The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Tight interior shooting workflow? multi shot to simulate wider lens?

faneuil

I am mainly a portraitist - so forgive my newbie-ish architectural shooting qustion:

I am looking photograph tight space (bathrooms, small bedrooms etc) and capture a decent sense of the space.

Using p65+ back and P1 body. Widest lens I have is 35mm.
I've tried C1 keystone correction multiple 35mm shots and then stitching in PS with poor results.
Goal: Construct the look of one wide angle shot (say 20mm or so) using several shots.

Best results so far have been:
1) on tripod of course
2) 35 mm lens, MF camera aligned vertically.
3) 5-6 overlapping shots as I pan side to side
4) no keystone correction, merge to panorama (Perspective mode) in PS

Also have 45mm, 55mm and 80mm lenses available.
Any tips or links hugely appreciated.
thanks.
Eric

PS. getdpi meeting up at PhotoExpo next week?

I would suggest using something like autopano or similar as it will calculate the change in angle from a single point as all the stitched images are rendered. I've never had much success with PS, plus there is no control in PS when something goes wrong.

The second problem you have is that you need a bracket or extension bar to get the nodal point of then lens to be above the pivot point of the tripod head. The less the lens moves the better the final image will be. If the lens moves too much you start to 'look around' (or look over if you pan vertically) stuff in the foreground. You need to minimise changes between near and far objects.

Paul

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
With a pan-stitch rendered as flat or "perspective correct" understand you will loose a bunch of image height in the middle frames due to the perspective squish. The more you panned, the more the squish. You only get a little with a half frame either side of center, but a lot of squish for a 6-frame sweep. So you usually want to shoot quite a bit looser than you normally do -- like if your 35 lens looks about right, shoot it with your 24... You'll see the middle of your frame squish when AP renders the preview, then you crop the edges to that.

faneuil

thanks Jack.
spent about 3 hours learning autopano this AM. once you get the control point editing thing down it is STUNNING software.

best results playing around for a tight interior have been 3-4 stitched *vertical* 24mm shots with my 5d MkII.

still looking at a sigma 10-20mm lens, but autopano might just save me.

Eric